Logitech unveils wireless solar keyboard, the K750

Jos

Staff

Logitech has unveiled an innovative new keyboard peripheral that does away with batteries by relying on solar power instead, charging itself whenever there is light, and can reportedly live up to 3 months in complete darkness without going dry. The Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 features two solar panels along the top, which can be charged from either sunlight or an indoor lamp, and has a lifetime of around 15 years before any degradation in performance occurs.

According to the company’s press release information, the included solar power app (available for download beginning November 15, 2010) features a lux meter to help you get the necessary light, makes it easy to get at-a-glance information about battery levels, and even alerts you when you need more power. Check out the painfully cheesy video below:

As you can see the solar panels haven't come about at the expense of design. At just around 0.28 inches thick this is one of Logitech’s thinnest keyboards and it uses 'chiclet' keys with a unique contour made to be comfortable when hands are at rest. It is also compatible with the company’s Unifying system, the tiny 2.4 GHz wireless receiver that can handle up to six devices at a time, meaning you'll only use a single one of your computer’s USB ports.

The Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 is compatible with Windows and Mac OS X systems, though the model being announced today uses a Windows key configuration -- Logitech hasn't ruled out selling a Mac-oriented model though. The device will ship later this month in the U.S. and Europe for $80.

Permalink to story.

I have a logitech keyboard that I splurged for with giftcards a few years back. It needs upgrading but with the price of keyboards, it looks like it will never happen!, but maybe I should tone down my expectations from my keyboard.

Anyway, this solar keyboard reminded me of my keyboard and now the batteries are dying.... for the first time in 2 years. Power isn't something I'm worried about.

Seems like a cool new style of keyboards. I never like wireless anything, because of replacing batteries. This one has the feature of being wireless and never having to add batteries. Seems like a win win.

looks like a very good device. but i think 15 years is more than enough for a keyboard. i doubt anyone will use it for that long without replacing it. i like the unifying system cos i have a lot of usb devices plugged into my computer at one time. now they just have to make a solar mouse. HAHA

This is pretty cool actually. A solar powered wireless keyboard which will (supposedly) last for 15 years before a replacement is needed. This is what I call green tech. Think of how many keyboards purchasing this device would save from the garbage heaps of the world?

Damn brilliant idea... Logitech is kinda expensive though. I wonder what are they going to come up with in the future. What wouldn't be such a great idea, is to buy one of these when my niece and nephew are around all the time... imagine the look of the keyboard all spilled with nesquick. xD

This sounds like a great idea. It's competitively priced for a wireless keyboard, you never have to worry about batteries which can be a pain, and the keyboard is pretty stylish. I really like the look of it and how thin it is. I haven't needed a keyboard in a long time, but this keyboard is actually making me think I should plop down the $80 for one. While 15 years seems optimistic, I've had nothing but good luck with Logitech products, so if it can make it 15+ years kudos. I'd be happy if the keyboard made it 5-10 years.

Considering how much energy is wasted in office buildings, trying to channel some of that into charging electrical items is a good concept.

This sounds awesome. I would definitely pay the extra money for this. Next update for this keyboard should be bluetooth compatible. Maybe share some of this technology with apple so I can have one for home use.

What´s up with this.? are you going to take out your Keyboard for recharge... they should be working on a SOLAR LAPTOP instead of stand alone keyboard. my thinking

Finaly, no more batteries :) It's cheap too. I'll get one for myself as soon as it gets in my country. And solar laptop is nice solution. They can put the solar panels on the lid. It will be practical and nice looking at the same time :)

Conceptually it seems to be a brilliant idea; however, as this thing would be used 'indoors' (mostly); I'd rather like to see how much 'light' it required to be operative; and do the cost-to-benefit ratio results in net energy saving or is it just another fad for the eco-mentalist camp.

Forget it - as I saw the "has chicklet keys," I stopped reading. I haven't seen one of those since the Commodore 64 days. BTW - exactly how much power does a wireless keyboard draw? Enough to really bother (plus shell out $80) for a novelty keyboard like this?

Exactly the point I raised about its power usage Tom, personally I've liked Razor Lycosa more, so if I ever decided to buy an expensive keyboard it will be something like that.

YES this can go perfectly with my new all-in-one i bought.....(it doesnt come with a keyboard) so this is awesome....

Well, its interesting enough I'd buy it if I had money to blow. I'm just not too sure solar powered is a good idea. Who doesn't move their desktops away from windows to avoid glare? But its not like keyboards require much power so its probably fine.

As you said it does reequire very little power....and probably even that lighting from the computer or desk light or anything can give it alteast some power

I think the $80 price tag big high perhaps lower it to $60 for the current economy. I would love to have this same solar technology for my cell phone. This is a great idea.

put it outside when your not using it? it did say it can hold a charge for over 3 months...

I really like this idea, Batteries drive me nuts. Let me know when they make a mouse with a kinetic-charging system.

Haha that was a very cheesy video. This is a really fantastic idea and it looks like they've put everything together without any downsides. $80 is a little pricey, but when you take into account the fact that you never need replaceable batteries or any kind of charging station... I'm sure it pays off nicely.

Kudos to Logitech for this one.

Back