Microsoft prepping low-cost Windows Phone 7 handsets

By on April 20, 2010, 7:06 PM
Microsoft is reportedly working on a line of budget-conscious Windows Phone 7 devices for emerging markets, say folks present at a developer event in India. If the reports are correct, the cheaper handsets will arrive sometime next year and they will be noticeably different from their pricier brethren. The low-cost version will have a different chassis than the models coming later this year, according to Sudeep Bharati, a developer for Microsoft India's Visual Studio Team.

The first round of Windows Phone 7 devices will conform to strict guidelines with mandatory features such as a touchscreen and a price range on par with competing smartphones. It's anyone's guess what the budget products will consist of, but some speculate the phones will have a smaller screen, at the very least. No OEMs were mentioned to be directly involved with the low-end phones, however, HTC, Samsung and LG are building upper-tier Windows Phone 7 handsets.

doesn't anybody read Engadget?! If it's not an iPhone, no one will buy it? Everybody has iPhones and everybody wants iPhones. iPhones are the only thing in the whole wide world...except for iPads. I mow my grass with an iPad

z0k! said:

^you made my day xD

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Oh I know! I'm allergic to grass pollen so while im mowing my lawn with an iPad, i wear an iPhone particle mask, my wife of course prefers the Ipad with wings.

maestromasada said:

I'm actually waiting for this M$ thing, will buy anything but iPhone, a uni-task dumb device hugely expensive that does nothing but feed your ego

first off not evry1 wants it in general. my htc touch diamond from sprint can do jus as much as an iphone and not lock up. it can multitask jus like the 3gs. ie. play games and talk on the phone. now cuz im on sprint means i cant surf the web and talk but i can send video messages out of the box. IM to.I didnt hav to wait for an update. plus i dont hav to jailbreak an void my warrenty jus to get apps free. iPhone isnt the best phone, its an ipod with 3g and a camera. ( the reason why i left out phon cuz u have skype and vonage)

Commodore Amiga 1000 (circa 1985)

7 Mhz (.007 Ghz) processor or 7/1000 the speed of Apple's A4 and probably 1/6000 the productivity

512Kb RAM (0.512 Mb or 0.000512 Gb) or 1/500 of iPad's onboard RAM

onboard storage = 0 (ZERO) bytes or, well zero is zero

Does Commodore Amiga 1000 multitask? Damn right!

matrix86 matrix86 said:

......dude, he was joking, lol. I thought that was pretty obvious, and so did the others responding to it.