Rumor: Google Chrome OS tablet coming November 26

By on August 18, 2010, 5:12 PM
It was rumored in May that Google was developing an iPad rival, and an unnamed tipster cited by Download Squad has shed more light on the project. The device will supposedly use Chrome OS and it's being built by HTC, the same folks who made Google's Nexus One smartphone. Unsurprisingly, the tablet will use Verizon's wireless network, and it could be heavily subsidized or even free when purchased with a data contract. Note: the picture is a mock-up.

Download Squad speculates Google's slate will use Nvidia's Tegra 2 platform and carry a 1280x720 multitouch display, two gigs of RAM, a 32GB SSD (at least), Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and LTE connectivity, along with GPS functionality, a webcam and expandable storage -- but that's not from the source. However, the insider did say the release date would be November 26, which just so happens to be Black Friday, the busiest shopping day in the US.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

I picture a giant HTC HD2 with google chrome on it which wouldn be kinda cool. I am always looking and hoping for a tablet to use for school maybe this will be the one.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

If it lets me open pdf files and is not crazy expensive than I'll take one.

kyosuke said:

I like the HP Slate but Google can produce great stuff more so when not connected with Sprint

Regenweald said:

The Nexus one brought a resounding 'Meh' to the smartphone world. I almost expect the same of the tablet. I wonder if they'll make it require a google account to use it ? All the secrecy then the final device just makes you go: "Oh, ok...."

Jibberish18 said:

I can't wait until Tablets replace Laptops for everyday use.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Jibberish18 said:

I can't wait until Tablets replace Laptops for everyday use.

+1 for that, Laptops P*ss me off no end.