HP to launch "Let's Do Amazing" ad campaign this weekend

By on March 11, 2010, 8:59 PM
HP is preparing to launch an eight-week long, $40 million advertising blitz. Billed as "Let's Do Amazing," the ad campaign is HP's first in some five years, and the company has signed on some celebrity talent. Rapper Dr. Dre, comedian Rhys Darby, and photographer Annie Leibovitz are among those involved. Ads will rollout this weekend on TV, radio, print, and of course, the Internet.

HP hopes the advertisements will help makeover its image, which is often associated with business, despite the company's "Personal Again" ad campaign. "Most people think we are just a printer company," said Michael Mendenhall, HP's chief marketing officer. Another HP exec noted that although the company has grown significantly over the last five years, "most customers do not see the breadth and depth" of what it does.

Regardless of its public image, HP is still the top PC maker worldwide -- though, Acer is rapidly gaining ground. You can view some of the ads on 72andSunny's site.

RockandRepublic said:

It would be amazing if they game me a laptop.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Looks like HP isn't going to give up the number one position easily.

Timonius Timonius said:

No amount of advertising will convince me anytime soon to buy or recommend HP. So far everything I bought from HP has been substandard. From my experience the 'Top Dog' usually gets fat and lazy. I'd rather go for companies who are showing that they are making an effort and not just in advertising.

kozman said:

Well I would add to the name HP. Like CBHP. Computers by HP. HP Home, Something. I am not sure just ad campaigns will help change the felling to home computers.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

If they spent that 40 million on rebates they would probably get a lot more for their money.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

HP = Horrible Performance

Actually I just bought my mom a new Compaq CQ60 and it's decent, not much HP bloatware either. I'm not sure why HP is spending so much but w/e I'm a fan of Toshiba anyways lol

pipopaz said:

I gotta agree with TImonius, HP is overpriced and the quality is below average. Quite amazed at how acer is growing, their computers are durable and work well.

Yoda8232 said:

The commercial sounds funny, HP makes good PC's. Needs to have more types of styles though, especially gaming computers. (Though real gamers build their own PC's)

ToastOz said:

Apparently real gamers tend to buy consoles more than pc's with pc's making up only 18% of the gaming market.

elroacho72 said:

They named it "Let's Do Amazing"

It should be Let's Do Amazing Things to slow down Acer before it"s to late and they buy us.

seefizzle said:

I have an HP laptop that is damn near bullet proof. I have dropped the thing from chest height onto tile floor and nothing happened. I would have no qualms with buying another HP laptop if the time came. Or suggesteing their products to other people.

EduardsN said:

seefizzle said:

I still have my old HP lcd monitor running, 7years + dropped many times. 1 stuck blue pixel, pushed on the screen and its gone! very happy with it

flukeh said:

The 40 million Ad Campaign is always worth it for the big companies. It isn't for people like us that actually enjoy reading about tech news and keep up to date with everything in the tech world. It's for those who know near nothing about computers, and want a guarantee that it's going to work no matter what the price tag says.

megrawab said:

It's hard to take over HP since it established its name ever since. It's not easy to beat hp because of their very known quality of products. Our printer is already 6 years and it still performs well. I don't think there's nothing wrong to remember hp as just a manufacturer of printers. Perhaps it's an advantage! With or without ads yet, hp still grows stronger. But Acer is also doing well. I see acer users everywhere.

Serag said:

Not a very fancy name for an Ad campaign I must say..

@ elroacho72

LoL!

yangly18 yangly18 said:

I actually own an HP and I've had it for the past 3 years. It's been reliable, it runs real nice still since I've kept it clean. I plan on buying another HP when mine craps out, I hope their campaign goes well! Although they could have named it better as the guy above noted...

Tizzlejack Tizzlejack said:

Their involvement with celebrities during this ad campaign and past campaigns keeps reminding me of how far they'll go to fool people into buying their products.

alcarin2030 alcarin2030 said:

ToastOz said:

I lol'ed at this.

gunabut said:

HP printers are probably the best around at the mo, yeah i know at the high end of the market they probably are not but generally they are far better than epson or lexmark who have just got worse. HP however make most of their profit from the millitary, which is why they have not connected with the general publicas well as dell or acer.

They would be better off lobbying the gov to continue the wars and start another in Iran, Somalia, Sudan, oops they already are.

Regenweald said:

I'd much prefer: "let's not cut corners and make laptops with the highest failure rate" As I have experienced first hand, one too many times. Never again HP, no matter how cool your ad is.

TuesdayExpress said:

ToastOz said:

Ah, the famous disdain of console gamers for PC gamers. /sarcasm

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

pipopaz said:

Overpriced compared to whom? I haven't been comparing all manufactures, but I have consistently been finding HP to be better priced and higher quality against many of them (particularly Dell).

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

seefizzle said:

Well i havn't dropped mine yet ;-) But i would certainly recommend my HP laptop to anyone who is interested as well. The only downside on the model i got is that it is hot and battery life isn't great. But i knew that was going to be the case as i went for a higher powered unit as a desktop replacement. The screen is pretty amazing though :-)

paynetrain007 said:

I will always build my own computer anyways so its not that big of a deal. When it comes to laptops I love ASUS mainly because I can trust that they put the same quality of equipment into their laptop that they manufacture and sell to put things in every desktop I build. I feel that a company that manufactures the products they put in the computer are much more reliable then companies who gather the cheapest parts they can to win in the never ending price war.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I don't really have anything against HP or for them. First windows computer we had was an HP and it did ok. would have probably lasted longer, but I was young and stupid and didn't think to clean the dust outa it.........yah.....

As far as printers go, I think HP makes decent printers. Definitely take an HP printer over an Dell, Lexmark or Epson.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Yeah boy, listening to a rapper and a comedienne is just going to make me want to run right out and buy an HP! :p

sb043 said:

I am in the market for a laptop and haven't even considered HP. . .only because I haven't seen anything that makes their product stand out. They might do well to show me why they are the better manufacturer, how the product performs, is durable, etc. Also agree that perhaps they could have used some of the ad money to offer rebates or incentives. I'm ready to buy. But they need to convince me why I should buy their product over the others.

rajmond said:

They gained success in 2009 to become the first in selling computers. And with this campaign I think that they want to continue with no. 1 in the list!

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

That's not even a sentence. STOP THE TRENDY GRAMMATICAL LITTERING!!! "Let's Do Something Amazing", "Let's Do Amazingly", or even "Do Something Amazingly Let Us" are better!

Also, this sounds too much like Microsoft's "The Wow Starts Now" campaign.

tonylukac said:

HP makes reliable computers. However, I recommend Brother printers. HP printer drivers are usually full of bloatware and are often >300M downloads, and half hour installs. My brother's wife bought an HP printer in 2005, and after all that downloading and installing its scanner doesn't even support Vista let alone WIndows 7. She has to scan to a memory card and then read it in on her laptop. Luckily, the laptop (HP, by the way) had a memory card reader. She paid $300 for that all in one. I paid $100 for my Brother all in one and the ink costs half as much, and it's not even a laser printer. I bought my Brother printer the same year (2005), and I believe it supports all functions in Windows 7 EVEN OVER THE NETWORK. When I temporarily had my macbook pro, the Brother printer supported that as well OVER THE NETWORK. Three cheers to Brother for a well supported, flawless product, and cheers as well to my brother.

Vicenarian said:

Unless HP improved their customer service and product quality, I won't be buying one any time soon unless absolute necessary.

Bought a desktop, bad customer service.

Bought a laptop, mb failed months after purchase due to faulty video card overheating the laptop and frying the motherboard...received a "fixed" laptop with an underclocked video card and a fan that runs higher.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Also, this sounds too much like Microsoft's "The Wow Starts Now" campaign.

Actually it sounds more like a quote from "Zaphod Beeblebrox" in "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Blah, blah....[ ]...."amazingly amazing", look it up.
"Do Something Amazingly Let Us"
This works only if you get "Yoda" as your "spokesmodel".

BTW, IMO this isn't a sentence either;

"Let's Do Amazingly"
I would think it needs an object, or otherwise must resign itself to being only a phrase forever.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Im not a big HP fan... I like their servers (ProLiant esp) and their laptops and printers are just ok. The printers have low quality prints and their JetDirect cards are not reliable. And their laptops have too many models and some are not well built. I sort of hope that they take a page from Apple's playbook and only invest in making models of good quality and not a model at every price point.

bigclick said:

I wonder how far $40 million would go if they put it in USA tech support. Have you ever spent a day chatting to India? Simple problems turn into nightmares. If you can't Google an answer to your problem it is often LESS frustrating to backup data and recovery the OS.

Hey HP! Put a system disk in the box! Word will get out and sales will skyrocket.

Hp was dead last in reliability for their laptops in a recent survey. They would do better to spend 40 million to improve quality than to piss it up against the wall making commercials. I own a Hp laptop that is about 1.5 years old. It's still going but part of the reason is I almost never use it. A friend of mine spent $1500 3 years ago on a hp and the screen is already coming apart. They had a recall on the laptop but my friend didn't hear about it till it was all over. A call to a tech rep in India didn't help one bit. "We're very sorry sir but you are two weeks past the last date on the recall." My friend said he would never buy Hp again. I suspect I won't either. Hear that HP? **** on your customers and you get no return customers.

rskapadia2294 said:

another strategy to remain at the top! i think acer ( which is also a very good company ) should also develop such techniques to interact the attention of more and more people!

btw i LOVE HP!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Will all this Madison Avenue BS help anybody to get their work done? Or do I have to call "Derek" in New Delhi for that? Never mind!

AimHigh99 said:

I think HP should focus more on quality control. I bought a HP laptop several years ago, then it was the worst experience I have ever had. There were problems with the jumpy cursor, multi-taskings, sound card, overheating, etc. After that, I don't think I will ever buy another HP again.