HP Slate coming with Atom and Flash in June for 400?

By on March 19, 2010, 2:33 PM
The tablet market is expected to heat up big time this year with dozens of new products on the horizon, but only a handful are expected to launch in the immediate future -- namely the Apple iPad and HP Slate. While the fruit-flavored part has been fully detailed and is already available for pre-order, HP has shrouded its offering in mystery.

Many critics of the iPad (and boy are there a lot of them) hope the Slate will offer a more complete computing package at a competitive price, and it seems that may be the case. Spanish publication Clipset reports that the Slate will debut with a starting price of 400, or about $541. Straight currency conversions are generally inaccurate in determining cross-region sticker prices, so the Slate could potentially hit US shelves for less than the cheapest iPad.

HP's device is confirmed to feature an Intel Atom processor, USB connectivity, a memory card reader, a back-mounted webcam, Flash support, and runs Windows 7. The Slate is set for June debut in the US, and should land in Europe sometime "before September."

Puiu Puiu said:

Just the fact that it runs windows 7 is the best reason for me to buy this instead of the IPad. But for 400? in Europe... it's kind of a turn down. I would have wanted it to be a bit more cheaper compared to the IPad.

PS: i hope some benchmarks appear soon comparing the 2

natefalk natefalk said:

I agree, Windows 7 alone makes this tablet better than the iPad. I can't wait to see the specs.

seefizzle said:

This is much more appealing than an ipad. It has a real operating system on it. Not a gimped "app manager". Give me a device and an operating system. I'll tweak it to MY liking thank you very much apple.

topcoach said:

This is considerably more functional than the iPad. There were many key features missing on the iPad that this unit has.

rskapadia2294 said:

hey its was better than ipad cuz it has windows 7!

lets wait for the specs !

since the price is $541 i cant wait to see the specs!

the specs must be good cuz the price is reasonably high!

Does anyone know if you will be able to use a stylus on the HP Slate? I hope you can. Would be nice to input using a pen rather than an external or virtual keyboard.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Seems to have everything most everyone wanted the ipad to have just in windows flavor. Looks to be a true multimedia device, it'll be interesting to compare them side to side.

And when does Australia expect this...? How come we're treated like a third-world country when it comes to new Technology?

drasho said:

I want to see how smooth it gonna be before saying that i want one =P... And a good screen quality is something im looking for the slate/ipad im gonna buy

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Isn't this quite a bit overpriced for a netbook screen?

see apple, it's not that hard to relase a device with features beyond 'pretty'.

pipopaz said:

I wonder about the use of Win7 in a tablet. The OS wasnt made with a table device on mind, neither was Flash interactivity without the use of a mouse, so how is it going to work exactly? Specs related hope is better than a netbook, thought if it is an Intel atom processor I doubt it (not that the iPads processor is better.)

Camera and input components are the way to go and the infinity option of installing any program you want is a big plus but unless the device works as an iPod touch I can safely say it is a killer.

In conclusion, it is looking better in specs than the Ipad. Regarding the OS, it remains to be seem how will Win7 integrate with the tablet.

Puiu Puiu said:

@pipopaz: they will probably use a pimped out home edition of win 7 (starter or premium) which where designed with netbooks in mind and most netbooks use Atoms. And Flash has nothing to do with a mouse or keyboard. You don't need a mouse to play a video on youtube or to play a game (although some games do require the use of a mouse). But if you must use a mouse you can always put a USB one.

Regarding the specs, i do believe they will be better than what the IPad has, just because Win7 needs more power that the OS Apple uses. Anyway, any Atom on the market now is more powerful than the special 1GHz CPU that is inside the IPad. On the downside this could make it's battery life shorter.

fadownjoo said:

now give it tegra 2 and im all over it

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

A lot of people complain about the iPad running iPhone OS because it isn't as feature-rich as a regular desktop OS. That's fine and I agree, but the iPad is really intended to be an Internet & app store appliance... nothing more.

If you think the iPad should do more, that's cool -- I'd like that too. But the amount of griping that comes along when any Apple product is announced always pretty ridiculous.

bigclick said:

Apple brought the form factor and intended use. Many to follow and good to see HP is jumping in first. How many variations or generations yet to be seen.

Chazz said:

Rick said:

So you're saying that people should not be upset because apple is selling them a store? Most people on this site are about functionality and usability. Being uncomfortable about a "revolutionary" device being all but...is expected.

The moby by marvell. new tablet 1080p running 7 mobile or andoid, flash support. all under 100$

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Rick said:

yeah, but why do i need it if i already have an Ipod Touch? My point is that i don't think it is a game changer in any real way, as the only thing it really has on my Ipod touch (in my opinion of course) is a bigger screen and INABILITY to fit in my pocket :-p