Logitech intros new HD webcams, updates Vid HD software

By on June 10, 2010, 12:20 PM
Logitech has unveiled a new line of webcams today that can take advantage of Logitech's Vid HD software to make free two-way high definition video calls. The flagship HD Pro C910 will sell for $100 and offers 720p video calling, 1080p video recording, 10-megapixel still photo captures, a Carl Zeiss lens, Logitech's Fluid Crystal technology for smoother motion and truer colors, two microphones for stereo audio, and one-click uploads to Facebook and YouTube.

The C510 features a foldable design that's ideal for users always on the go. Though most notebooks today feature built-in webcams, with this $60 stand-alone device you'll get 720p video calls and video recording, 8MP photos, and a 360-degree rotation capability. Logitech will sell its HD Webcam C310 and Logitech HD Webcam C270 for $50 and $40, respectively, with a reduced feature set but still capable of making 720p video calls.

Besides supporting Logitech's free Vid HD software, which is now available for both Windows and Mac OS X systems, all four webcams are Skype-certified and will work with all major video-calling clients including Yahoo! Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, and Gmail Voice and Video Chat.

KG363 KG363 said:

I still don't see the need to buy a webcam

Eddie_42 Eddie_42 said:

So you dont, doesnt mean that some of the other 6 billion people on the globe might find it useful.

Skype (and similar services) is very nice. I can video call my mother and she can see her grandson, saves both of us the airfare, and she gets to see him live. I also have family overseas that use it regularly to "call" home.

There are also numerous business uses for video conferencing. Being able to see someones face during a conversation lends much more merit to the words being said.

Over and above the obvious advantages of using a webcam for Skype, etc, a stand-alone wired webcam makes plenty of sense. You can change the angle, place it elsewhere, some of these cameras have auto-focus, and you can use the webcam for monitoring, with services like gotocamera (http://www.gotocamera.com) or software like yawcam (http://www.yawcam.com).

I still don't care that you don't need to buy a webcam KG363.

I would actually like to know what the bandwidth requirements will be to push 720p live video.

Is someone with slow uploading going to be able to use this?

Skype requires 1.5 Mb/s for HD. Even if you camera supports HD Skype will drop you resolution if you don't have the 1.5 up.

I think if it dose not have an on board processor, it causes a load on the computer cpu.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I've got a Logitech 9000 pro right now and it works very well. I'm glad to see some better cameras out on the market. I currently use Skype for video calls but I'm kind of disappointed with the quality. Are there any programs that just let you connect point to point with the person you want to connect to?

Very interesting stuff to say the least!