Download of the Week: PC Decrapifier

By on October 29, 2010, 1:40 PM
For years, computer makers have managed to pull in a few extra bucks of profit out of each sale by bundling all sorts of third-party software with their machines. Commonly referred to as bloatware or crapware, these programs include everything from 30-day anti-virus trials, to needlessly complicated media applications and the always-annoying browser toolbar. At the end of the day it doesnít matter if itís a bad product or not, you simply didnít ask for it and yet itís there using up space, making your system to boot slower than it should or simply getting in the way.

If youíve ever spent hours cleaning up your (or probably your friends and familyís) newly bought computer to get it up and running in tip-top shape, then the aptly named PC Decrapifier might be of some help. This 1.3MB, no-installation utility is designed to clean off, in an unattended fashion, most of the annoying software that is typically shipped with new PCs. Simply download and run the file, after which you will be guided through the process with a "wizard" style series of questions. Just pick and choose what you want to remove and PC Decrapifier will handle the rest.

You can find a list of programs that PC Decrapifier removes on the developerís website. A little word of advice, if there's a program you don't think you want but don't quite recognize, be sure to do a quick Google search before wiping it off so you donít end up with a non-functioning Blu-ray drive or any random error messages. PC Decrapifier works with XP, Vista and Windows 7 systems, is free for personal use and can be downloaded here.

mpribe said:

Just what I've been looking for! Excellent.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This is a great tool. This is like CCleaner's illegitimate son.

I wished I had this when I bought my laptop 5 months ago, it would have made things much more easier. Lucky for me, I'm a techie, but I know if my girlfriend had bought my laptop (or any for that matter), she would still have all the bloatware and crappy toolbars that come pre-installed. Not to mention the horrendous McAfee.

tacobfm said:

LOL this is amazing. I have to admit they do put crapware on new computers

Jibberish18 said:

Now this might be useful. I mean, I have no problem removing all of the crap myself but something that can do it automatically? Couple this with CCleaner and Auslogics Disk Defrag and you have win.

drasho said:

This will be usefull next time one of my friends buy a laptop.. gonna save me some time =P. And i love the name ahah

highlander84 said:

yeah I wish I had been paid for all the time i spend takeing crap off computers... man this will be a god send!

Jibberish18 said:

highlander84 said:

But you have to admit, removing all that crapware manually has some sort of satisfaction to it. If crapware had flesh, you'd be slicing it down with a big sword. There's something awfully chivalrous about that.

Neojt said:

LoL Love the name of the app!!

could be pretty usefull for all the PC's that come trough my office to get ready for use

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

This is great - I think I'll keep it on my thumb drive for whenever my friends/family ask me to look at their machines. I hope it actually does a good job of removing Norton.

frodough said:

i use CCleaner and Revo uninstaller both are on every machine i built, love them!

sMILEY4ever said:

I might actually use this on some pc's even though it's not really that impressive.

customcarvin customcarvin said:

HAHA is like a colonoscopy / colon cleansing for your pc.

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

Oh man, it hurts so bad to see that demo photo with NIS and Live update unchecked.

why? WHY?!

Serag said:

haha the name is a win, great tool to add on my friend/family help usb stick.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

NIS is a pain, and it comes with every software nowadays... I totally hate it. Seems like a nice tool, I just go and uninstall one by one so I dont mess anything up or erase a program I actually use without knowing.

ChrisG683 said:

Oh the joys of building your own computer, don't have to deal with that

But man I could have really used this when I used to buy my computers from Dell!

thedrelle said:

Atch, where were you when i bought my laptop 2 months ago? I spent hours cleaning that crap off.

kevin1212 said:

Nice little piece of software. I love techspot for pointing out these usefull apps.

motrin said:

when i bot my notebook.. i spent 10 mins booting it up and another 40 removing all that crapware. i'm bookmarking this for future use!

peteyhawkins said:

Everytime ive ever bought a laptop i've just reinstalled windows from the get go! this tool would have saved soo much time! Im on a mac now though, so i dont get any of that crap

Se7enVII said:

This should be very useful for when I'm working on peoples computers. I always delete all the crapware right when I get onto peoples computers (with their permission of course) but never thought to look for a program that does specifically that.

n00bzZy said:

Sounds useful, will surely use on this on my next laptop purchase. And relatives' comps

AllEyezOnMe said:

PC ethic cleansing all-in-1

rizalp said:

I haven't using this tool yet. But i'll keep it in mind. Usually, when i bought new PC, i just uninstall the cra[ware.

maestromasada said:

doesn't appwiz.cpl does the same job? it sounds good though to have a proper crap killer at hand

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This will save tons of time and could be a great app for anyone. I work on computers all the time and i hate i repeat hate the crap most people put on there computer.

hiptech hiptech said:

Just one question, does it clean/remove the associated registry entries too?

kearnsy24 said:

I think I'll add this to my flashdrive with my other pc utilities. Virus scans, office, boot stuff, and this for sure now.

princeton princeton said:

Just got it for when family members decide to go and buy a new PC that comes with the amazing Free MS office trial and the godlike norton antivirus protection center.

miska_man said:

Jibberish18 said:

highlander84 said:

That's so true. I recently acquired a laptop that had a destroyed hard drive. Popped a new one in with a fresh install on Windows 7 and I was amazed at how clean and simple it was. I almost didn't like it.

But the name of the program is awesome!

oasis789 said:

i love the neologism decrapifier. its so apt for all the crap and bloatware u get on dell and hp and what have you.

omega00 said:

It looks interesting. I will definitely give it a try this weekend. Thanks!

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

Where has this been all my computer-oriented life! Someone said earlier that this is very handy when working on other people's computers, most likely due to the fact that they are unaware of what they have in their little chip boxes.

hitech0101 said:

Great download this one focuses on cleaning those files which other cleaners fail to clean.

seefizzle said:

My bootleg copy of windows didn't have any bloatware. It's nice.

m0nty said:

Jibberish18 said:

highlander84 said:

yeah I wish I had been paid for all the time i spend taking crap off computers... man this will be a god send!

i don't find satisfaction in it, it's 2 or 3 hours out of my day removing all the crap from a brand new machine and setting it up to how it should be, that's 2 - 3 hrs that i could have spent doing something more productive or spending quality time with my nephew and family. it shouldn't be necessary on a brand new machine.

I don't know about you, but i'm tired of walkin into stores to buy a new laptop to find the prices hiked up because they come with an operating system pre-installed & the store won't sell you it minus the o/s. i have about 12 OEM recovery discs with windows vista or windows 7, i don't want them, i don't use them, but i am forced to buy them with the machine.

I use Linux, my 12yr old nephew uses linux, in fact my whole family is pretty much using linux (yes i'm responsible for that). why can't we just buy a laptop at reduced priced with NO o/s installed if that's what we want? instead of the stores telling us what we want!

lyladeeasperin said:

Wow! This should help me clean up my Aunt's PC! I will try the PC Decrapifier 2.2.5 soon!

jurrasstoil said:

The list on their website isn't all that long tbh.

But if it removes all that Roxio stuff its well worth it. Had a ton of Roxio stuff preinstalled on a laptop once and it took me like 2 hours to get rid of all the programs and processes...

fritz123 said:

i laughed at the software name. ima download it right now, idk why manufacturers pre install so much unwanted applications and toolbars, thinking it would add to the machine's functionality. had to figure out how to take off these stuff without deleting essential drivers and files. at times its hard to recognize whether these programs are important or not. good tool. ima test it out and let you guys know how it goes

fritz123 said:

tflazio said:

epic name for epic software... gonna try soon

Colonel Lance said:

I didn't even know a program like this existed, but I have dreamed of one. I wish I had this a dew weeks ago when I set up my mother's newly bought laptop, would have saved me a lot of time.

pyari said:

wow its a great tools for me and for my daily works. I badly need sucha tools.

Frostback said:

I'll have to use this on my father in law's computer.

Timonius Timonius said:

Just checked it out. I'll have to remember it for new pre-built computers and all their crapware.

DarKSeeD DarKSeeD said:

Lol, nothing to remove on a XP installed 5 years ago. Anyway I'll further test this app on a brand new laptop to see if it finds anything (it came with Vista pre-installed and I presume it has many unnecessary programs).

Razerblade said:

This is a very useful tool. The amount of crap they put on new computers is so annoying. It is the first this I remove when I am on a new pc. This tool makes it so much easier.

zogo said:

In my experience, the more use of third-party software the more crapy your PC becomes. Afterall, I think I will try this one and see how good decrapifier it is

After you've rid yourself from the crapware they want to burden your PC with, you can optionally jump to ninite.com to pick the necessary (mostly freeware) software you do want.

Brilliant after a fresh windows install.

(I am not in any way affiliated with, nor do I receive any monentary or other gains from ninite)

FransB said: