Microsoft: buy Windows 7, get a free portable 500GB HDD

By on October 28, 2010, 8:51 PM
While browsing around on Microsoft.com we stumbled on a deal posted on the Microsoft Store. If you buy a copy of Windows 7 Professional Upgrade, which costs $200, Microsoft will throw in a portable black Seagate FreeAgent Go 500GB hard drive. For those interested, the dimensions are 3.15 x 5.12 x 0.49 inches (80.01 x 130.04 x 12.44 mm), the weight is 0.35 pounds (158.75 g), and the transfer rate goes up to 480Mbps.

Separately, the Microsoft Store is offering a $150 discount on select PCs to those who purchase the $150 Windows 7 Family Pack. The pack lets you upgrade three PCs to Windows 7 Home Premium, but Microsoft only makes it available for limited amounts of time.

Microsoft also announced today that the Windows 7 Family Pack is now available (or will be in the coming weeks) in 46 countries: Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Korea, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, UK, Ukraine, and the United Arab Emirates.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hmmm free hard drive huh sounds like a good way to bring in new customers alot of people still have less space on there computers than this 500GB HD.

KG363 KG363 said:

500GB? That's quite a deal

crzydave said:

the question is it 7200 rpm?

Cryptopsy said:

Oh great news, I was planning to buy Windows 7 this weekend Free portable HDD for the win!

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

how many people need Professional? join the domain at your house i suppose? lol

jazboy said:

This is good deal. But what about those people who were one of those people ppl who tried it first. I am die hard fan of window and upgraded my OS from Vista to windows 7 ultimate, as soon as it came to market. But with this i don't know how should i feel. As a consolation i can just think that i got almost one year extra to use it compare to people who are going to buy now.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

These drives come with 2 oompaloompa's spinning your 500gb platter at a whopping 5rpm.

Malner said:

Slovenia is in EU and we can't buy Windows 7 Family Pack. Why are we left behind?

highlander84 said:

Good way to get people to buy it. For me a 500Gb is nothing fancy. But its almost enough reason to get me to buy it... Then again I like XP more than a free 500BG HD. Ill stick with what I have

sMILEY4ever said:

malner said:

You can either move to another country or just wait some more.

The free 500GB is a good move.

Razerblade said:

What about the free hard drive in the EU? Microsoft have had a good idea but think of how many people have already bought windows 7! Wish they had done this at release as I would have gone for that!

Brodieeee said:

Already got Win7 Might have to talk someone into buying it and ask kindly for the HDD

uttaradhaka said:

I thinks a professional is about 50 bucks more expensive than the Home Premium. So, even if I was a home user, I would spend the extra 50 bucks and get the professional. Come on, 50 dollars for a 500 GB hard disk? Thats awesome.

Microsoft is looking to accelerate the sails of Windows 7 right now, because there are only two years left until Windows 8. And the sooner people buy Windows 7, the sooner they'll jump ship with windows 8. I'll stick to Windows 7 though, unless Windows 8 is something special.

haha...seagate

Rage_3K_Moiz Rage_3K_Moiz, Sith Lord, said:

Nice! First the "$30 Home Premium for students" deal, and now this!

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

This would be a great deal if it was just for plain old Windows 7, not the Professional version. Non-the-less, there will be a lot of happy upgraders

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Nice deal. But I wish the student deals came back.

brianmsu said:

this would definitely get me to buy windows7 if i didn't already have it.

i think its a great move, people love their portable hard drives...

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Crap... I will just spend less than half of it and get a 500gb hdd myself :P

tehbanz tehbanz said:

Microsoft should go back and give all it's loyal users who switched on day 1 500 gb externals too

flocka said:

why would you even want "home" version.....

treeski treeski said:

This is a sweet deal. I've been trying to find someone to take advantage of it, but most people I know have already upgrade or *gasp* are Mac users

Neojt said:

The problem is that its an upgrade(i can live with that) and of course NOT AVAILABLE TO CANADIANS again....

ional10 said:

That's not a bad deal at all! However, if there are any uni students like myself, you can buy the win 7 professional upgrade version for 30usd!! Nevertheless, a free portable hdd would be really useful. I'm hoping it's 7200rpm, rather than a 5400rpm one =D

peteyhawkins said:

Free 500gb is cool although i think the majority of people would just like $60 off the price instead? I've no longer to pay for windows software since upgrading to a macbook pro last week, it feels good that when os x lion is released it will only cost me like £30-40

Jibberish18 said:

That's cool and all but hop onto Newegg and you can get a System Builders OEM Professional Copy + The same 500 GB SeaGate External HD for about the same price.

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

crzydave said:

the question is it 7200 rpm?

Why is THAT *the* question?

frodough said:

the 500gb freeagent go is about $100 so $100 for the w7 pro upgrade, it's not bad if you need both.

Puiu Puiu said:

It's a great deal and a very good way to make undecided people decide whether to buy it or not. Fortunately i already have my copy of win7 from collage for free.

kazarm said:

Only usefull if you really needs both. The windows 7 pre-order offer was better. In Europe you could get the full retail version for £99.

poertner_1274 poertner_1274, secroF laicepS topShceT, said:

I've been debating on upgrading. This just might push me over the top. I'll have to ponder this some more. However I already have a few portable drives. And I might be more inclined to get the Family pack, as I could update at least 2 computers, and sell the third to a family member. What to do?!?

xcelofjkl said:

Only available in US? hmph.

hitech0101 said:

This move has been made in a strategic way now everyone probably has already upgraded to win 7 for those who still haven't its probably to attract those guys.This also seems a bit unfair to the existing win 7 users.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

malner said:

The EU really does not like Microsoft, I hardly expect them to return the favor.

IkarugaShiver said:

"The pack lets you upgrade three PCs to Windows 7 Home Premium, but Microsoft only makes it available for limited amounts of time. "

What is this even supposed to mean...? I hope it means that the product itself is only available for a limited time, amirite? Or is it... the actual OS itself needs to be activated within a certain time period? Or... heaven forbid, that the OS will only be activated for a certain time? O_O

princeton princeton said:

peteyhawkins said:

It feels good to know a $400 desktop is still faster than your $1500 macbook. Enjoy your pretend world where you think your saving money, NEWSFLASH! Your not.

ruzveh said:

When will a 2TB portable HDD come in at under $100

IanDSamson said:

What about South Africa? Don't we count? We have the highest number of licensed Microsoft applications and operating systems on the continent of Africa, yet our country is omitted from the list for Family Packs and "free" 500GB HDDs? Come on, Microsoft, get your act together.

miggypublic said:

It's quite a good deal if you have tons of media, but it would be best if they lowered the price of Win7 instead of offering a freebie

scout2of3 said:

It seems that I always purchase a product just before a deal like this or after the deal is over and just before the next deal. Can't seem to catch a break.

pyari said:

I never used vista....how I upgrade it.....

DarKSeeD DarKSeeD said:

Since it's almost everywhere but not in EU I don't see how it's a deal

Don't think it exceeds 5400rpm. Also can't find the buffer size and other specifications.

akannitaoheed said:

I knew at the back of my mind Nigeria will most likely not be on the list. Though not planning any upgrades for now but the 500GB could have been quite tempting if it's anything above 5400rpm.

bam13 said:

What a deal! The only question is how many people really need a professional edition...

eeprom said:

definitely buy it if it's 7200rpm!

rattlertech said:

Humm that has me tempted to buy Win7 ... almost

buttus said:

This is a great deal. It wouldn't make me buy WIndows 7, but it is definately a nice little added bonus.

For a power user the additional control that comes with Pro over HP is worth the extra without the free kit

Full access to Group policy plus XP mode are two to start with

kaonis92 said:

Why don't just lower the price! Instead of nothing though that was a good marketing move from M$.