EA signs five year deal to use Facebook Credits

By on November 2, 2010, 1:30 PM
Electronic Arts and Facebook today announced they have signed a five-year deal. The strategic relationship aims to create a simplified, more accessible experience for people who play games and purchase virtual goods on Facebook. It also means that Facebook Credits will become the exclusive payment method for the social networking platform in all of EA's games. As part of the agreement, EA will receive a 70 percent revenue share (the standard for all developers on Facebook) for Facebook Credits.

More than 200 million people play Facebook games every month. Facebook Credits is a virtual currency used to purchase virtual goods in many games and applications on the social network, such as such as Farmville and Mafia Wars. You can purchase Facebook Credits using your credit card, PayPal, or via a mobile phone.

EA already has games on Facebook: the company bought out Playfish late last year for $275 million and they still have two games in the Facebook top ten: Pet Society and Restaurant City. EA is also planning to release Monopoly as well as Pogo Games (20 games in one location, currently in beta) on the Facebook platform.

"Since gaming has emerged as the most popular category of applications on Facebook, the natural next step is for EA to broaden its relationship with Facebook and its 500 million users," Barry Cottle, Senior Vice President and General Manager for EA Interactive, said in a statement. "Our goal is to make the best games tailored specifically to the platforms on which people want to play."

Johny47 said:

Sounds interesting and I think monopoly will be a big seller, I like monopoly especially the 'themed' ones like Disney etc =)

spyx said:

This is getting way out of hand ...I mean really? come on...WOW...........I dont even have a facebook..... anywhoi hope this doesnt give people a major advantage cuz then I would go into rage....facebook is gettng tooooooooooo big..

Yosip said:

Soon on Facebook: Call of Duty 23 with multiplayer in year 2066.

sMILEY4ever said:

Yosip said:

Soon on Facebook: Call of Duty 23 with multiplayer in year 2066.

I smiled. :P

Best of luck EA.

TwiztidSef said:

Its a good move on EA's part. Kinda weird that it came out right after a story about how zynga was worth more than EA or something like that.

I am actually surprised that Facebook pays 70% to developers. Seems like more than i would expect them to pay. Facebook is a huge network. To release a game to that big a crowd at once is pretty valuable.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Uh-oh, here comes the DRM and £50 games and overpriced DLCs to facebook

TechFox said:

im just amazed at the marketing prowess of facebook. not only has is basically killed off myspace its signing with all kinds of companies. have the best social gaming company zynga, and now ea. they really are trying to branch facebook to accommodate everyone's wants. congrats facebook and i cnt wait to play monopoly thatl be a great game to have on there

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

And as a game developer I scoff Facebook games. This isn't making my life easier lol

ruzveh said:

It seems after zynga credit now EA wants to cash in some bucks. Good

archd said:

can't wait for Dragon Age journey came to facebook

it's a good game for browser game

kaonis92 said:

This comes after the figures that EA had been surpassed by Zynga!

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

I'm surprised so many people actually play these flash based browser games. I'm surprise so many people spend so much time on facebook that it has grown so fast and so big. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the 800 lb gorillas of the computer world and I don't hate facebook... I just don't see how people have so much time to spend on it.

kaonis92 said:

The just spend ALL the free time they have on facebook, I have seen many real-life examples...

frodough said:

frequent FB users are just sad nothing's worse than spying each other online or even cyber-stalking

theruck said:

i havent seen a good game from EA for ages. but i have seen a lot of titles from them. quantity over quality. if it goes this way i am never gona buy a EA game again i think

hitech0101 said:

Now more repeating titles for facebook players also.Facebook users deserve this kind of punishment.

IkarugaShiver said:

Jesus Christ... Facebook games... If you're going to spend money on games, why not buy an actual title, which will have better graphics, (hopefully) some actual semblance of a storyline, and actual GAMEPLAY?! -____- For the people that play for free out there, more power to ya.