Google sets new Internet traffic record, now at 6.4 percent

By on October 25, 2010, 2:16 PM
Google's properties have gained 1 percent of worldwide Internet traffic share since January (a new record). The search giant is now averaging at 6.4 percent of all Internet traffic, according to Arbor Networks. While Internet traffic continues to surge overall (by an estimate of between 40 to 45 percent each year), Google continues to grow faster than the average.

If Google was an Internet Service Provider (ISP), it would be the second largest in the world. Of course, Google accounts for a large percentage of the largest ISP's traffic as well. The dataset includes all of Google's properties, meaning it encompasses the video giant YouTube as well. The chart below shows Google's share of all worldwide traffic and its growth since the beginning of 2007 (Arbor Networks gets its data from over 110 ISPs from around the world):

Google's share grows even larger (to as much as 8 to 12 percent) if you include estimates of traffic offloaded by the increasingly common Google Global Cache (GGC) deployments and if you account for error due to the extremely high degree of Google edge peering in consumer networks. Google now has direct peering (not transit) with more than 70 percent of all providers around the world (an increase of 5 to 10 percent from last year), which means that traffic from Google websites has a direct path to the ISPs.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

lawfer: "Gee, Google, what do you want to do tonight?"

Google: "The same thing we do every night, lawfer---try to take over the world!"

stensland said:

I don't know if we should be concerned about how big Google is getting or congratulatory. Yes it's a huge milestone for the search provider, but at the same time it is quickly becoming a company that is "too big to fail." If they were to through some sort of black magic go south of the black and into the red would we be forced to bail them out just like the banks? I mean, no longer are they just a humble search provider, they are working on their own automobiles, operating system, and who knows what else.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@lawfer: "Do or do not, there is no try." Alarmists and those who have their aluminum foil hats say they're doing it, and a number of people can't live without it (so they say). =p

Serag said:

Didn't know about that bit of information before but I somehow assumed it to be a bit bigger percentage.

treeski treeski said:

I'm curious about who the runner-ups are. Are they anywhere near where Google is at, or are they a distant 2nd, 3rd, etc.?

poertner_1274 poertner_1274, secroF laicepS topShceT, said:

Very good question treeski. Do you have a guess as to who the runner up would be?

TridentCrash TridentCrash said:

I'll the the first person to volunteer to help the cause when Google finally takes over the world! =P

arod916 said:

If google had a pretty face and average to nice body I would marry her! Then again with so many people visiting her everyday I might catch something.

kaonis92 said:

Sooner or later the internet will be completely under their control. Google's success (in everything they get involved with!) is definite with that growth.

TeamworkGuy2 said:

This is a little off topic.

As far as I can remember their has yet to be an industrial company that tried to take over the world, maybe some have tried to take over a local infrastructure, but never the whole world.

On topic.

I agree with stensland. We should probably be more concerned about Google ever starting to go under.

Also, six percent does not seem that high, especially if I sit down and watch a family member browse the web. I would say more like twenty percent...!

StrctClubBouncr said:

I don't think Google TV will make a huge impact. No one even has an internet capable television yet.

princeton princeton said:

lawfer said:

lawfer: "Gee, Google, what do you want to do tonight?"

I was just watching Animaniacs as I opened this page. You made me laugh, thanks

Also the article has a flaw. Google offers the most advanced ISP service in the world.

I use it. It's bloody amazing, blistering fast too.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

princeton said:

I use it. It's bloody amazing, blistering fast too.

I LOL'ed

On another note, google is trying to buy wind mills on the easy shore somewhere to power their huge network facilities. Google will be providing its own power.. once its paid off.. free power, cant beat that.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

(shrugs) Google is the new Microsoft. In ten years it will be someone else turn.

whiteandnerdy said:

when you think about how many people use the internet every day...6.4% is a huge number.

ryan29121 said:

6% seems small considering how large google is. But then when you think how large the internet 6% may seem really big. Either way Google is a great company!

edison5do said:

Considering that I mostly use Chrome, and every time I turn the PC on google its on my screen... (internet its on my startups list), so im into the mix making them bigger and bigger so they can rule the world:!!!!! -laugh out loudly-!!.

6%, over almost 2 BILLIONS internet acount overthe world.. its HUGE (meaning that the traffic would be more than that that because not all the people that brouse the web has its own service).

Ahmed90 Ahmed90 said:

ryan29121 said:

it dose seem small thats because almost all google pages / content is small size (in KB) like gmail or even google videos its very basic and lite contents and pages

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

6.4 % is pretty amazing in and of itself with the near 2 billion people who are on the net. I love the reference to Pinky and the Brain on the first comment.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Google is currently my home page and has been for quite some time now (sorry techspot I usually come here first thing anyway) but I can say I must use google for at least 10% of all my internet use, lots of searching. Mostly just too lazy to enter in urls manualy now, but it adds up pretty fast. And I actually don't spend much time on YouTube.

rizalp said:

Amazing. Google is just amazing. I used many Google web apps, like Gmail, Reader, Youtube, and Search. And now, when Google Chrome is raising in popularity, we will see that the number is going to increase, again

Timonius Timonius said:

All your base are belong to Google!

UT66 said:

google is starting to annoy me. first the slow arse fading effect (great, now i have to wait to go to my "local" google) and now the " instant search is on" BS( most of the time it does more harm than good) whats next?

jazboy said:

I am thinking if anyone would have purchase minimum 100 share of Google 8 years back then how much profit he would have made by now..

I like Google very much because of their new ideas and innovation.

posermobile89 said:

I can't even begin to comprehend their massive amounts of server space and cpus and ram to have 6.4% of the internet traffic -mind blown-

kearnsy24 said:

Love it, more and more google gains power. Google is the wave of the future.

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

posermobile89 said:

Good point. Have they ever shown any of this to the public?

grimm808 said:

And then Google an Walmart collide and cause a big-bang theory, and our galaxy get's sucked into a void.

hassaan said:

Reminds me of a video I saw a few months back.

xanthic42 said:

Would be interesting to see how that much data breaks down into various subsets. Such as adsense vs search results(text vs image vs other) vs video files and whatnot.

xcelofjkl said:

Google's HUGE. 6% of the entire internet is nothing to scoff at.

starfreezer said:

I think Gmail has a good share of the cake too. I hear lots of positive things about it and I use it myself all the time during the day. And I guess it generates lots of traffic too with all that spam management

fritz123 said:

the growth of google is just mind blowing. to think handling that much of the internet's population is just astounds me. it looks like google's success comes with everything they get involved with. what's next? global domination? HAHA

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I do wonder what servers they use/ specs of the machines they use? I mean, thats alot of people accessing there servers and I know they must be pretty high spec, but there servers even have the capacity to run other stuff, I can't remember where I read it (may have been on a techspot weekend news read) but google dedicate server time for scientists etc... to work out complicated maths questions and run 6% of all bandwidth used on the internet?!

These server farms must be mind blowing to see! Let alone what ISP's they use to host there servers on!

samironsy said:

very nice Google keep on

buttus said:

I wonder how Bing is doing in comparrison to Google?

milford50 said:

Google might be the next USSR lol. Who knows ?

frodough said:

the rate android phones are popping out and the fore coming chrome tablet(?) their internet traffic share will only go up

oasis789 said:

judgement day is coming... wheres john connor when you need him?!?

sMILEY4ever said:

princeton said:

lawfer said:

lawfer: "Gee, Google, what do you want to do tonight?"

I was just watching Animaniacs as I opened this page. You made me laugh, thanks

I use it. It's bloody amazing, blistering fast too.

LOL

Anyways, congrats google for the 6%.

XnaX said:

Considering it's not just 'www.google.com', but ALL of Google's website properties, 6% seems kinda small to me..

Yoda8232 said:

They deserve it, there search engine has been the best for years. Hopefully they don't change it too much as they are starting to change it recently. If there is a Skynet coming, I see Google all over it haha.

akannitaoheed said:

Just another Microsoft in the making I can tell. Just watch out for GOOGLE O/S. Its going to be amazing isn't it?