WOF: How many email accounts do you use?

By on July 9, 2010, 9:45 PM
[Weekend Open Forum] According to recent stats (PDF) published by The Radicati Group, the number of worldwide email accounts is expected to increase from 2.9 billion in 2010 to over 3.8 billion by 2014, with around 75% belonging to consumers and 25% being corporate. Unsurprisingly, the report also suggests that the average user has about two addresses. While that's entirely plausible, we have a hunch you aren't the "average user" right?

I regularly use four separate accounts. Besides the standard personal and work addresses, I have an ancient account that's dedicated to things like registrations, purchases and subscriptions, while another is solely for times when I'm not comfortable giving out the others. All of them are funneled through a single Gmail inbox, which makes it easy to keep tabs on everything.

What about you? How many accounts are you actively using and do you prefer checking them through a Web interface or a desktop client like Outlook? There's a poll eagerly awaiting your mouse click after the break, but don't be afraid to leave a comment, too.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I have 8 active addresses at the moment.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hmm, I have 3 daily active addresses, one is web interface, and the other is through an email client. If you count emails for instant messaging that aren't used on a regular basis (or at all), it comes to a total of 8 addresses... I think.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Currently I have 3 active addresses and probably another 7 that I haven't used in a long time.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

On a regular basis I use just one account (on gmail) and one address (on one of my domains) which forwards into my gmail account. I have defined or between 10 and 20 e-mail addresses and more than 5 accounts (finding the actual number will be a bit of work), but I don't use most of them at all.

Clrabbit said:

Wow... that's a hard Question..

I have around 20+ or so that i know are active most are FWD to different places but I keep every thing pretty much in 4 places to keep it simple.

Sense most are web master accounts for different places I do use them all and Gmail has been pretty sweet as a routing hub for every thing. i've been a huge Gmail fan sense Day one of the Beta.

I would shutter to think about the number of accounts I have opened and then abandoned for random reasons and projects sense I started using computers back in the early 90's

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Seventy-nine (79) active.

Four for business, three for personal correspondance, and I use a seperate email for every subscription site (including hardware vendors and tech sites/forums).

Possibly could be viewed as excessive, but it allows me to monitor which sites/vendors are less than scrupulous in how they handle personal information, and has proved it's worth since two of the accounts have been spammed and generally inundated with junk mailers...one, linked to a local etailer, and the other, linked to a supposed "tech enthusiasts" site that got spammed about a week after I contacted the admins requesting my forum account to be nullified (mainly to notify members when they attempted to PM me for discussion/advice since messages to visitors can often be overlooked and remain unread).

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

79?? Wow... and I bet you use unique passwords for all of those?

In my case, I keep three emails of which I mostly use two and then I have a third legacy Hotmail account which I use for Messenger access. Gmail is wonderful for combining them all and to use as an archive and for remote access.

Davidoff Davidoff said:

one for social networking sites

the other for everything else

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

79?? Wow... and I bet you use unique passwords for all of those?

Oh yes. Totally random, as for ebanking, gaming and any other online password usage.

My previous system was to combine/intersperse an automotive part number with it's associated tolerances (i.e. Chrysler differential pinion yoke p/n with backlash/spacer thickness for preload spacer selection) -for all intents and purposes completely random-especially with the upper/lowercase mix (unless you meet a password cracker with a passion for automotive restoration) but fairly easy to remember a wide range of seemingly unrelated number/letter strings.

treeski treeski said:

I think I have 5 active e-mail address. Two for personal stuff, one for school, one for online accounts (such as this site, amazon, newegg, other forums, etc), and another for microsoft live accounts that I'm dying to get rid of, but can't figure out how.

UglyChild said:

I have three (3).

One hotmail account that i had for the last 12 or so years mainly for junk. And a Gmail account for friends and work.

Yahoo account i dont use anymore, simply because their junk filter is terrible. All junk goes directly in to my inbox. I log in to it once every 6 month just to empty all the junk.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Same as Matthew who wrote the article. One that I've had forever for correspondence with family who don't know how to use e-mail (routinely forward chain e-mails and e-mails suspected of carrying a virus), one for ordering items, one for people who know how to use e-mail and the last for whatever doesn't fall into the other categories (Facebook, news and sports website registrations so I can ***** on their forums, etc.). Oh yeah - my work e-mail. Don't think that counts though.

Decimae said:

2, 1 gmail and 1 from my ISP

But I have 4+9 e-mail addresses that forward to my ISP's e-mail box but which aren't really used but 1, and I have 2 other gmail addresses which I don't use.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

3, 2 gmail accounts, 1 for my steam and the other for everything else and a hotmail for junk that I don't trust.

mailpup mailpup said:

I have 8 active email accounts. 7 are web based. I only actively use 2 of them. The rest just sporadically.

Gars Gars said:

1 gamail

1 business

dont see any demand for more

gobbybobby said:

I have 3 emails, public, private and spam. I also have a college email but never use it outside of college,

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I use 4, one is personal usage, another is for web hosting related, college, and a Yahoo account I can't seem to find a reason to close it nor to keep it open debating since forever.

All of them integrated into gmail, using filters and labels to keep it all well organized (You just have to love gmail :P).

matrix86 matrix86 said:

I have 4.

1 - Gmail for personal use (forums, friends, family, subscriptions [newegg, tigerdirect, fastweb, so on and so on])

2 - Gmail for school/work

3 - Gmail for the email program I made in Visual Basic (this was for testing purposes for a community. I'm not sure yet how to create a login for different accounts. So for the time being i can only use one account and use that account as a dummy account so the other developers can test what I have worked out in the program). Not sure if I should include this account or not, but figured "eh...why not?"

4 - Yahoo for facebook and the 4 PTC sites i'm a member of. This is the account that got so much spam a few years back that I pretty much abandoned it for the first two gmail accounts. I check it every week or so.

I did have a hotmail account at one time (back in high school 6 or so years ago), but it got EXTREMELY spammed up and I completely abandoned it for Yahoo (which later got spammed up) and now mainly use the first 2 Gmail accounts (which don't get spammed up).

JDoors JDoors said:

I have eight; one multi-purpose, one for important communications, two for when I'm not comfortable using the previous two, and four "anonymous" addresses for those times someone insists you give them an address but in fact there is absolutely no good reason they need one.

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I have four, but I only use two of them frequently. I use mostly my gmail, which also pulls messages from my school address. Then I have another gmail for things I think might be spam, or don't want to use my main address for, and lastly a Hotmail, which I only have used to get some Microsoft software.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

I use 3, one is only for Microsoft stuff plus messenger

The other is a Yahoo address that I have had for a very very long time, it gets allot of SPAM but I'd say the catch rate is above 99% so I am happy with it

Third is my Techspot address of course...

I guess lastly there is also my business address, but that feels like it does not count

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

2 that I use regularly.

5 total.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I use five different addresses:

2 hotmail, one for personal uses, one for subscriptions

1 yahoo, for personal use

1 pop3 account with local isp, for personal email; i used it in the past to send large attachments which the web base email wouldn't allow in the past, but frankly it has become bit redundant now, and i rarely use it.

1 business

Ithryl said:

1 x Hotmail that I've had for quite a while and that's basically a spamyard now.

1 x Personal email on my own domain that I use for all the important stuff.

- every now and then I use a temporary email to register to a website that I don't trust with my mail

- also a gmail account that I used in the beta of wave, but I'm not using it for any mails as Google is among the companies I trust the least with anything personal

2 mails total that I use regularly then

raybay said:

14 active. Three I consider "main"

Staff
Jos Jos said:

Two that I actively use: one for TechSpot and a Gmail account for personal emails (including websites I trust and use often). Then there's my Yahoo inbox which I only check every few months as it's used for registrations and stuff I don't want to be bothered with. I used to have a hotmail account for MSN Messenger, but I abandoned it completely many years ago when I found out I could use the service with my Gmail address.

I access all accounts separately (Thunderbird for TechSpot + Gmail/Yahoo web interface) but I do funnel my TechSpot emails through Gmail as well to keep a backup archive and in case I need to access them remotely.

twojpodlysyn twojpodlysyn said:

4 gmail acc's, and probably about 10 random for subscriptions or sth

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

1 Gmail for personal

1 work email - however unfortunately Lotus Notes is the WORST email client ever.

3 active emails

2 gmail and 1 yahoo, I gmail is for signing up for sites that are highly likely to send spam, other gmail is for business and yahoo is for personal use. I also have a couple emails from different IM services that I don't ever use.

pretzelwagon said:

1 Gmail for personal use

1 University account (Google Apps)

1 Work Account

2 Older accounts for subscriptions and mailing lists

5 Total

grvalderrama said:

1 hotmail acc

1 gmail acc

1 yahoo acc

where's the option to select "0" email?

Yad Yad said:

4 accounts.

1 Hotmail

2 Yahoo

1 Gmail

10 for normal use and 4 for special things...

koppnijaksen said:

Well, I have only one active email account. And I hardly open this id once in a month.

[link]

kyosuke said:

I have 17 email address......

6 Yahoo

3 AOL

2 College

1 Work

3 Hotmail

2 Gmail

..Most cause Xbox was giving free Xbox Gold to new email addresses

kyosuke said:

umm and 3 foreign address so 20

Hi,

I have 12 active: 7 for business and 5 for personal use.

The 7 business accounts are divided into:

- personal business email;

- department email ;

- security (router logs, UPS warnings, enterprise-wide anti-virus, specific proxy logs, etc)

- mail (content filtering, logs from mail gateway, etc);

- container1: forward of some other specific email accounts;

- container2: forward of some other specific email accounts;

- ndr messages (I know, it could be in Mail acc, but guess what....);

Personal:

- one for family and friends;

- one for general purpose;

- one for newsletters and other lists;

- two old addresses for when I'm not confortable using any of above;

I also have other 6 personal accounts which are active but I'm not checking them regularly.

All of these email accounts, 10 are managed centraly in Outlook 2003 client where I have rules to place the emails in the correct folders and search folders to keep things in hand.

Cheers,

(WOW ! 79 accounts??

With different passwords? Man!

In face of the trouble that surely gives, I bet it feels VERY rewarding when you get spam in any of those accounts .... )

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

4 here...

1 - Personal (for family only)

2 - Gmail (for general purpose & Android)

3 - Yahoo! (for subscriptions)

4 - Work provided. (Been considering a work subscription account lately.)

andymoles said:

I have 3 Work related Email addresses, and 2 personal accounts 1 gmail and 1 yahoo account for newsletter and news related stuff. The Best part is that I'm able to access all of them from one place, as I've configured those email accounts in Taroby www.taroby.com - A web based Email Client.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

...WOW ! 79 accounts??

With different passwords? Man!

Except for the occasional instance where the address is spammed (I usually close out the address once I've accounted for correspondance) I haven't had a single item of junk, spam or virus to account for in 5+ years.

I also recommend to friends and clients; etailers, online auctioneers, tech forums, entertainment and educational sites*, and to make as sure as possible I vet every contact for at least three months before recommending to these people. Diverting junk and spam to a folder is all well and good, but using the same address for every sign-up won't tell you where the crap originated from or whose giving out your address.

* I work with the deaf community quite intensively, and deaf people tend to rely more heavily of electronic communication than do non-hearing impaired people, since the simple act of using the phone for instance can be either daunting or impossible for some. The internet also provides many interactive rehabilitation resources for people who have regained some measure of their hearing back through hearing aids, surgery or cochlear implantation-unfortunately the same people who are desperate to re-establish their hearing skills and partake in the normality of the hearing world quite often find themselves falling prey to the more unscrupulous individuals on the net.

Checking seventy-nine addresses (the number varies) isn't a chore compared with keeping grief and stress from the people who have enough on their plate. SInce most people who lose (and sometimes regain) hearing tend to be elderly, being tech-savvy isn't usually high on their life skills achievements.

/climbs off soapbox