Adobe releases Flash Player 10.1 RC, fixes tons of bugs

By on April 6, 2010, 5:44 PM
It's been nearly five months since Adobe launched the GPU-accelerated Flash 10.1 beta, and although the final release is still dormant, the release candidate is now available with various fixes and enhancements. The latest build is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux, and you can read the official release notes here (PDF).

There seem to be dozens of changes in the latest release, including many video playback bugs on Hulu, CBS.com, and ABC.com, as well as malfunctioning H.264 acceleration on Broadcom Crystal HD decoders. Adobe also mentions "general stability and performance improvements," and notes that users may require updated video drivers (AMD, Nvidia, Intel, Broadcom).

While numerous bugs are resolved, there doesn't appear to be any major new features, unlike some previous stages which, for instance, added support for Crystal HD chips. Nevertheless, if you've been waiting for a more polished release to give 10.1 a whirl, now seems like a good time.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I'll give it a week before someone finds a security flaw/exploit.

KG363 KG363 said:

What does 10.1 do? I don't remember hearing anything about this. I see GPU-Accelerated flash but isn't that how it's always been?

elroacho72 said:

Does it support 64 bit browsing? How long will it take Adobe?

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

kg363 said:

Nope - Flash historically has been all CPU intensive. This version discussed here is the 2nd public release of Adobe Flash that off-loads some of the functionality from the CPU to the GPU. It can save a lot of CPU processing capabilities in doing so if you have ample GPU hardware performance.

Some info about GPU accelerated Flash can be found here:

[link]

rislyy001 said:

does it take more CPU when it runing?

maestromasada said:

Flash lost it all when Adobe step in and bought Macromedia, hate Adobe and all CS products, Macromedia were the real guys lifting the web

Puiu Puiu said:

There is still a lot of work to be done and i'm afraid when it's done it will still have lots of bugs.

@rislyy001: it should use less CPU because it offloads some of the work on to the GPU. (if you have the right hardware, drivers and software)

LightHeart said:

Html 5

I'm looking forward to HTML5 rather than anything Adobe makes. I have found that 90% of IE related problems are plugins with Adobe being the major issue.

I downloaded it a few days ago and it still doesn't work on my Mac. I was playing a simple little flash game earlier today and it brought the temperature up to 82C and was using over 100% of processor power.

Well at least I wont have to go to the kitchen to boil water for a cup of coffee. With Flash 10.1, my processor can do it for me!