Facebook is fastest social network; Twitter, MySpace slowest

By on November 1, 2010, 4:30 PM
On average, response times and availability of five major social networks (Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter, and MySpace) has improved this past quarter, according to Web analytics company AlertSite. This is great news given that all of them (save for possibly MySpace) have a quickly growing number of users.

Despite a few outages, however, Facebook is still the fastest social network in terms of average response time. In the most recent third quarter (July 1 to September 30), Facebook shaved 0.02 seconds off its second quarter average response time, down to 1.00 seconds. Twitter and Myspace came in the last two spots with average response times of 2.93 seconds and 3.61 seconds, respectively. That being said, Twitter's performance improved the most over the last quarter among the social networks studied: more than 35 percent.

Speed isn't everything though: reliability is just as, if not more, important. LinkedIn took the top spot in terms of availability with 99.96 percent during the past quarter. Facebook and Twitter had the most downtime with availability rates of 99.76 percent and 99.74 percent, respectively.

taea00 said:

Finally I can keep everyone updated every second of my life! 1.00 I love Jane Smith. 2.12 I'm baking a cake for Jane Smith. 3.00 I hate Jane Smith. 4.50 Judy Smith is the one I love the most! 6.00 My toaster is making me toast!

I really don't understand the obsession with social networking. We have become such a lonely and isolated culture we can't just pick up a phone or go to a friend's house? In my opinion these social networking sites are isolating us even more and bombarding people with irrelevant information just so we can feel more integrated into the society we're turning away from by not being social!

EDO219 said:

Three years ago, I looked at the HTML of MySpace and was so horrified that I have not returned since. xD

Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

Facebook being the fastest is no surprise to me, along with Myspace being last lol.

akannitaoheed said:

Then face book servers had better been hacker proof to protect all the numbers on face book. The risks are always there.

treeski treeski said:

They must not have tested loading pictures off of Facebook

Breech said:

Myspace fails to load many times in firefox. When it does load it is very slow. Glad I don't need to be on that site.

kevin1212 said:

You said it taea00... but its not what we have become, its what we always were, but now with a chance to show it. It gives you an idea of how few intelligent persons there are out there. And the worst part is that its unlikely that such intelligent people would come up with a social networking site as a billion dollar idea because its something we would never use... "i wouldn't use it so who would".

kevin1212 said:

AnonymousSurfer AnonymousSurfer said:

Nobody uses Myspace anymore... I'm surprised it's in business still

mtrenal said:

Kevin1212, I'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to make. The idea of the social network was inarguably a brilliant one. The utility that society will derive from it is perhaps in question, but it is not at all a stupid idea. I'm pretty sure that Zuckerberg created Facebook for exactly the reason that it is something that we would use. And, to claim that it is geared towards less intelligent people simply doesn't make sense- it started out as a Harvard-only site, then an Ivy-only site. While not everyone at these schools necessarily deserves the reputation of being the smartest students in the US, many do.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Social networking was an amazing idea and has made some people very rich. I think it took a lot of effort to build these huge networking sites but im not a fan of them i do have a facebook but really only check it every now and then i had a myspace and i deleted it waste of time. There is a place for social networking but i spend more time on techspot or newegg everyday than anything else. Facebook is for old people and young girls i think that more girls use facebook than men and its probably way in the favor.

kevin1212 said:

Yes mtrenal, i do agree with you, i wouldn't deny that it has its uses, and indeed as you said... its more what our society has made it out to be that i disagree with. I didn't say the idea was stupid though, what i basically said was that someone like me would never have come up with such an idea because its not something that i would be using as often as most people. In other words i wouldn't have expected it to be up there with google and youtube, but what i didn't realise is that most people aren't like me and live for means of social networking, even if its just for useless dribble. And i'm not insulting the creators of facebook either, though one can say that they stumbled onto the big picture, at the very least they knew what people wanted, i didn't. What i think that even you can't deny is that quite a hefty percentage of the people on facebook simply cant be classified as intelligent, but certainly self absorbed.

mtrenal said:

Yes, I would agree with you that there are plenty of people on Facebook who aren't exactly intelligent, but there also are plenty of people in everyone's daily life who aren't intelligent (and self-absorbed). I agree that it is more of a societal problem, that our society cares so much about which social networking website can make sure that we can tell the world about every second of our lives the fastest.

There is something to be said about social networking in moderation (as there is about nearly everything in moderation), though. If used in the right ways it can certainly be a tool to connect people, but I would never deny you that there are too many people who use social networks as a means for their entire lives, and thus they disconnect themselves from real world interaction. The question in my mind, however, is this: How many people on Facebook are actually overusing it? Those who use it too much are the only ones who draw attention, making it seem like everyone must be addicted to constantly clicking the refresh button. When I actually think about it, though, it seems like theres only a handful of people who are constantly on Facebook out of the hundreds of people I know who have one.

ruzveh said:

I used to like orkut bt they have made a mess of their interface and slowed down their pages which resulted in less usage of orkut now. Yea spends more time on fb

aj_the_kidd said:

Not that im big on social networks but this is the first Ive heard of LinkedIn

bugejakurt said:

Facebook was and still is the best social network.

miggypublic said:

Facebook is slow sometimes when viewing pictures - or it does not load at all (only the interface, except for the pictures). Oh well, probably the problem is on my network. :|

hassaan said:

As long as the privacy settings are enforced then I have no issue with it and even then if theres something you really don't want people to know about just don't post it. I'm sure 99% of people who sign up for the service realise it makes them somewhat visible online even if a much smaller percentage then pay any attention to the repercussions of that.

fadownjoo said:

When you are a multibillion dollar company, i would sure hope that you would have the servers reqiured to maintain it....

63Jax said:

don't care, i don't use any of those sites. i prefer real life, real girls, rel people instead of this virtual life. waste of time, just sit there in front of the pc getting fat and jerk of on some liar mother fuckers pretending they are girls. go outside people, discover the world, bla, bla, bla, lool...

ZipZpZowie said:

I realize it's nice to be able to keep family and friends updated - especially if they lve far away, but I find FB to be the most annoying piece of (software) there is. Also you get too many people and other slime sending you messages and friend request all the time. I turned the security up as high as I could and still get crap for people.

kevin1212 said:

Maybe we're different there mtrenal. I'm 22 and i can tell you that out of all my peers, i am one of the 2 people that doesn't have a facebook profile. I can say though that my closest friends who have a profile don't abuse it... i even sometimes ask them to advertise stuff for me. But i can say that just about every female i know puts in hours per day. They try so hard to prove to themselves and everyone else that they have a great life. I think if you really need to prove it like that, then you can't possibly have that great a life.

In addition to that it they have to know what is going on with everyone else, along with telling everyone what they are up to every second of the day. And to think one of my students (female) said that if you don't have a facebook profile then you must be a loser, but tell me which is more sad, not having a profile, or being a part of what i just mentioned? Lets not forget they constantly take photos of themselves... really... tell me which is more sad.

Connecting to people is indeed what facebook is all about, and i can understand that and see why people should use it, but many of the important uses of facebook are never used by most of these people.

There are plenty of legitimate alternatives to Facebook which are being forgotten in developments such as this. In a current context Facebook is the dominant social networking resource, but this can change quickly as the demise of MySpace demonstrates. http://www.no1social.com lists the top ten social networking webistes based on their current Alexa ranking, I would predict that the websites currently sitting below facebook will pose a legitimate threat in the future

frodough said:

ppl, you know you can actually get a lot more done when you are not one of those who got hooked to FB to the point where they have to check it every 5 minutes, literally. i check it once a month if that, i'm not anti social, there are just more things to do in real life than in front of a screen checking out friends' change of status.

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

Myspace should be dead by now, and i think it should. I'm not going back to myspace. The next time I see a friend's page littered with glitter effects or colour schemes that make you wanna bawl your eyes out, I'm gonna kill them.

In that respect, Facebook was a godsend to me. No. Customisation on that level, and the most I get is annoying invites I can ignore, not rainbow machine-guns into my eyeballs with tracks of justin bieber playing in the background

hitech0101 said:

Does this statistic make any difference to the insecure facebook & twitter & whatever addicts ? They probably too busy to be worried about all this stuff, even if they by mistakenly see this what are they going to do about it ?

When will i stop getting friends request from people I don't know in my work mail id ? When will my 'real' friends stop asking me 'when are you going to open an facebook account' ? When will loads of comments in techspot news/comments end ? I know the answer only to the last question.God help us all I hope he isn't too busy tweeting or checking updates.

fritz123 said:

a lot of people spend most of their time online. and most of that time goes to social networking. i also spend a lot of time on these sites and i say that facebook really is the best. since facebook focuses more on the interaction unlike myspace which is somehow about customizing your page and profile. its kinda refreshing to see some uniformity in social networking sites like in facebook since profile customization usually gets abused. i hate those glitter text and all those unnecessary applications on your profile. :[

kaonis92 said:

Just compare the profits of facebook and google to the rest and you will understand why!

Puiu Puiu said:

So that people can play farmville without delays. ^_^

xcelofjkl said:

Aren't they also the same websites with worse security? Sheesh.