Weekend tech reading: Microsoft details Windows 7 memory leaks, hangs, freezes

By on February 14, 2010, 2:14 PM
Microsoft details Windows 7 memory leaks, hangs, freezes Microsoft has been tracking some odd issues that occur on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. These bugs are not typically fixed via Windows Update, because these hotfixes should only be applied to systems that are experiencing specific problems. So if you are not severely affected by either of them, wait for the relevant service packs. Here are the four most prominent issues, listed in order of decreasing severity. Ars Technica

A new Buzz start-up experience based on your feedback We've heard your feedback loud and clear, and since we launched Google Buzz four days ago, we've been working around the clock to address the concerns you've raised. Today, we wanted to let you know about a number of changes we'll be making over the next few days based on all the feedback we've received. Gmail Blog

Justice Dept. defends warrantless cell phone tracking The FBI and other police agencies don't need to obtain a search warrant to learn the locations of Americans' cell phones, the U.S. Department of Justice told a federal appeals court in Philadelphia on Friday. CNET

Average iPhone consumer data usage pegged at five times a BlackBerry Consumer Reports announced this week the results of a study it commissioned assessing the monthly data usage for customers of Apple's iPhone and other smartphones. MacRumors

Rumoured Microsoft Project Pink phone "Turtle" confirmed at FCC Sharp has revealed pictures of the rumoured Microsoft "Project Pink" device 'Turtle' in an FCC filing this week. Neowin

Samsung confirms Chrome-based netbook At a launch yesterday for several new Intel based Samsung notebooks, the head of Samsung IT, Phil Newton, said that Samsung Australia will introduce a Chrome-based netbook into its line-up later this year that will have built-in 3G Wi Fi capability and 12-hour battery life. Channel News

Chazz said:

I'm not sure if this is working for others, but the "Ars Technica" link is not working.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Link works fine for me chazz - came right up.

I'm knocking on wood as I've had zero, I mean ZERO problems with Windows 7. And I'm loving it. Best OS that Microsoft has put out IMNHO.

Chazz said:

It's working now.

Chazz said:

I don't mean to post this much in a row(I didn't even see your message TOM, before I posted the 2nd time).

There is only one issue I have with windows 7. It does not wake up from sleep mode. Well, it does but it takes about an hour before the system becomes usable. I don't think it's a big deal, I just disable sleep and either turn off my power hungry Dell 3007 or my entire comp when I leave.

Haven't had any problems with Vista. Looks like Microsoft took an unfairly maligned OS and made things worse. Windows 8 will be out in 2011, maybe earlier if things get worse.

Route44 Route44, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

This is why I am waiting for the first service pack to be released and by then hopfully SSDs will be coming down in price as well when I go to do a new build.

Sounds like a good plan Route44.

Deals said:

I came across some great deals when surfing the internet with my new windows 7. I have not had any problems, or anything to complain about. I feel bad for the people that have got the same thing as me, but are having a bad experience with it.