Acer recalls 22,000 notebooks with "burn hazard"

By on January 11, 2010, 12:33 PM
Acer and the US Consumer Product Safety Commission have announced a recall today, affecting some 22,000 laptops. Several of Acer's 13.3-inch models have been named in the recall, including the AS3410, AS3410T, AS3810T, AS3810TG, AS3810TZ and AS3810TZG. The computers were solid through many popular outlets, including ABS Computer Technologies, D&H Distributing, Fry's Electronics, Radio Shack, Synnex Corporation and more.

Similar to a recall in October, the issue stems from a faulty microphone wire. Located under the palm rest, the wire can reportedly short circuit, overheat, and potentially burn users. Not all units suffer from the defect of course, and owners should contact Acer to determine whether their systems are affected. If you own one of the mentioned models, you can contact Acer toll-free via 866-695-2237. If you've experienced the issue, you can submit an incident report with the CPSC.

Just another reason I won't waste my money on their junk.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

As opposed to say, HP? Dell? Sony? Toshiba? Apple?

NeoFlux said:

Just another reason I won't waste my money on their junk.

Strange...I'm working more than 5 years in IT retail store (Europe) and had VERY few problems with Acer, unlike HP, Dell or Asus

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I kind of agree with neoflux, I've been in the industry a little while and the most broke down laptops have to be HP and the slowest are old Dells, actually i've only ever come across maybe 2 broken Acer's? but I would never buy an acer, they feel tacky and they seem to be made of some sort of mixture of recycled bin plastic (25%) and dog poo (75%). I also don't understand how a mic wire can be so badly positioned in the first place? again acer and their bad design team...

End of the day ! what you pay is what you get. I just bought Acer for 699 with Windows 7. Considering Windows 7 license down under cost around 240 ( don't quote me on this). And i just paid 699 for 2.1 Dual Core, 4GB ram, 320GB hard disk, 256 dedicated graphics.

Bloody bargain, in a years time i could claim half of it back on my tax return :)

Further to that, i've owned Vaio for 2 years.. quality product but its just stopped working on me.. after warranty period was over. I was quiet concern with the exploding batteries too.. which was all over the news.

No ones perfect that's why recall is done to rectify the problem/

Puiu Puiu said:

Matthew said:

As opposed to say, HP? Dell? Sony? Toshiba? Apple?

apple won't even repair your laptop if you're a smoker. acer may have cheap products (not all), but at least they have really good costumer support.

JudaZ said:

neoflux said:

Just another reason I won't waste my money on their junk.

I to work in an IT-retailstore, mostly as a servicetechincian .... i have no problems at alla with HP som with Asus..... but Acer is pure crap.

Theit support knows nothing, they have put out several machinesthat can catch no fire the past few years... some computers just stops working after a week.... often a fault motherboard.....but what does their tech department do ... they resinstall windows ... then you hve to ship it to them again...then they get that they should repalice whats faulty ...

Acer is pure crap.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Just another reason I won't waste my money on their junk.

They arn't the only ones with problems like this. Apple had to recal 1.8 Million laptop batteries because of overheating (http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/24/technology/apple_recall/ind
x.htm ) You could argue that it was Sony's fault, but it was still in Apple Laptops, and 1.8 Million is a lot more then 22 thousand.