Why settle for a basic build of your Firefox browser on Windows Operating Systems when you can have one that performs 25% faster? Mozilla does not provide optimized browser packages for Windows, while many Linux ("from scratch") users get the advantage of a browser built specifically for their system. That needs to change! So, here is the Pale Moon project: Custom-built and optimized Firefox browsers for Windows Operating Systems. Make sure to get the most speed out of your browser.
Of course, getting a faster browser is not just about optimizing the compilation process (building a program from its source code), but also about carefully choosing features and how to choose the best setup. This means that this browser, however extremely close to Firefox, does not have all the functions that Firefox has. A few, carefully selected, features have been disabled that are not in high demand, and that do not interfere with the way web pages are displayed or function; all to maximize speed and efficiency of the browser. Please see the page with technical details to learn exactly what the browser supports, and what it doesn't support. In short, if you need accessibility features or parental controls, then please visit the firefox homepage and get the official, non-optimized build.
- Highly optimized for current processors
- 100% Firefox sourced: As safe as the browser that has seen years of development.
- Uses slightly less memory because of disabled redundant and optional code
- Significant speed increases for page drawing and script processing
- Support for SVG and Canvas
- Support for Firefox extensions, themes and personas
- Completely re-worked the Media Source Extensions code to make it spec compliant, and asynchronous as per specification for MSE with MP4. This should fix playback problems on YouTube, Twitch, Vimeo and other sites that previously had some issues. A massive thank you to Travis for his tireless work on making this happen!
- Please note that MSE+WebM (disabled by default) is not using this new code yet (planned for the next release), and as such there is a temporary set of things to keep in mind if you don't use default settings:
- If you have previously enabled MSE+WebM, this setting will be reset when you update to avoid conflicting settings with the updated MSE code.
- We've added an extra setting in Options to disable the updated MSE code (asynchronous use) in case you need to use WebM or are otherwise having issues with the updated code (please let us know in that case).
- Once again, the MSE+WebM and Asynchronous MSE use are currently mutually exclusive. You can have one or the other, not both, until we sort out the code for WebM. To enable MSE+WebM you will first have to disable Asynchronouse MSE in settings (otherwise the WebM setting will be greyed out and disabled).
- Added a control in options/preferences for HSTS and HPKP usage.
- Changed HTML bookmark exports to write CRLF line endings to the file on Windows.
- Leveraged multi-core rendering for libVPX (VP8/VP9 WebM decoding).
- Fixed some issues accessing DeviantArt (useragent-sniffing).
- Aligned CSS text-align with the spec.
- Added a recovery module for browser initialization issues (e.g. when using a wrong language pack).
- Fixed spurious console errors for XHR requests with certain http response codes.
- Enabled v-sync aligned refresh for a smoother scrolling experience.
- Removed support for CSS XP-theme media queries.
- Improved console error reporting.
- Fixed resetting toolbars and controls from the safe mode dialog.
- Fixed bookmark recovery option from the safe mode dialog.
- Fixed innerText getters for display:none elements.
- Fixed a GL buffer crash that might occur with certain combinations of drivers and hardware.
- Added some more details to about:support.
- Fixed a potential crash when the last audio device is removed during playback.
- Fixed a crash on about:support when windowless browsers are created.
Apps similar to Pale Moon 6
Opera introduces the looks and the performance of a total new and exceptional web browser.
Chrome combines a minimal design with sophisticated technology to make the web faster, safer, and easier.
Improve your browsing experience with Mozilla's open-source and highly acclaimed Firefox.