Google: Chrome OS could replace 60% of Windows PCs

By on November 26, 2010, 12:48 PM
Linus Upson, Google's vice president for engineering in charge of Chrome, recently made some bold comments about his company's upcoming operating system. Google has apparently done some research and found that 60 percent of Windows PCs used in the corporate world are exclusively used for tasks that can be handled in a browser environment. Google wants to hit Microsoft where it hurts.

"Mr. Upson says that 60 percent of businesses could immediately replace their Windows machines with computers running Chrome OS," according to The New York Times. "He also says he hopes it will put corporate systems administrators out of work because software updates will be made automatically over the Web. But the vast majority of businesses still use desktop Microsoft Office products and cannot imagine moving entirely to Web-based software or storing sensitive documents online at least not yet."

Corporate IT departments aren't going to immediately jump on Chrome OS, and it's not simply because they tend to do things slowly. Upson hopes the OS will put corporate system administrators out of work because software updates will be made automatically over the Web. The system administrators who decide whether to move to Chrome OS or stay on Windows are obviously going to stick with the latter if their jobs are at stake. They will come up with every reason and excuse not to ditch Windows. At the same time, CFOs and CEOs will be eager to move to Chrome OS if it means streamlining IT operations.

Google is planning on releasing Chrome OS on netbooks in the first half of 2011. As part of the "consumer launch," Acer and HP will push out various hardware offerings but none of them will be for businesses. A Google-branded Chrome OS netbook (think Nexus One) will reportedly launch for "friends and family" in December. The search giant says that the main way to differentiate between its two OS offerings is form factor: Android is for touch, Chrome OS is for keyboards.

KG363 KG363 said:

Doesn't Windows have auto updates? How is that special?

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

So basically google wants to push its OS onto everything slowly and steadily?

I don't trust my data being stored in "the-cloud" and that alone simply pushes me away from their OS to start with.

Plus by the sounds of it you can't actually "install" apps on this OS.

This alone means it will pish away more of the business market which uses legacy software etc...

I don't think 60% is realisatic at all.

They pretty much, trying to create a hype and get some from google...

Mischief007 said:

This is laughable. I commend Google's tactics but they are dreaming.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

burty117 said:

Considering the confidentiality requirements of some corporate documents, Some companies will think (hopefully, for their sake) the same thing too.

Does anyone have any recent usage statistics for Google Apps? Because if those numbers are lackluster, the adoption rate for ChromeOS may follow a similar trend in my opinion.

Anyways, I'm used to hearing Windows and Apple making brazen comments/predictions, so this is somewhat unexpected considering the percentage quoted.

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

Looks to me like someone is projecting their own insecurities.

I like to think of the old saying here, make something ***** proof and they'll build a better *****.

I've run into countless examples of end users breaking the simplest things, there's always going to be demand for system administrators and as technology advances those demands will increase. I'm sure the day will come that because a clients shoes have wifi pedometers, they'll need a tech to tie them.

Just because something "could" be handled in a browser does not mean that is the best place for it. According to Google 100% of people should be using some Google product but that does not make a true statement.

Leeky Leeky said:

According to Google 100% of people should be using some Google product

Though I bet the real percentage is somewhere very close to that figure.

In some way, shape or form the Google portfolio touches most people, and quite a few without even realising it.

edison5do said:

Im not one of those with All My Life On The Cloud... nope not me..

bioflex said:

i think google it deluded about this one, not going to happen.

treetops treetops said:

Most computers come with windows, so yeah...

What ever Linus Upson is smoking, i want some!

avoidz avoidz said:

No chance. I also don't trust data with Google's -- or anyone's -- "cloud", nor an OS that can't have local apps installed on it.

fwilliams said:

Windows 8 will be cloud, so just wait 2 or 3 years, and you can really on Microsoft to securely keeping your data safe in the cloud.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

60% eh? I think Google should come over here and read the comments on this article, lol.

I just really don't trust putting all my info in a cloud. Sure HDDs and SSDs fail, but that's what they make back-up disks for...and secondary HDDs, lol.

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

Lol, remember Knol? No?

Haha that's what I thought.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

My first reaction to the article's title:

"Hahahaha, no."

Det Det said:

People please. This article was about Chrome OS having the _possibility_ to immediately replace 60% of Windows PCs as they are being used for tasks that Chrome OS can also handle. Not that it _would_ actually happen even in 10 years.

I don't believe Chrome OS will in its first years be any more popular than Mac (if even that) becase Windows really dominates the desktop market and has done so for _long_. A lot of companies have tried to beat Microsoft in the desktop market, e.g. Apple (Mac OS) and IBM (OS/2) but it is very very hard which is why they were unsuccesful. You'd really have to come up with something that is not only better but inspiring and very comfortable for the user compared to Windows.

Even then not everybody would just *switch* to the new OS during the first day of the release.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Leeky said:

According to Google 100% of people should be using some Google product

Though I bet the real percentage is somewhere very close to that figure.

May be, but that does not apply to me

I think he is smoking heroin or something strong; because few well informed commentators have already pointed out something which google doesn't understand, "why would businesses want to put all their eggs in one basket (means loosing control over their own data), i.e. google ?"

Google doesn't offer anything which make it unique from others, they may have the search engine market domination, and that is too because of one reason i.e. 'habit'.

Anyway, I think google devised the plan to put everything up in clouds, and even then they are not getting much headway with it, simple reason, 'browser' is not everything. Most of the work done at workplace computers involves complex set of applications, including productivity suite like MS Office, CAD/CAM applications, other database/ERP solutions etc. to name few; and google's cooked up OS may worth nothing more than a load and half of s**** in these areas.

In fact what they have done, is gave MS a head start in some respect, as MS had the right tools which are used in the business environment, and they only need to get few bigger players along side them to make their own cloud base solution much more potent than google's could be impotent threat in this area. For now, this new OS doesn't seems to have much promise. Some may point at the mobile arena and android, but that is a different story, they got hold in that area because several of the bigger players played their hands badly (i.e. Nokia / MS etc.).

By the way, do heroin make people day dream?

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Keyword here : ---> 'Could'......Which means 0% to anything really.

satty said:

"60% of businesses could immediately replace their Windows machines with computers running Chrome OS"

I bet this wont happen

20% of internet users still use IE6

Most of these legacy apps mentioned in the comments by people - as reasons corporate IT won't switch to Chrome OS are actually run in the browser, so it's not as big a hurdle to convert as you might think. That said a lot of them are horribly written and designed to work on IE6, so Google still have their work cut out.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I "could" fly, if I "could" grow wings and feathers....Even still, it would probably take a lot of practice......I guess you could say I'd have to revise my operating system.

nismo91 said:

i believe that's not gonna happen. 60% IE users to chrome is feasible, but 60% Windows users to Chrome OS is difficult.

p51d007 said:

Can't see this being realistic...unless you have a locked down intranet, you think security can be made by allowing the data to freely flow through the cloud?

If this is internet only, I don't believe it, but, if Google would allow a sysadmin lock down an intranet, it could be possible?

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Fly by the seat of your pants..Cap-i-tan (salute)

You 'could' also fly if you got yourself a seat on a plane...but yeah, like thats ever going to happen....now that everybodys broke an all.

RealXboxMaster said:

Chrome OS will NEVER even come close to what MS has done with there Windows. No way in hell. MS controlls about 95% of the computers world wide. Chrome can go chrome my ballz...LOL

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

How could this OS go over windows nt administration? Which big enterprise would want their data stored in a cloud that they cant control (Of course a lot of them do but they pay a premium professional top notch service for security, privacy and stability)?

I would love to say basic home users could easily switch to linux for everything they do, on a more standard, secure and stable operative system. But we all know that is not true, it might be more secure and stable but it certainly is not easy, normal people dont want to go around the web searching for how to do things, they just want it done and who does that? Windows does.

Who wants a system that they cant configure to their own image of what they use? Not even guys who know nothing of computers.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

i cant see how this could replace windows in the corporate world at all. Especially not where i work, in a banking environment.

Lets hope most business owners and managers are smart enough to avoid this cloud crap. When I was a kid there was a saying that rang true then and still remains true even more today: "Keep your head out of the clouds when it comes to important things" --> know the difference between make-believe and reality. That means be creative, but don't be so drawn to the imaginary that you start thinking it is reality. You guys are right. Google needs to read these comments. Seriously. I think everyone here has some strong points based in reality without corporate fantasy...and none of us need to name someone "Linus" to be in charge of what we are doing so that we may feel like we are in charge of a "Lin"ux-like endeavor! --> Are you listening, Google?

Now the NSA will have even easier access to your personal data rather than having to build backdoors into Windows. Seeing as Google is an arm of the NSA this should be easy as pie for them. Google OS may have some nice features and a great user interface but I question what's at stake regarding censoring, profiling of my character and data etc. Let's see how it goes..

clifftheitguy said:

It's pretty hard for Chrome to replace Microsoft unless they can address the legal implication of data store. This is because cloud computing services involve the processing and storage of masses of data that is often commercially sensitive, confidential, and "personal information".

Now, the key question with any cloud computing service is: "where is the data stored or processed?"

It is a key question because location is not fixed in the cloud. Unlike a fixed server in your office or at a data centre in US, data in the cloud could potentially be located anywhere in the World and even in multiple data centres in multiple copies worldwide.

In fact, a cloud service provider may not even know where the data is residing.

I assume the "cloud" (most ambiguous term ever) could - at least in part - be served by a corporate intranet rather than Google's servers. Google's idea here isn't really new, corporate IT have flirted with the idea of thin clients for decades, but it's never really taken off.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Not only the cloud problem, what about the networking system that business use? Can chrome behave like a windows server? Can you mount services on it or access windows focused services?

If Google porfolio touches me, I'll have hin up on charges.

The sheer audacity of the Man changing his his name to Linux Upyours is simply breathtaking!

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I guess google need to be froogle about the estimates when it comes to this captain.

May be they need to realize that it can turn out to be 'cloudy with a chance of kick in the balls' for them.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well, the scary part is, that like the lemmings, too many people are rushing to throw themselves into Google's "sea" of information gathering and privacy invasion, where all your personal data is poured ,then dissolved in a malodorous, corporate B***S*** broth. Listen up morons, it's not a "cloud", it's quicksand.

Everything the Google gives you, makes you more dependent on them! That in turn gives them more control over you. It actually has reached the point where they think for you.

It's like this. Everybody wants to either depend on Google, or work for Google, nobody wants to milk cows anymore! Guess what, Google isn't going to supply you with milk and cookies, just more, "targeted advertising".

It's a shame really, we were such an intelligent species, until the intellect was Googled out of us.

No run along children, and be sure to give Google your social security number.

vangrat said:

Actually, no they're not run in a browser. Most are built on legacy software that requires corporations to run on a crap OS like 2k or NT. Which means these companies have to run them in compatability mode on any of the newer Windows OSs, most of the time this does not work either.

However, for home use, if Google really wanted to make their OS popular, they would get all of the gaming companies on board their OS. Where the games are, the geeks will follow.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Reply With Quote

Well as they say the devil is in the details; even if by some miracle this happens, with the current relatively 'okay' broadband speeds the games will take considerable time to run. Hence, the proposition is nothing more than a pipe dream for google; which probably will not come to pass for many years to come.

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

Yeah, 60% of the PC's will be commited to the Google-services forever after...

Well, atleast a Windows PC will be usable whether I lack an internet-connection up in the Rockies or not.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

The corporate software market is a hard sell, even for Microsoft. Look how long it took to get corporate clients from XP to Windows 7 and there are those who are still using IE6. Google should concentrate on beefing up their Chrome browser and maybe one day, get Windows Update to run on it so that I no longer have to start up IE to check on my OS updates. That would be a real kick in the nuts for MS.

ddg4005 ddg4005 said:

I think the talking heads at Google may be smoking chronic if they think they're going to replace Windows on 60 percent of PCs with Chrome OS.

I think you are all corporate system administrators trying to save your job, lol.

Imo this is impossible. The only possible way imo is to make the desktop a web-server and run everything on it. But to make this web-server you require a basic OS. So basically it is like a trail edition of classic OS-es.

Let's assume that till now everything is possible but how can this make use of all the power of todays high-end hardware ?

And imagine if data were to be stored on the internet...where will it actually be stored, how fast your internet connection would need to be, how are you even SECURE.

This would probably require programmers to learn a new programming language and kill classic languages (impossible).

It is true you can do a lot of things whit a web-server/browser, but I have never seen a game like crysis on a browser...

This OS will not be so good IMO. I would personally make and OS that has all functions organized into profiles you want to use based on your activity, whit none to few things hidden or hard to change. Something like an OS functions manager whit all things the OS can do in one place and you can chose what you need and what not.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Infact the corporate types will be happiest one if things move in to this 'cloudy sh**'; simply because google or anyone else can't provide guarantee for 100% security and availability; do I need to remind you how often just the email systems have faced issues/outages so far? Forget about any other offerings.

I don't know how people comeup with such stupid comments; they need to understand that it is about 'money' and google (or for that matter any other corporation) is out their to get it; no matter what they have to do to get it; hence, ethics or standards (most of the time) are just a smoke screen, period. Apple have tried to penetrate OS market for good part of last two decades, and failed; my hunch is history is about to repeat itself; only this time around it will be google at the receiving end.

Dear Linus Upson, get your head out of the "cloud." Really waiting to see this fall right through the roof, I highly doubt 60% is a number close to replacing any OS. Personally, I wouldn't trust securing my data in any cloud at all. This article just tickles me to death, as Google is trying to take over the World...Wide...Web..LOL.

I would like to try this new OS and i think Google will surprise us.

Good luck with that. Security is still so hit or miss...not a day goes by without news of a Browser vulnerability, security breach, security leak, or something, not to mention serious lack of consistency as to how information is kept secure....if at all. This doesn't even address site or internet provider outages. Yeah, I'm sure some companies will fall for the hype and prematurely sack their sys administrators, but then who gets the blame and takes the fall when the security gets breached or the cloud breaks and your data is gone or inaccessible.

I hope his google system admins read this article.. LOL

markphone said:

Yes its true.Day by day the growth of Google Chrome over the internet is increasing and the day when Google becomes No 1 in Web and Technical field is not so far.