Logitech unveils wireless solar keyboard, the K750

By on November 1, 2010, 8:00 AM
Logitech has unveiled an innovative new keyboard peripheral that does away with batteries by relying on solar power instead, charging itself whenever there is light, and can reportedly live up to 3 months in complete darkness without going dry. The Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 features two solar panels along the top, which can be charged from either sunlight or an indoor lamp, and has a lifetime of around 15 years before any degradation in performance occurs.

According to the company’s press release information, the included solar power app (available for download beginning November 15, 2010) features a lux meter to help you get the necessary light, makes it easy to get at-a-glance information about battery levels, and even alerts you when you need more power. Check out the painfully cheesy video below:

As you can see the solar panels haven't come about at the expense of design. At just around 0.28 inches thick this is one of Logitech’s thinnest keyboards and it uses 'chiclet' keys with a unique contour made to be comfortable when hands are at rest. It is also compatible with the company’s Unifying system, the tiny 2.4 GHz wireless receiver that can handle up to six devices at a time, meaning you'll only use a single one of your computer’s USB ports.

The Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 is compatible with Windows and Mac OS X systems, though the model being announced today uses a Windows key configuration -- Logitech hasn't ruled out selling a Mac-oriented model though. The device will ship later this month in the U.S. and Europe for $80.

brianmsu said:

I have a logitech keyboard that I splurged for with giftcards a few years back. It needs upgrading but with the price of keyboards, it looks like it will never happen!, but maybe I should tone down my expectations from my keyboard.

Anyway, this solar keyboard reminded me of my keyboard and now the batteries are dying.... for the first time in 2 years. Power isn't something I'm worried about.

ryan29121 said:

Seems like a cool new style of keyboards. I never like wireless anything, because of replacing batteries. This one has the feature of being wireless and never having to add batteries. Seems like a win win.

Elitassj4 said:

Yeah...is a cool keyboard...now you can steal it much faster, and no wires to get tangled in.

fritz123 said:

looks like a very good device. but i think 15 years is more than enough for a keyboard. i doubt anyone will use it for that long without replacing it. i like the unifying system cos i have a lot of usb devices plugged into my computer at one time. now they just have to make a solar mouse. HAHA

buttus said:

This is pretty cool actually. A solar powered wireless keyboard which will (supposedly) last for 15 years before a replacement is needed. This is what I call green tech. Think of how many keyboards purchasing this device would save from the garbage heaps of the world?

grvalderrama said:

Damn brilliant idea... Logitech is kinda expensive though. I wonder what are they going to come up with in the future. What wouldn't be such a great idea, is to buy one of these when my niece and nephew are around all the time... imagine the look of the keyboard all spilled with nesquick. xD

peterbezemer said:

that's brilliant! the only reason i don't have a wireless keyboard is because i hate changing the batteries.

co1rpal1 said:

finally, brilliant and simple idea. Actually useful and something I would consider buying.

taea00 said:

This sounds like a great idea. It's competitively priced for a wireless keyboard, you never have to worry about batteries which can be a pain, and the keyboard is pretty stylish. I really like the look of it and how thin it is. I haven't needed a keyboard in a long time, but this keyboard is actually making me think I should plop down the $80 for one. While 15 years seems optimistic, I've had nothing but good luck with Logitech products, so if it can make it 15+ years kudos. I'd be happy if the keyboard made it 5-10 years.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Considering how much energy is wasted in office buildings, trying to channel some of that into charging electrical items is a good concept.

jenifleo said:

This sounds awesome. I would definitely pay the extra money for this. Next update for this keyboard should be bluetooth compatible. Maybe share some of this technology with apple so I can have one for home use.

edison5do said:

WhatÂ's up with this.? are you going to take out your Keyboard for recharge... they should be working on a SOLAR LAPTOP instead of stand alone keyboard. my thinking

zogo said:

Finaly, no more batteries It's cheap too. I'll get one for myself as soon as it gets in my country. And solar laptop is nice solution. They can put the solar panels on the lid. It will be practical and nice looking at the same time

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Conceptually it seems to be a brilliant idea; however, as this thing would be used 'indoors' (mostly); I'd rather like to see how much 'light' it required to be operative; and do the cost-to-benefit ratio results in net energy saving or is it just another fad for the eco-mentalist camp.

Storagebox said:

does an lcd screen put out enough light to charge it?? lol cause i tend to play in a dark room XD

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Forget it - as I saw the "has chicklet keys," I stopped reading. I haven't seen one of those since the Commodore 64 days. BTW - exactly how much power does a wireless keyboard draw? Enough to really bother (plus shell out $80) for a novelty keyboard like this?

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Exactly the point I raised about its power usage Tom, personally I've liked Razor Lycosa more, so if I ever decided to buy an expensive keyboard it will be something like that.

spyx said:

YES this can go perfectly with my new all-in-one i bought.....(it doesnt come with a keyboard) so this is awesome....

Scshadow said:

Well, its interesting enough I'd buy it if I had money to blow. I'm just not too sure solar powered is a good idea. Who doesn't move their desktops away from windows to avoid glare? But its not like keyboards require much power so its probably fine.

spyx said:

As you said it does reequire very little power....and probably even that lighting from the computer or desk light or anything can give it alteast some power

vastelectron said:

I think the $80 price tag big high perhaps lower it to $60 for the current economy. I would love to have this same solar technology for my cell phone. This is a great idea.

thaddio said:

what happens if you're in a room that barely light?? or a basement?

thedrelle said:

put it outside when your not using it? it did say it can hold a charge for over 3 months...

I really like this idea, Batteries drive me nuts. Let me know when they make a mouse with a kinetic-charging system.

treeski treeski said:

Haha that was a very cheesy video. This is a really fantastic idea and it looks like they've put everything together without any downsides. $80 is a little pricey, but when you take into account the fact that you never need replaceable batteries or any kind of charging station... I'm sure it pays off nicely.

Kudos to Logitech for this one.

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

First thought when watching the video; imagine misplacing that little USB-transmittor... Really easy to plug in, nearly impossible to unplug.

Imagine how it would be like if, say... airports, started using this keyboard? Some electricity saved, and tonnes of praises from the IT-dep. that no keyboard will recieve another's signals... would really ruin my day if I ended up somewhere random...

dustin_ds3000 dustin_ds3000, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

that is cool, its not to bad for $80 i might buy one.

rebelinhyd said:

now thats an awesome product!! going wireless always came with the pain of replacing batteries or charging them!!this is the way to go!!

omega00 said:

That's a brilliant solution by Logitech... and it's great for the environment, fewer batteries in landfills. I'm a bit surprised a product like this hadn't come sooner. It's still a bit on the pricey side, but the concept is heading in the right direction.

Now, if only Logitech could incorporate the use of solar power into their mouses, then that would be something worth celebrating. I stopped using my wireless mouse and went back to my corded mouse, because the batteries died way too often.

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

storagebox said:

Yea I was wondering the same thing. I currently have to MX 3200 mouse and keyboard, and the keyboard runs on 4 AAs. I rarely ever change the batteries in it, maybe every 6 months or longer. What I'm saying is that my mouse goes thru batteries faster than my keyboard so when is the solar mouse coming?

bakape said:

The video is agreeably very cheese to the point of ridiculousness. One thing is doing that for comedy, like Ashens or so, but in this case it just seems pathetic, or is it a blend of humour beyond my feeble comprehension...hmm.

That aside, I never understood why would one want a keyboard for $80 or so, when you can get a cheap one for about 6, or a wireless for twice as much? I've been using my Acme for many years, with no quality implications, so I don't really see a point in paying extra for branding and perhaps a few extra keys.

Johny47 said:

I have a basic Logitech PS/2 keyboard and I never liked wireless keyboard/mice etc because of the 'fuss' of charging them all the time but this is very cool so 'way to go' Logitech =)

If the price is nice aswell I'll get one.

crzydave said:

That actually sounds pretty sick. I wonder if in the future they will start incorporating this technology into their game peripherals.

tonylukac said:

Complexity is on my mind today. Seems too complex. Still find my generic $3 keyboard to be the best I ever owned.

bakape said:

My point exactly

sMILEY4ever said:

As soon as my current keyboard gets fried, I'm going to buy this. I avoid wireless stuff due to batteries but solar energy is win.

killamoves said:

I would buy one of these if it wasn't so expensive. It's a very good green idea.

Neojt said:

I bought a logitech Illluminated keybord and its the best investement i ever made

the feal is awsome and since its so heavy it dosent move.

But seriously a solar keybord. Who has a computer where there's alot of dayslight !

I prefer Seeing something in my screen better than having a solar charging capabilities!!!

hassaan said:

It works on ambient light I read at some other forum. Ambient light means the excess light that is bouncing around in a room! NOT NATURAL LIGHT!! If there's enough light for you too see / read a book, then it's considered ambient light!

Pretty neat I must admit. Waiting for an actual review.

mpribe said:

And we move one step closer to the union of couch, TV and desktop computer. Now Logitech needs to stick a trackball on the side of this thing.

Flipcharm said:

Brilliant piece of hardware.

Can't wait to buy it and ditch my current wireless keyboard (also Logitech).

But the solar mouse, guys, come on, show us the solar mouse!

alexandrionel said:

Indeed nice piece of hardware but 80 $ for a keyboard it's way to much. Plus, who keeps a keyboard for 15 years? I think I changed 3 keyboards in 9 years.

neowing said:

The post states that it is "the solar Power" but I think the hardware keep advance to the next generation too early. What I am worried: How long Solar panel will keep hot ? Is it too hot to touching the panel by accident ?

I think they have to reconsider to test 1 or 2 years to finalize it because this keyboard is advanced technology after all.

Jetatt23 said:

I had an old Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse pair, and they were constantly eating away at batteries. The keyboard died after about two years, but the mouse is still functional, albeit at the cost of 2 AAs a month. This keyboard is a pretty cool idea, and a mouse version would be a must have, although it will be difficult seeing as how the mouse is always covered by a hand.

Puiu Puiu said:

soon we'll have everything solar powered. at 80$ it isn't that expensive but they can do better.

Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

This keyboard has to suck for gaming in the dark :P, but the idea is great! 80$ seems a little expensive for something that could be easily replaced though.

frodough said:

well keyboards uses very little power, one of my wireless keyboards still feeding on the pair AA batteries for over 1.5 yr now. what im interested is when will cell phone get integrated solar charging option and also charges itself when statics from the human hands passes through the phone. would love to have something like that right now

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

lol... I JUST bought the Logitech K800, the wireless backlit keyboard. Sure the battery might not last very long considering it has a backlight (I haven't drained it yet), but it recharges with a microUSB plug (like the Logitech Performance Mouse MX) and the batteries are replaceable if you so wish, so its very easy to charge. While the thought of having a solar powered keyboard is intriguing and that thing is THIN~, I'll continue testing out my K800 (so far I really, REALLY like it).

IAMTHESTIG said:

Pretty cool... this should of been done long ago though. I must say i'm surprised with all the recent "green movement" crap floating around this doesn't have green stickers all over it to capture the attention of eco-mentalists. Regardless I genuinely think it is a good idea.Let's get some LED backlighting into this and then we're really talkin'.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

I'm a gamer and I game in the dark. I dont believe solar panels can use the light from monitors to charge the batteries.. the (guessing) unreplaceable battiers would be dead rendering this keyboard useless. I have a very nice Logitech keyboard and Logitech mouse that I am very satisfied with. The mouse has two chargable batteries, and charge dock, so charge and swap. I dont doubt this product would be wonderful for some people. Heck, maybe I'll start playing in the light soon.

ruzveh said:

What a joke.. My question is who is going to use this keyboard under sun light? my monitor doesnt allow me to use it outside my flat.