The Dell Inspiron Duo teaser video looks amazing

By on November 5, 2010, 7:16 PM
The Dell Inspiron Duo finally got its official teaser video, and it looks amazing. Announced two months ago, the 10-inch convertible netbook has an interesting swivel mechanism: the screen flips vertically inside the bezel. When the panel is facing inwards, you have a normal netbook that you can open and close as you normally would. When it's facing outwards, you have a tablet with a hardware keyboard underneath. In other words, the device has an entertainment mode and a productivity mode.

The Inspiron Duo feature a dual-core Intel Atom N550 processor, Windows 7 Home Premium, and hopefully some applications that put the touchscreen to good use. The video shows a JBL speaker-dock as well as the device working in both modes.

The video says the Inspiron Duo is "coming soon" but Dell has yet to be any more specific than that (we expect to have it by this year's holiday season). In any case, the price is also unknown. How much would you be willing to pay for the device?

SSaywell said:

Looks good, can see people breaking it by not folding it properly.

cardriverx said:

ehh a N550 with windows 7? I guess ill reserve judgment till its out on how well it preforms.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That does look pretty cool... But teal?

brianmsu said:

while im sure the performance will be fine, i still dont see me having a use for this!

Emil said:

Wendig0 said:

That does look pretty cool... But teal?

There's a black and red version as well.

taea00 said:

Warning anyone with Epilepsy don't watch that video. It's amazing how they didn't show anything in that video, minus the screen flipping to show a keyboard. All it was was post production. How about actually demonstrating the device instead of having 500 camera angles and some crazy music. If they can't give a straight glimpse at the thing in my opinion it means it's lacking except in the one feature they actually showed you.

IAMTHESTIG said:

Kinda cool but also seems kinda clumsy to "convert". I'm not sure about this... I think I would prefer a nice slide-out keyboard that is fairly large or a external snap-on modular keyboard. This just seems like it would be too thick and too easy to break.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

All i can say is that it looks great from a sneak peak but i want cold hard evidence to back up how cool it looks.

rebelinhyd said:

This is one dell product that i might actually like.

sMILEY4ever said:

brianmsu said:

You don't, others might.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

not bad, nice concept , i don't need 1, so will pass on it.

cheers!

7410xas said:

looks like 450 without dock. 500 with dock

Puiu Puiu said:

if it doesn't go for 1-2000$ then it will become a big success. i really like the way it looks and of course it has windows so you can do so much more with it than a simple tablet.

thedrelle said:

I almost passed out laughing when i saw their tagline, "you can tell its a dell" ha ha ha. can you tell i dislike dell?

Despite that, i do think that this is a great idea, however, i wonder how long that bevel will last.

TeamworkGuy2 said:

I know I am being outrageous, but with a Atom N550 I would not pay more than $700. Although that would depend on other features, such as RAM, HD, battery life, etc...

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I think this could be a runaway hybrid success, if Dell plays it (and prices it) right. Tablets are already eating into the shrinking netbook market, so a product that targets both effectively (and stays within the price range that customers looking for either of those options is expecting) could do amazingly well. And, as someone who's used (and supported) the "spin and flip" hinged convertible laptops out there now, I can say I have high hopes for this new novel approach to flipping the screen around.

I think I'll wait for a bit on it, though... Wait for a second generation unit that has any kinks worked out and uses one of the next generation APUs for a bit of horsepower and graphics performance Hey, a guy can dream, right?

zogo said:

Very cool and handy. Hope it can endure the non stop flipping. A 1000$-1500$ would be reasonable(depends of the hardware)

tacobfm said:

I really don't see this taking off. imo i'd rather use a netbook than a tablet.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Ooooh, why do they have to be so tempting! I've been holding out for the Notion Ink Adam, but a tablet that can become a fully keyboarded computer is so very attractive! The hard part is that having Windows 7 on it is the best and worst part about it. I'd love to be able to run "real" applications on it, but I also want a more tablet centric friendly OS.

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That does look pretty awesome. Any word on pricing? If it is not too much more than other netbooks it could be a real hit.

MrAnderson said:

That is my favorite color... but... I don't know...

mosu said:

This is what I want for Christmas, only with dual or quad core ARM and Android, maybe with the new Tegra on steroids(32nm parts)

MrAnderson said:

Then you pretty much want something else. I doubt an ANdroid nettop will come out. It will be a tablet if anything else...

miska_man said:

If I was in the market for a tablet device (can this be considered a tablet?), I would have to consider buying this. Tablet mode combined with a keyboard to make it a laptop AND Windows 7 AND a dual core processor. As long as the price is decent, this should be a big win for Dell.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I've always liked the convertibles (I have a Fujitsu P1510D, now too long in the tooth and I'm not using it). I'll wait for Bobcat, however. I'm waiting to see how it performs, then wait for the design wins. Maybe there will be an Inspiron Duo with it.

I fail to see how this isn't just an underpowered uniquely swiveling tablet laptop with an overly wide bevel. Did I miss something?

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I don't think you missed anything apart from the opportunity to look at things without cynicism. Since you don't compare to anything in particular and don't compare any features other than "power" (presumably CPU) and bevel width, your statement is pretty meaningless.

limpangel limpangel said:

Looks cool. But I think it is a little underpowered, at least for W7.

Would like to see it run MeeGo or even Ubuntu (with the new Unity look and touch capabilities).

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This is a product that fits perfectly into the normal specs of netbooks and tablets today, so I guess I don't see the "underpowered" viewpoint. The unique swivel potentially fixes one of the weak spots on current convertibles (the single spin/flip hinge). And, I'm guessing you've never used a tablet, or have spent very little time using one. You NEED a wide bezel with a touch-based tablet, so you have somewhere to grip the unit while using, so you won't generate false touches. It's not an issue with pen-based digitizers, but if it's touch, you'll be thankful of the wide bezel (speaking from 10 years of tablet experience here). I mean, have you looked at the bezel of the "revolutionized the tablet market" iPad? It's wide for a reason.

Simply amazing. Apple could never come out with anything that cool.

Apple has been nothing but flaws, glitches and defects.

black86 said:

what kind of gfx will these be paired with? would it be able to run sc2 on everything low? just curious :)

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

You had me until "netbook"

It's a good concept but when you see the actual live demonstration (as oppose to the heavily mocked up on in the teaser) it looks incredibly flimsy.

dlen said:

It's pretty cool. What is the size of this device? If it's thickness is more than 2cm it might be difficult to use it as a tablet.

TwiztidSef said:

This is a good concept. I am just worried about the hinges durability and the cable connection quility. If that stuff fails quickly, then i would say they would lose quite a few customers. I newver quite trusted laptops though.

bam13 said:

looks like a nice toy...but IĀ'm afraid thatĀ's all it is

bam13 said:

and about a price...IĀ'd take it for about 300 euro, at this price I would consider it interesting

jazboy said:

looks good. Any update on price ?

I want one! I can't wait till it comes out! Its going to be 499$