Microsoft announces record $16.2 billion revenue

By on October 28, 2010, 5:46 PM
Microsoft has posted a record high $16.2 billion revenue with a profit of $5.41 billion for its fiscal 2011 first quarter ending September 30. That's an increase of 25% from the same period last year. "This was an exceptional quarter, combining solid enterprise growth and continued strong consumer demand for Office 2010, Windows 7, and Xbox 360 consoles and games," said Microsoft CFO Peter Klein. In fact, the company reported yearly growth across all business segments.

During the summer quarter, Microsoft saw a 15% growth in revenue from Office 2010, which hit stores in June. Meanwhile, the Xbox 360 grew 38%, outselling competing consoles for four consecutive months, and Bing continued to gain ground -- not least because of Redmond's partnership with Yahoo. Microsoft also noted that it witnessed a "healthy and sustaining business PC refresh cycle," with companies steadily adopting Windows 7, Office 2010 and other software products.

ColdFusion1990 ColdFusion1990 said:

Developers, developers, developers

lipe123 said:

Windows 7 ftw I guess.

dawgtothebone said:

I just got office 2007 a few months ago on my personal computer......healthy and sustaining business pc refresh cycle..*cough cough* :p

elroacho72 said:

I did not add to Microsoft's earnings because Tech-Spot alerted me of "The New Efficiency Program" of Microsoft.... So got got my copy of Ultimate W7 for free. Cool beans I know.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Look at the picture, now imagine that what he's saying is: "We are 'not' evil."

Hmmm...

KG363 KG363 said:

Maybe now they can pour more resources into Zune and PC gaming

princeton princeton said:

Man. I bet if you go to 4chan that pic has so many different captions.

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wow they are doing exceptionally well are they not.

Afroaggie said:

lipe123 said:

Windows 7 ftw I guess.

I have to agree it just seems to be a little to flashy for my liking, but I can see how people who use the internet search engine as something to do could enjoy the extra feature set that comes along with it.

Zoner1501 Zoner1501 said:

lawfer said:

Look at the picture, now imagine that what he's saying is: "We are 'not' evil."

Hmmm...

I see him as doing the "Little Bunny Foo-Foo" Song

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

PC gaming for the win baby

Lurker101 said:

THat might be all well and good, but they've ruined their own IM client

peteyhawkins said:

Why is it 2010 is literally just out on the pc, microsofts platform, yet office 2011 is out already for mac, and looks even better aethetically

ceejay949 said:

I salute Microsoft for the Windows 7. They really did a good job.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

elroacho72 said:

Dito. It was nice to get it before everybody else too, albeit by only about two weeks.

xcelofjkl said:

$5 Billion Profit... Wow... That'll make your momma proud.

Zecias said:

bing isn't bad, but i can't find any reason to switch from google.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Microsoft has one big hit on there hands windows 7 is amazing and windows 8 is 2 years away all is good from the M$ camp.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

peteyhawkins said:

It's a matter of product cycles. Historically Mac versions of the Microsoft Office software (at least ones with a year as part of their title) have been released a year after the Windows version (or at least named for the year after the original windows release). This has been true since Office 97/98 and if anything, helps separate the two different versions of Office. As for aesthetics, it basically is the same except it is in OSX colors and fonts (and I guess because of the menu bar you have a built in "classic" mode).

jazboy said:

The major portion on profit contributed by Window 7. Microsoft is such a big company with lot of products in market. But there major portion of profit is still comes from OS. Windows 7 is huge hit that caused Microsoft to post strong profit this year.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Despite these figures, I think MS needs to succeed in mobile space and constantly reinvent itself according to market trends, to ensure that its long term future is bright.

Another thing which IMO MS needs to look is enormous complexity of existing windows OS, and perhaps start thinking of revamping it in order to make it more efficient, less of a resource hog, and provide best possible experience to users.

sMILEY4ever said:

Archean said:

, do they not have Windows 7/office? They're quite ok w/o more stuff.

63Jax said:

they can invest some money in to pc gaming now and don't let it die, rich bastards

SSaywell said:

"Windows 7 was my idea" I feel that part of that money is mine to be honest.

cardriverx said:

"I honestly still dont get the whole Bing deal, I've used it a few times and found google to be much more effective. "

Agreed, I tried to use bing, and I just couldn't stick with it.

flocka said:

Wonder how it feels to wake up in the morning knowing you made not $1 billion, but $16 billion dollars for the year

treeski treeski said:

For the most part my University completely skipped Vista and Office 2007, but I've been noticing 7 and 2010 on a number of computers across campus.

ReMonster said:

This is largely due to the success of Windows 7 and office 2007/2010. Instead of people installing their previously owned copy of xp they are purchasing new licenses of windows 7. On the other hand, im not sure how bing is working out for them...

frodough said:

it wont be hard to believe this time next year they will break the record again considering WP7 come crashing down on the competitions in weeks if not days.

thedrelle said:

I am amazed at how in-tune Microsoft is with their customer base. Windows 7 addressed all the issues of Vista, Xbox has become THE gaming platform, (this coming from a Nintendo fanboy) and Windows 7 mobile is going to slay. the only reason Bing isn't very successful is because there is no competing with Google.

buttus said:

Ya. Microsoft needed to make "more" money. Which country are they planning on buying anyways?

Se7enVII said:

People keep saying Microsoft is dying yet they post record high revenues. Microsoft isn't nearly as hyped up as Apple image/stock-wise but I think they are on the right track. Guess we'll have to wait til Windows 8 to see if they really are though.

princeton princeton said:

I tried bing but I just prefer google. THOUGH, bing maps is far ahead of google maps. The pictures around my area were taken in the fall so i can see bike routes through the forests. And it has the neat birds eye view.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Microsoft isn't nearly as hyped up as Apple image/stock-wise

Agreed, remember Apple being on the roll for a while, but nothing lasts forever.

Windows 7 mobile is going to slay

Not yet, I think it will, the new interface seems much more slicker and classy when compared with iOS; but not yet, they need at least 1-2 years to improve/complete missing parts of the OS.

gayfish said:

i still thing Bing has done tremendous job.

you cant deny Google too have copied them.background image,airfare and bits of all aesthetic issues..i cant give you the list but come on --hold on the baby..its good for competition...

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

They have, my hypothesis is that most people use Goolge out of habit not that it is considerably better; and habits take time to change.

AbsolutGaloot said:

So, why exactly then did they need to up the Live Gold membership price if they're doing so well?

jobeard jobeard, TS Ambassador, said:

Microsoft seems committed to Bing and other online initiatives, despite its Online Services division marking a $560 million quarterly loss.

The loss comes despite an increase in overall division revenue. It means, basically, that Microsoft is willing to burn through the equivalent of a small coun

see the original story

silvershad0w said:

im not a microsoft fan.. however, i do have a job because windows breaks so much. i think steve balmer is insane and cannot understand how a man of his size can run around screaming and jumping that long in front of thousands of people and not collapse from fatigue. anyways, i've been seeing windows 7 deployed mainly on servers rather than desktops but some of our clients have been doing an entire refresh of their organization and deploying windows 7 to everyone. it is nice to see people moving from their beloved windows xp after such a long time. i have to agree that it would be nice to see microsoft pouring more efforts into developing for the PC. EA holds the crown right now and i think a bit of competition for EA would be nice coming from Microsoft and may just produce some great new titles from both of them.