Netflix streaming on PS3 gets 1080p, surround sound, no disc

By on October 14, 2010, 3:18 PM
Streaming Netflix to your PlayStation 3 is about to get better, next week. You'll be able to stream Instant Watch content without the Netflix disc and also watch some content in 1080p with 5.1-channel surround sound (thanks to a partnership with Dolby Digital Plus). Netflix plans to offer 5.1-channel surround sound to other devices "over time," but the company wouldn't say when it would roll out the feature or to which devices.

On Monday October 18, PS3 owners will be able to access Netflix via a new app in the video category of the PS3 media bar (you can use the Netflix disc as a Frisbee or a coaster from then on). The improvements also come with a sleek new UI that Sony says will offer "a much richer and faster browsing experience, content search directly on the device, and dramatic improvements in how fast playback starts."

We thought the Netflix update for the Xbox 360 was good, but if you factor in the lack of monthly charges for the PS3's online offerings, Sony is now winning. Microsoft needs to strike back, and soon.

cyrusjumpjet cyrusjumpjet said:

Some of the content will be available in 1080i, not 1080p as reported.

1080p streaming is still a long way off.

Emil said:

cyrusjumpjet said:

Some of the content will be available in 1080i, not 1080p as reported.

1080p streaming is still a long way off.

No, Sony first said 1080i but has since corrected that and said 1080p.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Well I know my internet connection is no where near fast enough for that.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

this is not available in my part of the world, so don't really care :P

but it's a good thing indeed for Netflix users on PS3.

cheers!

Omnislip said:

If you're in the UK then Lovefilm will be offering this service on the PS3 very soon as well. It wont be quite as good, but it is there.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Omnislip said:

Why won't it be quite as good? as in is something missing etc...

I have a lovefilm account and a ps3, would be interesting to use at least, considering i'll have fiber internet to my house by chrismas (40Mb download, 10Mb upload) it would definately be something i'm looking into!

gobbybobby said:

(40Mb download, 10Mb upload) Bt infinity? Lucky u im still on 1.5megD/448kU BT... Will you be able to not stream, but download it (say overnight)? I don't have a HD TV and can just stream 480P on this line... If they do offer SD stream it be cheaper I hope!

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

gobbybobby said:

If you vote, maybe, Just maybe, they will give it to you

gobbybobby said:

No they won't. Only for exchanges with more than 1000 lines, My one only has 500. Still tho 6 people voted my exchange anyway \0/

cyrusjumpjet cyrusjumpjet said:

EmilP said:

cyrusjumpjet said:

Some of the content will be available in 1080i, not 1080p as reported.

1080p streaming is still a long way off.

No, Sony first said 1080i but has since corrected that and said 1080p.

This is interesting... I just found the Sony update they were talking about, but I'm actually, uh, closely connected with Netflix and the information they have is definitely 1080i.

Not sure what to think at this point.

1080p working good and showing up on my led light on the receiver for 1080p