Skiff intros huge e-reader, MSI to show dual-screen unit

By on January 4, 2010, 2:26 PM
Skiff has introduced its new e-reader, which effectively trumps Amazon's Kindle DX as the largest available. In addition to its large 11.5-inch (1600x1200) touchscreen, the Skiff Reader boasts a rugged metal-foil shatter and crack-proof panel along with a magnesium housing, making it safer to throw in a bag with other objects.

Despite its large display, the Skiff Reader only measures a quarter of an inch thick and has enough juice for about seven days of life, with thousands of page turns and periodic wireless use. Other features include 3G and Wi-Fi connectivity, a mini-USB port, 4GB of internal memory (over 3GB available for content), an SD card slot, a built-in speaker and a 3.5mm audio jack.

The Skiff Reader will reportedly hit Sprint shelves later this year, but there's no word on pricing. Perhaps there will be subsidized units bound by a data contract?

On a related note, MSI is expected show a dual-screen, Nvidia Tegra-powered e-reader (as well as a 3D laptop) at CES, but few details are available.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I can't see how a dual screen e-reader serves a good purpose. It is so easy to flip pages on an e-reader why would you need to spend double in material costs for 2 screens? I have dual screens for productivity at work/home, but i think it is out of place on an e-reader given the intended purpose/functionality.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Missed the picture of the Skiff bending. Wow that is pretty crazy!! Wonder how you make a battery/ or even a processor to fit in that?

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

If you look close enough, the enclosure has been removed in that image. I believe only the actual display is being bent, not the complete device. For more details: http://www.skiff.com/skiff-reader_tech-specs.html

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I have never seen an e-reader in real life... I think there's something inherently uncool about pulling one out of your briefcase/bag on a rush hour train.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

slh28 said:

lol While I think nothing would be better :P. But I never was one to try to be cool :P.

If the traditional newspaper wants to survive, they better jump on board with this.

Might be the only way to save em....

Just one bad thing though...these will make it harder to line the bird cage with the old paper :)

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Matthew said:

That would make more sense. So that image is pretty much just for publicity.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I was almost ready to buy a Kindle DX in the next few months, but I have a feeling I'm better off waiting and seeing what 2010 will have to offer. I have a feeling at the end of the year I'm going to be able to buy something awesome for the same price as the DX.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Good lookin' machine!

Puiu Puiu said:

Do people actually buy e-readers? Where i live i think nobody has one (in the entire city of 2-3mil people).

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Looks like a nice piece of kit. I wonder how much it'd cost, and what display tech it's using. 1200x1600 is finally a decent enough resolution that normaly PDF files should be viewable comfortably.

@slh28, I had an e-reader (but lost it). Got quite a bit of interest when I pulled it out. People are typically impressed by the display.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@compdata, I can see a few uses for two screens, but that'd depend on what kind of configuration that is. For example, if one screen is e-ink and the other and LCD, that'd be an interesting combination for reading/video on the move. If the machine can be flipped to notebook mode, with one screen acting as a keyboard, and the other used for browsing the web, that's another cool idea. Now, I don't know if MSI has done either of these, but just saying to keep your mind open. And frankly, even without these ideas, a dual screen is likely to protect the screen better, and I can see other minor benefits from it. Whether it's worth the extra price, I don't know, but I also don't know the price.

JudaZ said:

Looks really interesting, hopefully the price is right as well. Been thinking about buying a kindle, but they only sell the budget model with a smaller screen internationally....so lost a bit of its apeal then. ...this looks interesting, wonders what doc formats it supports though. Didnt say much about that quite important detail in its specs.

I've been thinking of getting an e-book reader since I don't really like reading at my computer desk for the length of time it takes for a book. I don't see why they are so expensive though. Just up the main page they show a tablet PC with a 7 inch screen, far more internal memory than kindle and of course it can do more than just read e-books and they intend to sell it for $200 while the kindle goes for $250. Before looking into it i was hoping to pay about $99 for an e-book reader.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

ET3D - i could very well be wrong about the two screen on an "e-reader". I love having dual monitors on my computer, i guess i just think it would be difficult for me to justify paying and extra $100? for it on an e-reader that doesn't offer anywhere near as much functionality. If you start adding web/flash/video/office support then i would not call it an "e-reader" anymore but maybe a tablet pc which i can definitely see much more of a use for dual screens.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Is this a touch-screen? The image appears to portray it as such.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Second sentence of the article: "In addition to its large 11.5-inch (1600x1200) touchscreen, the Skiff Reader boasts a rugged metal-foil shatter and crack-proof panel along with a magnesium housing, making it safer to throw in a bag with other objects."