Tech Tip of the Week: Six Obscure Web Browsers You Might Come to Love

By on April 16, 2010, 3:05 AM
It used to be that Firefox, Opera and others were the "alternative" Web browsers, but in an age of forced ballot screens that's not entirely accurate. In fact, one could say that the more experienced a user is the further and faster they run from Internet Explorer.

Excluding the "big five" you're undoubtedly familiar with (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and Safari), there are many little-known browsers that are potentially even more suitable for your needs, no matter how basic or advanced.

This week we are taking a look at six truly alternative browsers and what separates them from the rest of the pack. This is far from an all-inclusive list, and we'd love to hear if you happen to be using any of these yourself or perhaps there's yet another unheard of browser that we missed. In alphabetical order, the browsers: Arora, Camino, Flock, K-Meleon, Maxthon, Pale Moon.

Continue reading our Tech Tip of the Week.

Apart from the six browsers that you mentioned, there are others worth mentioning as alternate browsers. These are :

SRWare Iron : Based on Google Chrome, but minus the privacy issues. Supports Chrome extensions and themes.

QT Web Browser : Based on Webkit engine. This browser is less heard of, but the one to watch for. Works quite good.

Comodo Dragon Browser : Another Chrome based browser from Comodo.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm inclined to test run Maxthon, but I don't know... I like the comfort of the usual browsers.

ajua said:

I find TheWorld Browser a tad better than Maxthon for an IE alternative.

You guys should check it.

I'm still keeping Firefox as my default browser, though.

windmill007 said:

I just installed Pale Moon and it is really just a faster firefox... I love it! Thanks!

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If they're built on the same engine, are they a different browser - or just a different interface?

windmill007 said:

When I installed Pale Moon it actually became Firefox...All my extensions and everything were there and worked perfectly. Everything looks the same but just faster. Well the icon is now a pale moon but other than that I don't notice any change.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Just downloaded and tried Pale Moon and I am pretty impressed. It was just like starting up Firefox (with all my FF configurations the same) and if you start both browsers they merge into one...

mrtraver said:

I've been using and loving IE for years. The only reason I am using firefox more now is that its better password management more conveniently handles multiple login credentials for the same site. Chrome was just too spartan for me, but I might try it out again sine Chrome and IE8 have better security than Firefox.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

For real??? IE8 more secure than Firefox?????

Even Chrome more secure????????

IE8 under 64-bit Windows 7 with DEP is currently ranked well above Firefox (and most other browsers) in terms of security. Where IE8 'feels' subpar is probably a result of its very poor java script  handling. On the bright side, that's exactly what's being addressed with IE9.

I use Avant Browser. It runs on top of IE8 and have been using its features for years.

Speaking of alternative browsers...

You might want to have a look at 'Arachne GPL' available for free download at http://glennmcc.org/

It runs on DOS, Linux & in a Windows DosBox

HawkPunk said:

If you are a Windows and Firefox user, Pale Moon is the browser for you. No cross-platform code redundancy, just sheer Speed and Power.

Zenphic said:

I might just try Arora and Pale Moon out!

superty12 superty12 said:

I'll have to look at Maxthon and K-Meleon.

rajevcharudutta rajevcharudutta said:

IE has always been my favourite. These seem quite interesting.

Beware Pale Moon. It slows down computer speeds considerably. Feels like a car with the brakes partially on all the time.