Piixl EdgeCenter 3770 world's smallest, most powerful HTPC?

By on December 15, 2009, 8:29 PM
Piixl has developed a new breed of high-powered, "invisible" home theater computers. The 30mm-thick EdgeCenter 3770 can be mounted directly to the rear VESA mounting interface of 37 to 70-inch flat panel televisions, putting it out of direct sight.

While system performance would typical suffer at the hands of such a compact form factor, the EdgeCenter 3770 is actually very well equipped. Processors start at an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 and scale all the way up to Core i7 and even dual-chip Xeon solutions.

Other components are equally as scalable. High-end options include 24GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM, a 1GB Radeon HD 5850, a 2TB HDD, a Blu-ray burner, a dual DVB-T TV tuner, an assortment of Logitech peripherals and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Naturally, squeezing all of this into a tiny package comes at a hefty premium. The cheapest EdgeCenter 3770 configuration available starts at about 2,490 (about $4,050) and the fully decked-out system costs 8,347 (about $13,577).

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Pricey, but very clever stuff there.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I'm impressed they can cram all of that in such a small space.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Holy crap! Now it only needs to be paid with invisible money =)

Puiu Puiu said:

Who in his right mind would buy something so expensive? Over 4k$ for the cheapest one? This is just stupid.

well i guess, most people who can afford home theatre can afford this

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

well i guess, most people who can afford home theatre can afford this

Let me help you revise that to most people that can afford a home theatre that puts the local movie theatre to shame can afford this.

A decent home setup is not that expensive.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Cool stuff, but yes, very pricey. Wonder how "user" upgradable it is.

Hereimiz said:

Net, they need to integrate it into the tv itself and sell it as a complete system! they need to get cheaper first tho

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hereimiz said:

I would disagree with this as that just creates more problems for service/replacement/upgrades etc. . . Keep it small and modular so it can be attached to any TV - that is the only way to go.

Maybe if we were talking about $100 range for integrating into the TV that would be one thing as then people would consider it as an option upgrade on the TV, but if you are talking about a couple thousand extra to integrate into a TV that is ridiculous and no one would buy it.

And this means nothing to me. 4000 is ridiculous! Sorry but I'm gonna stick to my own HTPC in a small form factor for a couple hundred dollars and spend the extra money on anything.. 3000+ is a lot of money for me.

I think this is for people who are so rich everything is practically free. Stupid? Honestly I just don't know. How many filthy rich people are going to buy this? No clue. But I certainly won't.

well this thing is a theatre+PC combo so it can easilly replace theatre function

it has TV tuner so you dont have to buy TV , you can buy cheaper LCD

it have quite hight perfomance and pretty box

i guess its mobile

soo i guess small premium isnt that bad if your building multimaedia room from scratch 3k £ isnt that bad for combo

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

It looks like an awesome device - but price point is probably an issue for at least 95% of people. People call my crazy because I've spent $3K and $6K on two of my TVs - if I said I added a $4K add-on to one they'd really think something was wrong.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You have to add the fact that this is thinked for a television set, so probably to watch movies, series, musicals, documentals, and bla bla bla so this is not meant to be that powerful just for it.

On the other hand the most gaming type won't spend 4k for a computer rig they could fix for way less than 1k just because it can fit behind a television.

Really I think the main point here is that the chassis is sturdy enough / has VESA through holes so that it can actually WALL mounted behind the screen ! Now I see their point, and the cost saved on a wiring installation makes it rather cheap in the end !

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

For a ton less of money I could build my own ventilated cassing that could offer as a base for the TV, looking stylish or slick or whatever you like it to be :P