Mozilla preparing to launch the first mobile version of Firefox

By on December 9, 2009, 3:50 PM
Mozilla is polishing its first version of Firefox for smartphones, and is preparing to launch a release candidate next week with an official debut coming later this month. Codenamed "Fennec" (derived from the Fennec Fox), Firefox Mobile is Mozilla's attempt to claim a chunk of the mobile browser share.

Mozilla's vice president of mobile, Jay Sullivan, claims the feature-rich browser is "almost an operating system." Firefox Mobile currently supports things like geolocation and orientation direction, but even more functionality is on the way. According to Sullivan, the browser will support multitouch displays, haptic feedback, electrolysis, JetPack, WebGL, and the ability to control a camera.

Not to mention that Firefox Mobile and the upcoming Firefox 3.6 are based on the same underlying code, which opens a door unavailable to WebKit-based browsers like Safari Mobile on the iPhone and many others. Firefox Mobile is compatible with many extensions made for its desktop counterpart, for example. Among the 30 or so currently available is AdBlock Plus.

Nokia's unconventional, Maemo-based N900 handset will be the first to receive Firefox Mobile. Nokia is reportedly open to including the browser in the next version of Maemo (due late next year). In the meantime, N900 owners can currently download a beta version by visiting Mozilla.com/m.

The Windows Mobile version of Firefox is currently in alpha testing and should be ready in the first half of 2010. An Android version is in development but few details are available.

lfg18 said:

Firefox is one of the best browsers I've ever tried, it almost never fails and it is fast, has lots of add ons and is pretty safe, it is good to see that it is coming to mobile devices

I'm sure the Apple Nazis will try to ban any mobile Mozilla app from their App Store. No wonder people want jailbroken iPhones.

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

Inadvertently, this may open the door for Flash/Java and support for other plug-ins or plug-in like behavior through Firefox. If FF can offer this functionality, Apple might be pressured to allow or provide their own support for these features in Mobile Safari (Flash, for example)

That wouldn't surprise me at all, but the built-in Safari Mobile browser doesn't leave a lot to be desired anyway.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

WoW! Mozilla is comming hard into the mobile market!

Hope it works out for the best, which is satisfying the customer.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I don't need all the extra functionality. I just want a mobile browser that will be as compatible as possible (which hopefully this will be), perform well and manage to get around the limited screen space (which is the major problem).

Oh, and few bugs. A previous version I tried on my Windows Mobile phone didn't work well.

Razerblade said:

I have tried the alpha versions of the Windows Mobile version and it is slow and bloated. I was really disappointed with it! I hope they have improved it since i last tried it.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Two words: FLASH, IPHONE.

Please Mozilla do something about this glaring hole in the iPhone Safari browser!

windmill007 said:

FLASH BLACKBERRY!!! PLEASE!

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

To bad Apple will never let it in to the app store. About time someone sues Apple for monopolistic business practices.

Can someone please tell me what firefox is? My boyfriend calls me his Firefox (BTW he is a computer techie) but now i get to figure out it has something to do with the internet? I am so going to hate him if my sexy nickname has a geeky meaning :|

Flannelwarrior said:

Clevertroll?

Anyway..

I will be using Firefox mobile as soon as I can possibly get my hands on it, for my Android phone.

Tedster Tedster, Techspot old timer....., said:

will definitely be nice to have it for my droid phone