Dragon Age II coming March 8, new trailer released

By on August 17, 2010, 9:00 PM
BioWare has provided a solid release date for its upcoming sequel to 2009's gritty fantasy RPG, Dragon Age: Origins. PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Dragon Age II will land in US stores on March 8, 2011. Europeans will have to wait another three days for a March 11 launch. Of course, if you have $50 burning a hole in your pocket, you can preorder the game online -- for PC anyway, it's $60 on consoles.

The story is set sometime after the Blight of Fereldan and unfolds over the course of a decade in a "non-linear framed narrative" as you resave the world from the Darkspawn and other threats. New features include a fresh art style and a reactive combat system that should make for faster-paced action. BioWare released a trailer today, and while it's pretty cool, we're bummed it doesn't show in-game footage.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

"...and while it's pretty cool, we're bummed it doesn't show in-game footage."

Agreed. Pretty hard to get excited about a cut-scene video clip.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Awesome looking trailer - and as addicted as I am to DA now I think this is a must have for me. I just hope I won't have to do another hardware upgrade to run this well... or maybe it'll be a good excuse for an upgrade

Cueto_99 said:

I can only say "Wowwww!!" what a trailer and what a fight! was that last spell Blood Magic? I'm already thrilled and I will preorder as soon as it is published on Steam

TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

Game trailers keep looking better and better, This one is up there with Star Wars and Metal Gear. I hope the in game graphics are not as disappointing as in DA. The ME2 U3 engine looks great are run great.

nazartp said:

titobxny said:

Google for "Dragon Age 2" and one of the first links shows some screenshots from the game. Can't post the link - the web-site is blocked at work. Definitely some improvement, obviously not such an eye-candy as the trailer.

The trailer is great, even if it is not a gameplay one. The mechanics of movement is excellent. I was also quite impressed with the depth of field in the shot when they show the spear (or whatever it is) lying on the ground. Really cinematic view.

Staff
Jesse Jesse said:

That trailer got me pumped! Super excited to play through DA2.

Zilpha Zilpha said:

I read the review in gameinformer, and to be quite honest, in the face of DA: Origins and the sheer amount of "choice" we had, I was kind of underwhelmed by the direction they are taking with this game. One thing I would like to see even if they are locking the game down to one main character and essentially one story, is at least male and female options. All the Baldur's gate games had choices, the first Dragon age had choices, and it's almost like I was a little spoiled by all that and this is more disappointing than anything.

In a world where the face of gaming is changing to be more inclusive, I find it hard to be on board with what essentially boils down to creative laziness. That's just my take on it, anyway. I just don't see what will set this apart from any other standard RPG when the *choice* is taken away (and customizing his face and selecting dialogue isn't what I really consider true choice).

The great thing about DA wasn't that it was all that spectacular of a game as far as design and control, it was the choice and the depth in which you could build your character. And somehow, it always felt like *your* character, no matter who you were. I don't think that they are going to recapture that magic with this game.

ddg4005 ddg4005 said:

I have to get back into playing Dragon Age. I'll definitely be picking up the sequel.