12.5 million people download Opera 10.10 in first week

By on December 7, 2009, 5:30 PM
Opera announced today that its November 23 launch of Opera version 10.10 has shattered previous download records. Within one week, 12.5 million people downloaded the Web browser's latest build. This marks a 25% increase from the download rate of Opera 10, which the company released only two months earlier.

Opera 10.10 promised to "reinvent the Web" with a new featured dubbed "Unite". Unite turns any computer into both a client and a server, supporting things like file transfers, media streaming and photo sharing without using third party products. The most recent version also brought "Opera Turbo", a server-side optimization and compression technology that improves browsing speeds by compressing network traffic.

"With such remarkable download numbers, I am confident that we truly appealed to the needs of the Web-using public," said Opera CEO Jon von Tetzchner. The company also said its browser currently has about 45 million active desktop users -- a drop in the bucket -- and millions more on other devices. If you're among that handful of people, let's hear your impression of Opera 10.10 and why you prefer it to other, more popular solutions.

Se7enVII said:

I'm guessing a large majority of these downloads are from people just wanting to test the new release. Heck, I think I'll go and download 10.10 now and see what the fuss is all about.

vangrat said:

I am going to have to agree with Se7enVII on this one as my biggest complaint about Opera is the freeze that happense when you try to go full screen in any flash application. The whole browser locks up and you have to wait 5-20 seconds for it to actually activate at which point you can then go full screen. This is even after enabling hardware acceleration in Flash. I finally gave up and went back to FireFox as I couldn't stand it anymore.

Opera 10.10 seems to hang up on me also. After using it to browse a newspaper website, other applications, such as Songbird, used afterward, don't terminate properly. Can't use it.

Been using Opera for around a decade now, it does have problems with certain sites, but it's usually not their fault, alot of sites refuse to comply with web standards. I have problems with the flash beta, but its a beta, so I don't really expect it to work without some bugs. I wish flash would die anyway, it stinks that so many popular sites use it.

The built in ad blocker rocks in Opera as well. Just right click and select block content, and pick which ad to block.

I haven't tried unite yet, but I plan on trying it with some friends that use Opera.

Opera is the way to go after using Firefox and Chrome for the last year or so. I am sick of the hype that those 2 browsers get and in my view Opera has been very underestimated. I would not touch it a couple of years ago but since version 9.0 it has been my favourite way of accessing the web. I have occasional issues with (e.g. on my LAN, the web console management webpage for my server would not display properly) it but its speed and simplicity outweights everything.

Go Opera !!!

levar said:

Not a fan of opera but I like the new changes. Especially the whole Opera Unite thing very unique.

Been using Opera for many years. It's different enough from IE that it can coexist without trying to compete. Also the geek credit factor is small which is a good thing.

dhanushka83 said:

Opera is good browser. I feel it Several times. But major community never experience that, Bcus of Crazy IE, Chrome and Opera are best free Browser Softwares Available.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I too have been using Opera for about 10 years now, it seems odd to me that 10.10 got so many downloads...

If I had to guess a reason why its because Opera 10 will automatically download the update for you.

I don't have any issues with it going full screen with flash, seems to work fine for me, no delay.

Ithryl said:

Been using Opera for several years now. Other browsers just seem kinda clumsy.

Can't say I've had any issues with the 10.10 so far.

lfg18 said:

i haven't tried the new version of this browser, now i'm using firefox, and I'm very comfortable with it, but if I changed It would probably be chrome, which is faster than firefox but needs more RAM

Puiu Puiu said:

I've been switching between Firefox and Opera at home.I use FF for daily browsing and i use Opera when my wireless is really slow for some reason or when i need a proxy (turbo acts just like a proxy server).

Compared to 9, Opera 10 is a lot better. Now all i need is the final version of FF 3.6.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

dhanushka83 said:

dont make me laugh firefox is a better browser than all of the ones you listed you would have to be blind to think that opera is better.

holyPaladin said:

Opera is better than IE

jtickner1 jtickner1, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Go Opera!

I've been using it for years now and will continue to do so

No Flash issues for me either.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

I've been using Opera for well over a decade, I simply love it

Chrome is also nice, especially on sites very heavy on java script , like the Swedish site prisjakt.nu (like pricerunner but with a billion times better search engine)

I'm a long time Opera user, I use Opera and Firefox depending on need but far prefer Opera for several key features:

1) Firefox 3.5 has some weird display issues with high dynamic range images (exhibits clipping in highlights and shadows) which is related to it's colour management. This has been seen in XP, Vista and Win 7 on multiple systems with calibrated and non-calibrated screens.

2) Firefox consumes more RAM, when it's got almost the same comparable functionality as Opera though extensions. With the same pages/usage patterns, plus Opera releases memory more readily.

3) Opera Link is a great way to share your bookmarks, notes, history, etc between my mobile/desktop computers.

4) Unite gives me control over my own content so I can decide who I want to share it with.

5) Opera is faster at both loading web pages and starting up.

6) In Linux Flash is far more stable with Opera than any other browser. The pain with some distros is that Opera IPv6 support is flaky.

7) Functionality is far greater out of the box with Opera, but they doesn't really advertise it's there so most people don't realise what's under the hood.

8) Tabs, Opera still has the best tab system of all the browsers. Thumbnails, locked tabs, drag and create new window and so on.

9) Shortcuts. Got several ways to open multiple pages either by assigning a word/letters to the bookmark folder or by creating a session. This way you can open 20-30 pages in seconds.

Before you think I'm a Opera fanboy some things that really need to be dealt with:

1) lack of meaningful widgets. Yes Opera is extensible but how easy is it? Also it's not advertised as broadly as Firefox. They way Widgets is also going to be different in 10.20 as they are going to be semi-independent applications in that they will run without Opera running but Opera still needs to be installed.

2) Dragonfly is a great start but we have to wait till the next Presto engine to get the new features? That's a long time between development cycles to improve functionality.

3) Better support for existing features, Opera has a nasty habit of adding features and then leaving them to languish.

In many ways Opera is for power users and researchers who spend some time learning it's quirks and features. Opera could spend a lot more time making it far more accessible to everyone, but like the additions of features Opera has a hands off approach which to be honest has hurt them.

Another factor is that Opera has never spent big bucks on advertising their browser, but yet pretty much dominates the mobile device market and is featured on some consoles.

It's not the perfect browser but in many ways it's far more refined and in comparison to Firefox 3.5 far more secure out of the box. Since 3.5 came out it's had 5 updates for both stability and security, Opera has had two; one was a security release and the second was a feature/bug fix. A lot of people feel that 3.5 was rushed out of the door and the subsequent releases back this up.

pracheck said:

Been using Opera since 2005 and have so far been satisfied with its performance. Its not perfect but a lot better in speed and in customising it copmared to IE, firefox and Chrome which i also use from time to time. Opera's speed, tab browsing & recovering previously closed tabs/pages beats them all in my book.

Serag said:

I guess most of the downloads are aimed to check out "Unite" which is a great idea imo...

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

unless someone can point me to a way to get mouse gestures working in Opera I will be sticking with firefox :-) Firefox extensions rule!

Been using Opera for several years now... every time I try a new browser, I always come back to Opera somehow.

raybay said:

Opera is better than Internet Explorer. Firefox is better than Opera. The test will be Google's browser.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

compdata; Opera has had mouse gestures for years, just look in the preferences

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I guess I'll give this a try but I'm still happy with Firefox. Personally I'd prefer a browser with less features and bloat, something that is incredibly fast with low memory consumption.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Install Opera -> Do a mouse gesture -> click yes to the question asking if you want to continue using mouse gestures.

JMMD -> look at the install size of Opera and FF. I believe Opera is smaller, and if it isn't its extremely close.

maestromasada said:

I'll have to stick to IE for the goods. It is the ONLY browser that can display subfolders on our OWA at work, got the feeling that the administrator setup the exchange server in such a way that OWA only works fine when using IE, snif! snif!

cyriene said:

I'm a tab ***** and Opera has better tab management than FF. I easily have 60+ tabs open at all times and Opera chugs along just fine. FF used to choke after being open a day or so like that.

Plus I have different sessions and Opera sync to have my bookmarks synced with my laptop make it great.

Love it. Opera is the best browser I have ever used. It's blisteringly fast and has all the features I want

@klepto12

You sir, make me laugh thinking that Firefox is a better browser than Opera. Clearly another FF fanboy that hasn't yet given it a solid chance.

Out of the box, Opera smashes firefox with it's functionality. IE, FF, and Chrome have always been playing catch up. And since they can't catch up, they rely on their users to do their work for them by creating extensions. Even with them relying on their users, they are still in the back seat.

So, to enjoy Opera, download, install.

To enjoy Firefox and make it usable, first download Firefox, install, go find all of your favorite extensions, download, install, and when you are done, you still won't have the same functionality that I have in Opera. And more than likely your extension with be a half-assed implementation of what is standard and polished in Opera.

Is Opera the perfect browser? No. I will not deny the issues that Guest 3:04am posted.

Furthermore I will go on and confirm what Guest at 7:33pm posted. Opera does have problems with some sites. Is it Opera's fault? Not likely. Opera drew a line in the sand and refused to cross it or look back. Its vision is very forward, developing for what the web will be tomorrow, rather than what it was 10 years ago.

I blame the companies who run those sites that only IE or Firefox works on. Google is one of them that doesn't adhere to web standards. When will you get on board Google?

raybay said:

Opera is good, but it has few users. As a result of low usage, Opera doesn't have the clout that it takes to effect change on a variety of Internet and communication sites.

Someday, maybe, if it continues to be good enough and among the most competitive, it will gain that clout. For my purposes, it is too often useless.

@raybay

I'm not sure I follow your logic. Its good, but has few users, so it doesn't have the clout? 12.5 million downloads in the first week? I would say that what Opera lacks most is any effort on the part of their marketing department. Don't forget, there was a time when IE had nearly 90% market share.

I'd be curious to know what makes Opera useless for you. If it is a site that doesn't work in Opera, I would find it hard to blame Opera if the site wasn't using web standards. Blame the owners of the website. And more than likely, they won't display properly in FF either. You would probably HAVE to use IE.

I do have those websites, specifically internal corporate websites that only support IE. So I have two browsers that I use. Opera I use as default, and IE for everything else. Why IE? Because I don't have to worry about that site not working properly in another browser. I know everything works in IE.

Without posting examples, you are really just making empty accusations.

Quote : from Guest 1 week ago 05:04 AM, (post #829164)

" 3) Better support for existing features, Opera has a nasty habit of adding features and

then leaving them to languish."

Yes - lack of support for existing features, including basic functions such as printing, is a problem. E.g, ability to customize print headers and footers is a longstanding user request.

I prefer Opera but end up using FF, for consistency in output format as well as customized headers, when I anticipate possibly wanting print a page (such as a receipt or other hard-

copy documention.).

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

My experience with Opera has been that it locks up the graphics in my computer during large downloads, (IE; a Linux distro). The download is successful yes, but I lose control of the desktop.

Also Opera doesn't have the privacy mode that is in FF. I suppose that's no big thing, but still, after exiting Firefox running in privacy mode, you really don't even need to run CCleaner. Opera leaves quite a bit more "residue".

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

For privacy. I believe if you wanted things cleared everytime after use, you could go to Opera Preferences -> Advanced then in cookies and history choose the delete/empty on exit thing for both of them. That should take care of things, but if you wanted to do it manually (in like 2 steps) you can go to tools advanced -> delete private data, and then choose what you want deleted.