Origin launches hybrid Xbox 360, luxury gaming PC

By on September 7, 2010, 4:02 PM
Have an undivided passion for PC and console gaming? Can your savings account back it up? Great! Feast your eyes on "The Big O" -- a hybrid Xbox 360 dream machine. Starting at $7,669, Origin's gaming monstrosity is outfitted with a Core i7 930 overclocked to 4.0GHz, an Asus Rampage III Extreme motherboard, 6GB of 1600MHz Corsair RAM, SLI'ed Nvidia GTX 480s, dual 50GB Vertex 2 SSDs in RAID 0, a 2TB WD Caviar Black for storage, a 1500W PSU, and other luxury hardware.

All of that shares a doublewide chassis with a liquid-cooled Xbox 360. Things get even crazier (read: more expensive). For $17,000, the company is selling an entirely liquid-cooled model with twin Xeon X5680 processors overclocked at 4.3GHz, an EVGA SR2 mobo, 12GB of 2000MHz RAM, quad-SLI GTX 480s, quad-RAID SSDs, dual 2TB storage, two 1050W Enermax PSUs, and the Xbox 360. The more expensive package also has a lengthier three-year warranty, but both have lifetime tech support.

The Big O is obviously limited to folks with "more money than sense," but the rest of us can still admire it from afar.

princeton princeton said:

That;s quite the beast. But I wonder why they kept it using onboard sound. For $17,000 there's no reason not to have something like an X-FI titanium. That aside than that I'd do anything for one.

KG363 KG363 said:

I'll take two

Cueto_99 said:

Definately "more money than sense" I totally agree with that...

Yeah.... But can it run Crysis 2?

Cueto_99 said:

Yeah.... But can it run Crysis 2?

The only one running into a crysis will be you... a Financial Crysis... lol

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

princeton said:

There is a simple reason for that actually: There simply isn't enough space. The SR2 has 7 PCIe-x16 slots. Slots 1, 3, 5, and 7 are populated by double width video cards (even if they are liquid cooled), so the remaining 3 slots are effectively unusable, therefore no place to put a dedicated sound card.

grvalderrama said:

17.000? That's 68.000 argentinian pesos. I can buy a Peugeot 207 fully equipped with that amount of money... insane!

thatguyandrew92 said:

Lol that front makes it look like it's sponsored by Target

gruesomeA said:

Techspot's next giveaway????

princeton princeton said:

madboyv1 said:

princeton said:

Aww man. So if I found a bag of money and bought one I couldn't put a sound card? I love my nice audio so it's somewhat a waste for me. Though with a motherboard like that I'm sure it's better than something like VIA HD audio that's coupled with every budget board every made.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

I'll pass... that thing would destroy my electric bill. For $17k I'll buy myself a new car and maybe even a bike

Emin3nce said:

Can it make my coffee for me? Also included lapdances for that price thanks.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Man, that thing looks like the insides of the Alien spaceship....

kakarot27 said:

Emin3nce said:

Can it make my coffee for me? Also included lapdances for that price thanks.

no but u can cook waffles 3 waffles at a time in-between the 480s

KG363 KG363 said:

kakarot27 said:

Emin3nce said:

Can it make my coffee for me? Also included lapdances for that price thanks.

no but u can cook waffles 3 waffles at a time in-between the 480s

Good enough.

Miyasashi said:

If you visit the website by clicking the "The Big O" link you will notice it saying:

Audio

* Creative Fatal1ty Sound card (front mounted panel)

Still that computer is too much... I spent around 1800 euros for mine 1.5 years ago:

Antec Twelve Hundred Case

Core i7-920

Gigabyte ex58-extreme

Corsair 6GB DDR3-1600mhz

Sapphire Radeon 4870x2

Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w

12-in-1 Card Reader from Scythe

Samsung Superwritemaster

and most likely all the prices went down especially the CPU, I can buy the same computer for probably 1400-1600... I haven't even overclocked this system but I am sure it's not far away performance wise if I would.

EDIT: it only has the audio-card if you take the standard configuration, the CPU Magazine one only has onboard. :P

4 GTX 480s = no available expansion slots for anything.

posermobile89 said:

Alright, who is buying me one?

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Why the hell would you want an Xbox if you have that lol. Four top-end GPU's, and you want a 720p mid-range-graphics console... yeah right.

neowing said:

Is this can play xbox360 game without console ?

Also, I am curious why company named it "The Big 0" because there are anime called "The Big 0"

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

What happens if it RROD's lol

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Notice they went with the brand Enermax to power the four Geforce 480s. I'll probably go with an Enermax on the next build. I've been told my the pros here at Techspot (Didou? Maybe LNCPapa) that Enermax is a fantastic brand to go by. Thanks Techspot, you've been serving me News since I was 12 or 13.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

st1ckm4n said:

Because no matter how many GTX 480s are in the system, you can't play Xbox 360 exclusives on a PC.

How much will this be worth in a couple of years?

Miyasashi said:

The funny thing is, the newer Xbox is only around 250-300 euro/dollar and some uber computer is ranging from 1500-6000 euro/dollar, if you buy both you still have lots left to spend if you had 17.000 in your hand lol

Leeky Leeky said:

Its sponsored by Target! "Aim here!"

Very excessive, certainly something for the lottery winners out there!

Is the Xbox and the PC rolled into that one case then? I can't really see where the Xbox is....

jonelsorel said:

4 GTX 480s = no available expansion slots for anything.

What exactly would you need to expand this crazy pc to?

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

cool ... with such device i'm sure i can go back home (the moon) ... says the rabbids ... now lets put it on the bottom of the pile :P

i think it's so expensive, whomever buying this must have a lot of money, humm... OK, let's go get that person!

well would be nice if we could also get a PS3-PC hybrid with liquid cooling, was thinking of building one myself, but don't have time, who knows maybe soon! :P

cheers!

jonelsorel said:

Overpriced shit. Check parts prices at newegg, I bet you can buy a lot more with 7000$. And who would want an Xbox when you have a 20x more powerful machine? Beats me..

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

Not even all my computers combined costs $17.000! But hey, having one of these around the shop will definently attract customers!

Leeky Leeky said:

You won't be saying that once arrows start appearing on its front!! :p

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

Well, if you got that much money to spend on this kind of machine, you'd probably invest on an external DAC instead of a sound card anyway. My sources tell me they best any sound card out there and they cost way more as well.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Matthew said:

st1ckm4n said:

Well in the same way, there are Wii/PS3 and any other consoles that have specific games for just those consoles. :P What I was getting at more, is that 4x 480's will let you play tri-screen 3D, any game. Why you'd want to put up with dodgy 720p graphics after witnessing bliss, I will never know lol.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Gotcha st1ckm4n. Fair enough. I guess for me, visuals are a second priority. Gameplay matters more.

princeton princeton said:

Matthew said:

The best gameplay in the world could be ruined by mediocre controls. You know like every good console game that isn't on pc. Just kidding :P. But I still can't get the feel of console controls when i know how much better my mouse and keyboard is.

Kind of pointless to put the Xbox in there since you can't go on Live with a modified system. <shrug>

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Well this is actually the first proper mod of an Xbox I've ever seen. What would be awesome is someone.. somehow.. modding the CPU of consoles to be used for PC games.

That is incorrect. The other 3 PCI express slots are still usable, only not as a 16 pins slot. It will be considered by the motherboard as an 8 pins slot, if I remember correctly.

Also, if the four graphic cards are not placed in the right slots, that is 1-3-5-7, they will not be used as 16 pins. Only the first will, the others will be detected as 8 pins.

If you don't beleive it is possible, check here :

oups, last post was addressed at madboyv1.

put in a PS3 instead of an Xbox and I'll buy one.

I'd be afraid I'd get raided for growing marijuana in the house when my electric meter started spinning at 8000 rpm's

RealXboxMaster said:

Useless!!. $17k for this.... ah ah. for $17k I'll invest it somewhere else where it will make me money. You will NEVER EVER use this type of power on this machine. it's OVER KILL...wasted power for what????? ............so you can run a FPS @ 600FPS....lol

lpmjames lpmjames said:

sign me up for one..

satty said:

I'll buy this if i was a billionaire or something...!!

I cant spend that much(yet) for gaming

en0nym0us en0nym0us said: