Mozilla launches Firefox Live to promote browser

By on December 6, 2010, 1:31 PM
Mozilla has launched a new marketing campaign to promote Firefox: adopting red pandas and putting them on live webcams. The company wants to underline the fact that the red panda is the mascot for its open source browser via a new section on its site called Firefox Live.

Firefox Live features six webcams, each of which are positioned on a red panda. There are three cubs (360 cute, Frolic, and Snuggle), their parents (Snooze and Gnaw), and their aunt (Chillin). All of them live at the Knoxville Zoo and are under sponsorship from Mozilla.

The website has an interesting marketing ploy: after a certain number of Firefox downloads, the baby red pandas get a new treat. Separately, a Cub Naming Contest lets you submit a name for the little furry animals. Most importantly, you can help support red pandas in Nepal and India by adopting one via a link on the site.

It's clear that Mozilla is trying to think of new ways to promote its browser ahead of the launch of Firefox 4. The company has been struggling recently as Firefox steadily loses share to Google Chrome.

"We're streaming cuteness," reads a message on the website. "We're dedicated to doing good. We're out to make the web a better place. Thank you for supporting Mozilla Firefox."

Jibberish18 said:

Do you HAVE TO download from that URL specifically for the Red Pandas to get a treat? Because I'm just going to download from whatever their standard Beta page is. I'm glad Firefox is using cuteness in it's ploys to get people to download Firefox and glad that they're helping out Red Pandas BUT people download Chrome for a reason. Because it's FAST. Mainly. Mozilla doesn't need to market to anyone. Damn near everyone knows about it. They're just waiting for speed improvements.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

So...red pandas are the mascot for firefox? Something about that seems a little strange, lol.

On a serious note, it's pretty cool what they're doing there. I've actually never heard of the red panda. Good job firefox. Nice to see you doing a good thing like this.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well Jibberish, speaking only for myself, I download and use Firefox because I don't want Google following me around, storing my data in their cloud, or listening to a bunch of s*** about how fast Chrome is.

Switched to Ghrome. Current Firefox was slow and fast BETA was way too buggy for me. Search Box was pretty big for in in Firefox, now using "Keywords" to search

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

The "firefox" is one colloquial name for the "red panda" , which by and of itself must be colloquial name, since the "red panda" is neither a panda or a bear. Some people think that they're distantly related to raccoons, but they look like foxes.

Cute as the dickens they are, the Philadelphia Zoo always seems to have specimens on display. The sign never alludes to the fact that they are in fact, the Mozolla mascot.

I have a "Maine coon cat". These are not related to red pandas, bears, pandas, foxes, or raccoons, but they too, are cute as the dickens.

I have no intention of switching to Chrome, but the cuteness of the Mozilla mascot has had no influence whatsoever on that decision

Emin3nce said:

I still question the fact it's a red panda, but the name of the browser is firefox. Next google will be giving you a chance to win a GOLD laptop even though their product is CHROME :P

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Seagate is giving away 3 whole HDDs in celebration of selling a billion and a half HDDs. You might want to get in on that contest too.

Here is the Wiki page on the "red panda". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_panda Under the "cultural depictions" paragraph, it is clearly stated that Mozilla is indeed, referring to this animal,

That may be their (claimed) mascot, but the logo is CLEARLY a Red Fox.

I went to check out the cute critters and saw the hind quarters of the zoo keeper, which is not quite as cute.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

It's hit or miss, so to speak with zookeepers. If you stick to the "miss" portion of the show. you'll have much better luck when they turn their back on you, as it were.

My Firefox on Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat isn't slow at all. I have no reason to go to Chrome.

I dunno why anyone even uses anything from Google, their policy with customer privacy is atrocious at best. Am I the only one that remembers that terrible email fiasco a few years back?

Educate yourself: http://www.cracked.com/article_18540_5-reasons-you-should-be
scared-google.html

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Indeed, you have no reason to switch to chrome, and with that menagerie, almost no necessity of visiting a zoo either.

I agree.... people should educate themselves more/take more precautions with the services they use. I no longer us google as my main search provider... I use the ssl ixquick plugin, and the ssl scroogle plugin (thus I technically still use google... I just deny them gaining my search habits/history on a 'silver platter'. Nothing is perfect, but it is a bit better.

If more people left google maybe.... just maybe google might take the hint, and start changing their policies... though I have my doubts ;-)

Now... back on topic... Though these critters are cute they are NOT what I think of as representing FF. Also FF is a great app. I don't see what people are talking about being slow??? I run it on Snow Leopard, Ubuntu 10.04 & XP Pro, all run w/out problems. And yes, I have tried chrome... deleted it after a week or two... no difference from what I could tell and FF isn't owned by the big "G' :-)

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Is it Saturday night already? I mean since we're off to visit the cat house......

And now the moment we've all been waiting for, and deeply appreciate:

A truly worthwhile guest comment...!

FYI, the cubs are not named 360 cute, frolic or snuggle. Those are the names for the webcam views. In fact, there are only 2 cubs. Same goes for the adult animals - those are cam name, not animal names. There is a contest to name the cubs right on the page.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

ucould2 ucould2 said:

captaincranky said:I have a "Maine coon cat". These are not related to red pandas, bears, pandas, foxes, or raccoons, but they too, are cute as the dickens

captaincranky said:I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Daniel Boon style "hat" you could use that as a re-sceptical for your vomit after viewing the hind quarters of the zoo keeper, oh but not so cute as the dickens-

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Here in Philly we have a large zoo. The volunteer staff is generally in their late teens to early twenties. I'm guessing well over 50% are female, and many haven't discovered carbohydrates as an avocation yet. That said, generally no hat-slash-receptacle is necessary.

My "vomment" comment was directed at the sickeningly sweet-slash-corny names for the red panda viewing cameras.

All kidding aside, I'm thinking that this whole firefox hysteria, could spawn a new issue of the "Barbie" series. "Trapper Barbie", with red panda fur battle jacket, and matching red panda fur Ughs. (Club for baby harp seals sold separately).

Not familiar with the Barbie series Captain Cranky, but I do have to say this is spot on PR and conservation for both the Zoo & Firefox.

It's why the were awarded the BAZI Brilliant Badge --- http://bit.ly/BrilliantMozilla

The cam names, are, however, a bit on the cheesy side.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Not familiar with the Barbie series Captain Cranky, .....[ ].....
Well, you're either putting me on, or you've lived in a cave for the past 50 years. In any event here's wiki Barbie... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbie ....and here's Barbie's home page.... http://barbiestyle.barbie.com/ ...... which adds up to ....yuck...!

There's also a "Barbamiska" .....but she's pretty much Google at your own moral peril.

Go Firefox....and bring on..., "Eco Barbie"....Yay!

The notion that firefox is losing share to google chrome is a dirty lie. All of chrome's gains are coming from IE. Firefox market share only dropped .07% in the source article, hardly significant.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Part of that slight loss is probably also due to Apple's uptick in the market. Many Mac "aficionados", likely arrive at "Safari" and stay there.

Chrome users are certainly welcome to it. While they're blathering about how fast Chrome is, Google will be following their, "habit trails", not mine. Chrome is just a venue through which Google can harvest more personal information.

I do not care if google looks at my stuff. Honestly, if you are not doing anything bad I see no reason why you need to hide stuff. Besides microsoft can read data on your OS disk at any point they like. Red pandas are cool and they do look like foxes