Apple revamps MacBook Air, adds new 11.6" model

By on October 20, 2010, 3:30 PM
Apple has revamped its MacBook Air, making it quicker, smaller, and more power efficient. The Air series completely drops mechanical hard drives, shipping with only flash storage. Thanks to decisions like that, the new machines weigh as little as 2.3 or 2.9lbs depending on the size and measure 0.11-0.68 inches between the thinnest and thickest points. That compares to its predecessor's 0.16-0.76-inch, 3lb body.

Systems are available in 11.6 and 13.3-inch models with two set configurations for each. Starting at $999, the 11-inch features a 1366x768 screen, a 1.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB of DDR3 1066MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce 320M graphics, and 64GB of storage. For another $200 you can get the 11-incher equipped with a 128GB flash drive, while 4GB of RAM and a 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo are upgradeable for $100 each.

Meanwhile, the 13-inch Air costs between $1,299 and $1,599, packing a 1440x900 resolution display, a 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of RAM (optional 4GB), and a GeForce 320M. The price difference again boils down to storage. The cheaper option has a 128GB SSD, while the more expensive iteration doubles that to 256GB. The pricier MacBook Air also has the option to upgrade to a 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo for $100.

All versions of the latest MacBook Air come with a glass multi-touch trackpad, a webcam, one Mini DisplayPort, two USB 2.0 ports, as well as 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR connectivity. An SD card slot is exclusive to the 13-incher. Battery life is quoted at five hours for the 11-inch model and seven hours for the 13-inch, while both are rated for up to 30 days of standby time. Units are available now via Apple's web store.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm sorry, I was reading the article and even though I couldn't find it in the features described, but, which of these machines is the one that can cook me breakfast in the morning?

Oh, what? I assume that if I'm going to pay $1,599 bucks for a 13-inch netbook, there has go to be at the very least some sexual favor involved. Yes, you read sexual.

cardriverx said:

I really hope someone makes a laptop similar to this for half the price (and with windows). While I hate apple, I gotta admit the form factor would be excelent for a college student like myslef.

princeton princeton said:

cardriverx said:

Doubt it. I've seen it stutter doing simple word processing.

NeoFlux said:

Photos from front on the apple site is misleading. Taking into account the shadow and that the keyboard's surface goes by angle, we should see keys.... The cake is a LIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fwilliams said:

Do students still use Windows? That is so like what grandfather used!

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

The sad part is that some person, somewhere, will actually pay Apple their asking price.

Its basically a glorified netbook. Its not supposed to run Crysis people.

It looks really nice and I like that they cut boot time to less than 15 seconds according to Forbes, that's a heck a lot faster than my PITA Vista laptop thank you very much. I'd be interested except it has no CD/DVD-drive and I haven't gotten to the point where I can live without one.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

Its basically a glorified netbook. Its not supposed to run Crysis people.

It IS a netbook. It practically has the same specs as the one my daughter has and hers runs Windows XP and cost around $300.

Exactly what makes this model so special that Steve Jobs thinks he can get $1000 for it? You are looking at maybe $350-500 in parts w/ the OS.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Most useless product ever.

Darkshadoe said:

Its basically a glorified netbook. Its not supposed to run Crysis people.

QFT

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Doubt it. I've seen it stutter doing simple word processing.

How? These were just released today.

Zilliak said:

These are so sexy but performance to price its....lets just say "Crysis" is exactly what this is

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

zilliak said:

Hmm, I don't know, I think these will never have a "Crysis"!

Zing!

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It's interesting that both the 11 and 13 inch models have higher resolution LCD's than the regular 13 inch macbooks/macbook pro's. I don't see the logic in putting a nicer screen in your ultra-portable line of computers, unless they are planning on updating their other laptops soon. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the 320m is the g216 core, which probably performs around the level of the grpahics chip in the ION 2 platform, which is based of the g218. Not very impressive for 1000 dollars or more. It's still pretty darn nice looking though...

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

Darkshadoe said:

Not only does NO netbook have a Geforce 320, but no netbook has an Intel Core 2 Duo. It's also thinner and sturdier than any other netbook.

So much biased hatred...

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

These new Mac Book Air offerings most likely follow Apple tradition and carry excellent IPS displays! That, plus a likely 40% profit margin, explains the price, although I wouldn't go so far as to say it justifies it.

Do students still use Windows? That is so like what grandfather used!
You're just sooooo hip. You're just sooo 2010. Text yourself about it.

You're right, I think fwilliams would.

And if you stuffed a SSD in your laptop, it would probably boot in 15 seconds too! Well, maybe not Vista, but Windows 7 might.

Buying a few flash drives would ease your withdrawal from optical media.

We dont need your opinion to all people who say bad things about the new macbook air. this is a magnificient laptop or a netbook to say at least. stop comparing it to windows machines damn it. if you hate apple brand then just shut up. stop whining about it folks. just complain why you dont have the money to buy it.

arhhh people who really have interest in technology should appreciate these not stamped on it just because its an apple brand or due to steve jobs. I hate people who always complain without looking at the big picture first.

sorry for my english.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well OK, I can categorically state that I don't want one. That isn't a qualitative assessment, I simply don't want one.

I think that it's wonderful that you're claiming you can afford one. Is that the point you're trying to make?

The rest of your blather and bluster rant, is just the same old Aphole groupie BS. Apple is just so technologically advanced we don't understand it...blah, blah ad nauseum.... The white cases make them work better. The iPad is the tablet more ****** prefer, since you can't hold it upside down, no matter how long you persist in trying to.

And yes, in spite of the fact that Steve Jobs speaks personally to each and every member of the "Apple Corps", from inside a burning bush, I still don't want one.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

That is about the only thing that bothers me about this release. I have a MBP 13.3 and its resolution is crap. Many years ago I bought the 15" Powerbook 1.67Ghz G4 with the hi-res display, its display was higher resolution than any 15" MBP you can get now. I don't understand how Apple, who makes those really nice cinema displays, can provide such crap resolution in their notebook computers. The display on the Pro lines still look pretty good (colors, viewing angles), but the resolution is pathetic.

Yeah really, when you consider the resolution on the iPhone is now 300 dpi

I'm wondering if the power consumption might go up, as the pixel count in the screen increases. (same transistors, more of 'em). (Of course most of the power is drawn by the backlight, I suppose that might shoot that theory down).

Here I'm going to lead the charge to defend Apple in this regard. My 300 dollar notebook is only 1280 X 800, and it's on of them thar crappy TN panels.

That said, what did I expect for 300 bucks.

@captaincranky,

what if it doesnt have an apple logo and runs windows 7 but still priced at $999. Will you say BS things about this laptop? enough of the apple and windows fanboyism BS youre saying. Be a grown up, appreciate things and good things will come to you my friend.

- windows user for 15years

PS: damn i saw the hands-on by laptopmag at youtube. this notebook is a beauty.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

So much biased hatred...

Okay, I'll make the hatred easier for you to deal with, I'll take a netbook(choose your brand)which belongs to me with same specs as the macbook air, which belongs to you and I'll stand on them both. At least I still have money to blow at the bar tonight.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

That's because other than the people that buy apple for production reasons the rest might as well be considered the lost cause. I have a few apple fanboy friends and I love when they get a new product and read off the cool specs bro. That's when I proceed to my box of oldies but goodies. They look in and see nothing but old pc parts. So I walk away and they're confused. THE END.

^ another tech guy who cant appreciate technology saying BS and starting windows vs osx, macs vs pc war.

you cant even design a chip or a motherboard to justify your statements, yeah its pricey but macs are sold as a system not an individual parts that you can buy at your local store and then build it yourself putting windows into it. apple is an exclusive store and seller. asus, msi, gigabyte wont build apple's motherboard for the masses that is why its pricey. sometimes take yourself to break.

its funny everytime i read in the morning and go to this website, it is always you guys commenting BS at every articles. be positive dude.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

SNGX1275 said:

It is pretty rampant regardless of the maker. 6 years ago I got my Thinkpad with a 15", 1600x1200 screen. A few years after that, you have the Dell e6500 that has an option for a 15.4", 1920x1200 screen. Now I understand both systems are business platforms where screen real estate is important, but I am tired of seeing 15" screens only 1280x800/1440x900, "high end 15.4" " and 17" screens at 1680x1050 (16" often at 1600x900)... I prefer the 15/15.4 size, but it is almost impossible to find a decently spec'd laptop that has both the internals and the pixel density I want.

@fwilliams: I'm not sure if that was a joke or not, but engineering/science heavy universities still rely heavily on software that is Windows based, so yes, students these days still use windows. Even Comm students at my old Alma Mater are not required to use Macs and a considerable number don't, though the iPhone has driven a number to get a Mac so they can "match". I'm not even gonna get into gaming (since the world does not necessarily revolve around Blizzard and Steam/Valve) lol.

IamBD said:

I just wonder why they are promoting this with a "Facetime Camera" instead of what its really is, a regular old webcam. I wonder how many people are going to fall for that marketing trick.

Because....!

Oh well, if that explanation doesn't satisfy you, you're not a prime candidate for the "Apple Corps". For shame.

The technical explanation is this; it's "Aphole Speak".

When you buy an Apple product, you begin to, "walk the walk". When you begin to conceptualilze an ordinary webcam as a supremely technologically advanced, "Facetime Camera", your indoctrination is complete, as you are now, "talking the talk", in a manner of speaking. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist slapping in one more bad pun).

@captaincranky,

- windows user for 15years

PS: damn i saw the hands-on by laptopmag at youtube. this notebook is a beauty.

Just don't get the lid of yours all sticky "drooling" on it, that might void the warranty. Is this something else you have to send back to China to have the batteries replaced?

Actually, I'm not a Windows fanboi, I just find the BS that comes out of Cupertino so repugnant, that Windows is where I am, and Windows is where I'm staying.

Keep flogging the styling though, maybe you'll meet an Apple groupie-ette, and just the sight of the shiny white case will get you laid. Hey, could happen, and if it does, more power to you.

IamBD said:

captaincranky said:

@captaincranky,

- windows user for 15years

PS: damn i saw the hands-on by laptopmag at youtube. this notebook is a beauty.

Your're right. Its just like their "PC vs MAC" commercials. A Mac is still a personal computer (PC), but they have others thinking otherwise.

To me Apples computers really arent anything different than Window machines other than OS, but I guess paying that premium price is all for that OS and a white or silver shell.

One more thing. Have you ever held a notebook HDD? They weigh next to nothing.

Seriously, why the hate?

I'm no Apple lover, but if you compare the new 11" macbook air to the only laptop you can really compare it to, the 11" alienware m11x, this is what you get:

macbook air 11":

160GB SATA HDD -

~3 Hours battery life -

Bluetooth not included (20$) -

Windows 7 Home Premium -

1,27" 4,39 pounds -

PRICE: 819$

If we want an SSD like macbook air, we need to subtract the 160GB HDD and add an 128GB SSD

160GB HDD: ~40$ 128GB SSD: ~220$

PRICE w/ SSD: 999$

That's the only fair comparing you really can do, and as you can see the air outperforms the m11x in nearly all fields. It's 2x thinner, 2x lighter, better battery life, faster CPU, bluetooth, mac and windows and it isn't plastic.

Pricing looks pretty fair to me, it isn't just the good ol' apple tax.

Please, by all means, I am no Apple fan, I don't own any Apple products (well an old, nasty ipod, that's it) and all my computers are Windows/Linux based. But, really, the hate for Apple now is just ridiculous, I think the air is one of the most solid products they have put out in a loooong time.

IamBD said:

Bluetooth not included (20$) -

Windows 7 Home Premium -

1,27" 4,39 pounds -

PRICE: 819$

160GB HDD: ~40$ 128GB SSD: ~220$

PRICE w/ SSD: 999$

Pricing looks pretty fair to me, it isn't just the good ol' apple tax.

I'm hating on Apple, but I do think that they could be a little more reasonable price wise with what they have instead of giving certain parts a new name and "taxing" it.

As for Alienware, since Dell bought them out they havent been that great. I had one of their desktops that didnt work properly for the year I had it, and they never fixed it. They're overpriced as well IMO.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well, I would ask you to consider this, "Alienware" is also marketed as a high end product. Therefore, there's probably a fair amount of "status padding", in their pricing structure as well.

As to the thinness and whatnot of any product, that adds to a general lack of serviceability to any item. We've moved to modular electronics for many years, since bench work on most pieces of electronics is impractical. That said, dealing with a desktop is an easy prospect, pop out an old module, pop in a new one.

The packing density of these new products is ridiculous. It forces the throw away nature of electronics forward to a whole new level. Given Apple's repair pricing structure, it's not overly critical to suggest that the, "point of no return", with respect to repair costs vs depreciation will be reached very rapidly. Thus rendering your new $1000.00 (or more) status toy into Chinese landfill.

Aldous Huxley saw this coming in 1937, when he coined this little slogan, "ending is better than mending".

IamBD said:

I meant 'not' hating on Apple. My bad. I shouldnt be doing this from work. lol

That's the case with practically all laptops anyway, repairs and service for them has always been tough because they're not modular. Saying that thinness goes hand in hand with general lack of serviceability is not a good mindset, should the development of laptops and electronics just stop as big, clunky hogs? If there's anything that's natural in electronics development it's that stuff shrinks more and more every year.

I know Alienware isn't exactly a budget label, but it's the only fair comparing you can do. There's no budget company that can deliver an 11" with those specs, it's as simple as that.

Apple computers aren't the most prone to fail on the market, their lifespan is pretty good compared to other companys and they strive to make their products environmentally friendly and "green" (even though I really don't care about stuff like that).

Just saying, plastic brakes easier than aluminum.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I think the price is wrong. For the money, if I really wanted an Apple based computer, why wouldn't I just get a MacBook Pro 13" with all the features?

Putting them side-by-side:

MackBook Air 13"

* 1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor

* 2GB memory

* 128GB flash storage

* Built-in battery (7 hours)

* NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics

* 802.11N with Bluetooth 2.1

$1,299

MacBook Pro 13"

* 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* 4GB Memory

* 250GB hard drive

* SD card slot

* Built-in battery (10 hours)

* NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics

* 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet

* One FireWire 800 port

* 802.11N with Bluetooth 2.1

* 8x slot-loading SuperDrive

$1,199

The one glaring omission is a $350 upgrade to swap the MacBook Pro's SATA with a SDD 128 GB drive. But all things considered, I'm getting a better computer for less money if I pick the Pro. Others could contest that HP, Asus, Dell or Toshiba can get me a similar computer for even less money, and they're probably right.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Just saying, plastic brakes easier than aluminum.

And in the case of these new notebooks with an SSD in lieu of a HDD, that's even more true.

With that being said, it really does seem to be in Apple's favor to NOT be the manufacturer with the highest failure rate. With their entry price point average being one of, if not the highest in the industry, along with their extravagant repair and or upgrade charges, it behooves then to not have s** that breaks. So then, this is sort of a chicken or the egg conundrum.

And with THAT said, in certain product arenas, Apple does seem to be narrowing the gap with respect to hardware specs in relation to price. At the end of the day, perhaps they got tired of having their a**es handed to them by Windows based machines.

This brouhaha about notebooks is at least partially misplaced at this site. Most of the active members are "enthusiasts", and as such, they are much more disposed to building their own desktops, with the choice of notebook or netbook being based on need, rather than a more "ethereal" or "status based" sensibility.

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

supersmashbrada said:

At least I still have money to blow at the bar tonight.

Can't argue with that!

Although perhaps I have oodles of money and can still get a drink with you...

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

NO netbook have a Geforce 320

I said this before, but here it is again: How much faster is this really than nVidia's ION 2? Just judging by their raw specs, it does not look like there is too much of a diifference.

Seriously, why the hate?

Bluetooth not included (20$) -

Windows 7 Home Premium -

1,27" 4,39 pounds -

PRICE: 819$

160GB HDD: ~40$ 128GB SSD: ~220$

PRICE w/ SSD: 999$

Pricing looks pretty fair to me, it isn't just the good ol' apple tax.

OR, you could get the 950$ mx11 with a corei5, and add your own SSD, and actually have a comparison at the same price. Note how now the MX11 has a significantly faster CPU than the air. I'd like to see some benchmarks on apple's SSD's as well. My guess is that they are not exactly top of the line.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Ya know, this Mac Book thingy doesn't actually have an SSD. The "drive" is integrated directly onto the motherboard. Good Lord, I hope this thing has TRIM support.

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It's not exactly integrated, it just uses it's own special interface.

[link]

The controller is a Toshiba T6UG1XBG, so I think the hardware supports TRIM. Whether this can actually be used or not is a different question altogether but I'm pretty sure OS X can not use it.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I stand corrected. Although, it is an Apple part, at what I'm sure would be Apple pricing, should the need arise.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

It's not exactly integrated, it just uses it's own special interface.

[link]

I don't know the answer to this question, and neither does this article ( [link] ) but it asks "Does OS X need TRIM?"

I didn't look into it very far, but either the Mac OS or the file system itself doesn't suffer from all the problems NTFS does without TRIM support.

Well what we have here, a group of apple haters. To apple haters, Go back to your mama and tell them why they raised such close-minded people. You should make a company that make retard comments to new innovations so that your brains will not go to waste.

anyway, this laptop is magnificent, so thin. wish it has the option for windows 7. and replace the the mac keys to winkeys and this is a best seller. $999 is a good price. no competition since adamo is dead.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Oh look, what have we here, another Apple groupie, in a drive by exhibition of what it's like to suffer paranoid delusions of grandeur.

Finally, someone points out the obvious....

Leeky Leeky said:

The MSI X340.

Its tiny, even with the optional 8 cell battery pack, and its running W7 and Ubuntu 10.10 wonderfully. I've actually had most OS' installed on it now, and its handled them very well - Far better than my expectations actually.

The keyboard is taking some getting used to though, the underneath of it is far too soft and flimsy, but all in all it's a very good package. Typing with it seems OK though, my biggest problem has been re-adjusting between the US keyboard layout, when compared with the UK keyboard I'm used to.

The performance is pretty good in both Windows and Linux as well. It's not the fastest by any means, but it does absolutely everything needed for studying, and everything else in between.

Only two things have got my attention with it so far:

1. You have to remove the entire lower housing in order to gain access to the memory and HDD, removing a void if removed label in the process. Kind of annoying since I wanted to fit a 4GB stick, and a SSD to it.

2. The keyboard flexes quite a bit - Again the warranty issue is preventing me from removing the cover and putting something like carbon fibre (purely for super lightweight strength) on the bottom of the keyboard in order to strengthen it!

Those "issues" aside, I absolutely love this laptop. I especially like the MSI logo that lights up on the lid when its turned on as well, its a nice little touch. I'm also plesently surprised by the 1.4GHz penryn Intel SU3500 CPU, for its speed, and only being a single core, single thread CPU its doing a good job of handling software being thrown at it in both Windows and Linux.

god damn why cant we customize. I want the lowest possible hd and the best processor and graphics. I dont want to spend a crapload of money for better graphics just to have 90% of the increase go to HD...

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I'm not sure where you're going with this. This thread is about a laptop(s), an ultra-thin laptop at that. One would expect the "optional at extra charge", add-ons to be rather limited.

You get what's behind door number 1, 2, or 3, door 4 is at the Dell website.

Leeky Leeky said:

You get what's behind door number 1, 2, or 3, door 4 is at the Dell website.

I get the guest's point..

Sometimes your not bothered about HDD size, but want high performance graphics and RAM instead. I've noticed with Apple you tend to be stuck with having to pay the premium increase for the GPU, and the HDD etc that comes with that.

Not knocking Apple, just saying it how it is.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Then Leeky, I'll tell you the same thing as I just told the guest. This is an ultrathin laptop, which by its very nature,wouldn't withstand the addition of a higher performance CPU, or graphics. It's been designed to the specs it has, partly because of heat and space issues. If you slap a Blu-ray drive, an Nvidia 460, and an extra storage HDD it, what's the likely hood it would remain about a 1/2 inch thick.

If you're looking for "clip and paste" hardware options in an Apple computer, then you need to look at their pro desktop line.

It is obvious captaincranky is the best haters here. A self-acclaimed genius knows everything. I always find him in every articles saying negative comments. Get a life, dont make techspot your world. Get out and made some real friends so that the negativity attitude of yours would disappear slowly. Life is good man.