Onkyo intros dual-screen laptop, Sotec DX1007

By on December 11, 2009, 4:54 PM
Japanese electronics maker Onkyo has introduced the market's second dual-screen notebook. The Sotec DX1007 brings a few improvements over Kohjinsha's dual-display DZ6HKE16E laptop, which also launched recently, but is otherwise virtually indistinguishable.

Onkyo's product increases each 10.1-inch display's resolution to 1366x768 and boosts the RAM to 2GB compared to Kohjinsha's 1024x600 and 1GB offering. The Sotec DX1007 also brings twice as much storage space with a 320GB HDD instead of 160GB.

Both systems pack a 1.6GHz Athlon Neo MV-40 single core processor and Radeon HD 3200 integrated graphics. Other features include a 1.3 megapixel webcam, 802.11 Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1, three USB ports, as well as a multi-card and fingerprint reader.

It's worth noting that the DX1007 reportedly offers less battery life at 3.7 hours versus 4.5 hours. Onkyo's Sotec DX1007 is expected launch in Japan on December 21, and will be priced at $960 -- just like the DZ6HKE16E.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Pretty slick looking device. But that 1.6Ghz single core proc is brutal...

Rapidhic said:

I though laptops meant mobility not movie projectors...

pkww2 said:

The price is a killer for netbook, no wonder they only offer in Japan. Never will gain any market in US!

jtickner1 jtickner1, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Jeez, that thing is frigging crazy.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

pkww2 said:

Yet this is a "NOTEBOOK" aka "Laptop", NOT a netbook. Huge difference. Reading is fundamental.

BlindObject said:

useless. 1.6ghz SINGLE? lol no.

Puiu Puiu said:

This is really ugly, underpowered and impractical. I would never buy something like this. For 1k$ you have a lot of big laptops (17inch) which have great hardware too.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Rapidhic said:

I though laptops meant mobility not movie projectors...

You'd need to buy 2 tickets to travel by train/air.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

i wont lie the actual notebook itself looks ugly, what is this model from a bad 1990's movie? I figure the cheap short battery life is due to the face that I doubt this thing is meant to be moved and would be better for stationary at an office. The duel screen has some uses, however, the price and machine is not worth it. What are you going to do on this weak machine...Have twitter open on one screen and facebook on the other, cmon! For $900 get yourself a nice computer/notebook with 10x the power of this with 1 screen and trust me you'll be happy. Get windows 7 and use snap feature!

i love the idea of a dual screen laptop, but this attempt is just lame.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

A bit small to be worth it in my opinion. If you really need dual monitor just get a good external one and keep it at your desk ;-)

ken777 said:

This is silly in a netbook form factor. You end up with a monstrosity that's expensive, heavy, and under-powered. Who's the target market for this? It seems like the users who would want/need a dual screen laptop are those working in video, software dev, engineering, etc. It would make a lot more sense to put the dual screens into a high-end workstation-type laptop.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

This would be embarrassing to use. I don't know about the rest of you, but If I see someone with a huge laptop I have the expectation that it doesn't suck...I can't imagine that many people wanting to sacrifice processing power, RAM, and that much vertical screen size and still be near the $1,000 price range... Even using widescreen 17" monitors can be annoying to me depending upon the aspect ratio.

cant imagine purpose of such crap! notebooks should be mobile, and this one doesnt look mobile

not only its price too hight for this poor perfomance, but 3,7 hours battery? how much is that in real time? 20-30 mins?

if you want to feel your self at cinema , you either go there or watch at home cinema

Actually, folks it is in the vain of what I have been looking for! When I am at home or in my office I always use two monitors. - I do editing on technical documents - as you build on previous work you find the need to have multiple documents open - to allow easy cut-paste operations (yes credits are provided) I am concerned about the CPU and memory so I am looking at "heavier" versions. NOW I carry two laptops - networked - so I can cut-paste easy - they are each 15.4 displays. I am older guy so I want excellent resolution. ie high end graphics/displays. My colleges are moving to 17 and 18.4 display units. My two 15.4 are 1920X1080 displays = 3840X1080.

I also run ubuntu/linux in VirtualBox - for web work. When you are on the road for two weeks + at a time - giving up your "home & office" conviences just doesn't work for me.

i just bought this computer (Onkyo dx1007a5)yesterday.

i cannot get fingerprint thing work so i am looking for driver downloads - but i cant seem to find Onkyo computer website anywhere on the internet !!!

can anyone help me???!!!???

niki_sbs@yahoo.com

It would be much smarter to have 2 vertical dual screens instead of 2 horizontal dual screens. With only one screen I always feel more limited by the vertical space not the horizontal space.

And with 2 vertical dual screens you do not annoy people sittings next to you.

And no : a dual screen without physical keyboard would not do it for me.

I would really love to have a laptop with a proper physical keyboard and 2 vertical dual screens.

I just hope that the next Onkyo dual-screen laptop (early Q2 2011) would come out with Sandy Bridge processor, 3D graphic, full HD 1080p on both 12" screens and 7" screen virtual keyboard 720p replacing physical keyboard that'll be something to shock the World.