AMD is not for sale, and neither is Twitter

By on October 6, 2010, 1:22 PM
Two companies from completely different areas of the tech world today squashed rumors that they are for sale. The CEO of Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), the second largest CPU supplier, and the new CEO of Twitter, a microblogging social network, have made statements emphasizing that their corresponding company is not for sale.

"AMD is not for sale, but we are happy to listen to any proposal which is in the interest to our shareholders," AMD CEO Dirk Meyer told an industry conference in Barcelona and was quoted by Reuters. Oracle CEO Larry Ellison said last month his firm is keen to make more acquisitions and a microchip company could be a good fit. The result was rabid speculation that AMD was at the top of Oracle's list.

"We have a truck-load of work ahead of us but we have no plans to sell out and think of Twitter as being a communications platform for a long time to come," Twitter CEO Dick Costolo told The Telegraph. Earlier this week, Costolo was promoted from chief operating officer to chief executive officer, taking over the role from Evan Williams, whose job title is now co-founder. Speculation that Twitter was up for sale came with Costolo's appointment, who has previously sold two companies: Feedburner, an RSS platform which he sold to Google in 2007, and SpyOnIt, a web page monitoring service he sold to 724 Solutions in 2000.

Really?

I was hoping to add them both to my portfolio.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

I told my dad about twitter in 2007 when it might have been possible. He said "looks like a flop." Now here we are.

"[T]he second largest CPU supplier. . ." HAHAHAHA

You mean the losing CPU supplier, right? Since there are basically only two... LOL

IBM also produces CPU... did you know that ? ....

grvalderrama said:

Hmm... I though IBM produces the technology to produce CPUs. Have I been missinformed?

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

by that standard yes, there are way more than two suppliers. CPU's are in all types of devices.

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

AMD still supplies more than a lot of other CPU-suppliers. Even though AMD supplies less than Intel in the CPU-market for Stan McNormalguy, I recall reading on AMD's website that AMD is the primary supplier for the US. army, for instance.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Of course they are,

^I count at least 8 big suppliers on that list.

AMD

SIS

Intel

TI

ZF

NSC

Centaur

IDT

there are more that that too....

woah don't forget about ARM, and there's another biggie I can't recall, and IBM does make processors - they have a 5.9 ghz server processor. Not a mainstream part by any means, I heard the tab is ~$100,000 a part. I also believe they get Global Foundry to do their fab. AMD is about to get very interesting in the next few years would be my speculation.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

...and there's another biggie I can't recall...

Oracle (Sun) + Fujitsu's SPARC64 would probably be it. Most notable being the T3 ( 8 core, 128 thread).

Technically Motorola and Freescale should likely be on the list also.

@grvalderrama

In a word....Power7. And this is what a module of (stock) watercooled 800watt Power7's looks like