Google sets new Internet traffic record, now at 6.4 percent

Emil

Staff

Google's properties have gained 1 percent of worldwide Internet traffic share since January (a new record). The search giant is now averaging at 6.4 percent of all Internet traffic, according to Arbor Networks. While Internet traffic continues to surge overall (by an estimate of between 40 to 45 percent each year), Google continues to grow faster than the average.

If Google was an Internet Service Provider (ISP), it would be the second largest in the world. Of course, Google accounts for a large percentage of the largest ISP's traffic as well. The dataset includes all of Google's properties, meaning it encompasses the video giant YouTube as well. The chart below shows Google's share of all worldwide traffic and its growth since the beginning of 2007 (Arbor Networks gets its data from over 110 ISPs from around the world):

Google's share grows even larger (to as much as 8 to 12 percent) if you include estimates of traffic offloaded by the increasingly common Google Global Cache (GGC) deployments and if you account for error due to the extremely high degree of Google edge peering in consumer networks. Google now has direct peering (not transit) with more than 70 percent of all providers around the world (an increase of 5 to 10 percent from last year), which means that traffic from Google websites has a direct path to the ISPs.

Permalink to story.

lawfer: "Gee, Google, what do you want to do tonight?"

Google: "The same thing we do every night, lawfer—try to take over the world!"

I don't know if we should be concerned about how big Google is getting or congratulatory. Yes it's a huge milestone for the search provider, but at the same time it is quickly becoming a company that is "too big to fail." If they were to through some sort of black magic go south of the black and into the red would we be forced to bail them out just like the banks? I mean, no longer are they just a humble search provider, they are working on their own automobiles, operating system, and who knows what else.

@lawfer: "Do or do not, there is no try." Alarmists and those who have their aluminum foil hats say they're doing it, and a number of people can't live without it (so they say). =p

Didn't know about that bit of information before but I somehow assumed it to be a bit bigger percentage.

I'm curious about who the runner-ups are. Are they anywhere near where Google is at, or are they a distant 2nd, 3rd, etc.?

If google had a pretty face and average to nice body I would marry her! Then again with so many people visiting her everyday I might catch something.

Sooner or later the internet will be completely under their control. Google's success (in everything they get involved with!) is definite with that growth.

This is a little off topic.
As far as I can remember their has yet to be an industrial company that tried to take over the world, maybe some have tried to take over a local infrastructure, but never the whole world.

On topic.
I agree with stensland. We should probably be more concerned about Google ever starting to go under.
Also, six percent does not seem that high, especially if I sit down and watch a family member browse the web. I would say more like twenty percent...!

lawfer said:
lawfer: "Gee, Google, what do you want to do tonight?"

Google: "The same thing we do every night, lawfer—try to take over the world!"

I was just watching Animaniacs as I opened this page. You made me laugh, thanks :)

Also the article has a flaw. Google offers the most advanced ISP service in the world.

http://www.google.com/tisp/

I use it. It's bloody amazing, blistering fast too.

princeton said:
Also the article has a flaw. Google offers the most advanced ISP service in the world.

http://www.google.com/tisp/

I use it. It's bloody amazing, blistering fast too.

I LOL'ed

On another note, google is trying to buy wind mills on the easy shore somewhere to power their huge network facilities. Google will be providing its own power.. once its paid off.. free power, cant beat that.

6% seems small considering how large google is. But then when you think how large the internet 6% may seem really big. Either way Google is a great company!

Considering that I mostly use Chrome, and every time I turn the PC on google its on my screen... (internet its on my startups list), so im into the mix making them bigger and bigger so they can rule the world:!!!!! -laugh out loudly-!!.

6%, over almost 2 BILLIONS internet acount overthe world.. its HUGE (meaning that the traffic would be more than that that because not all the people that brouse the web has its own service).

ryan29121 said:
6% seems small considering how large google is. But then when you think how large the internet 6% may seem really big. Either way Google is a great company!

it dose seem small thats because almost all google pages / content is small size (in KB) like gmail or even google videos its very basic and lite contents and pages

6.4 % is pretty amazing in and of itself with the near 2 billion people who are on the net. I love the reference to Pinky and the Brain on the first comment.

Google is currently my home page and has been for quite some time now (sorry techspot I usually come here first thing anyway) but I can say I must use google for at least 10% of all my internet use, lots of searching. Mostly just too lazy to enter in urls manualy now, but it adds up pretty fast. And I actually don't spend much time on YouTube.

Amazing. Google is just amazing. I used many Google web apps, like Gmail, Reader, Youtube, and Search. And now, when Google Chrome is raising in popularity, we will see that the number is going to increase, again

google is starting to annoy me. first the slow arse fading effect (great, now i have to wait to go to my "local" google) and now the " instant search is on" BS( most of the time it does more harm than good) whats next?

Back