Consumer Reports rates AT&T the worst carrier in the US

By on December 7, 2010, 1:21 PM
AT&T is the worst cellphone service provider in the US, according to Consumer Reports. The conclusion is based on a survey of almost 58,000 people, more than half of which are iPhone owners (AT&T is the exclusive service provider of Apple's phone).

AT&T struggled in all 10 categories used to determine the rankings. U.S. Cellular was the top-rated provider with 82 points of satisfaction. Verizon Wireless and Sprint are neck-and-neck with 74 points and 73 points, respectively. T-Mobile was a bit further behind with 69 points and AT&T brought up the rear with 60 points.

To make matters worse for the company, it was the only wireless carrier to show a significant satisfaction decrease in the survey. Last year, AT&T had a rating of 66. Verizon dropped to second place after being the leader in most of the annual Consumer Reports ratings since 2003.

Most AT&T users complain that the company can't keep up with their heavy data usage. It also doesn't help that other networks are ahead of AT&T in offering 4G capabilities to their customers.

Consumer Reports found that iPhone owners were much less satisfied with their carrier; they rated their data service lower than owners of smartphones on other carriers. This could be particularly bad for AT&T if the rumored Verizon iPhone hits stores in early 2011. "Our survey suggests that an iPhone from Verizon Wireless, which is rumored, could indeed be good news for iPhone fans," Paul Reynolds, Electronics Editor for Consumer Reports, said in a statement.

"We take this seriously and we continually look for new ways to improve the customer experience," an AT&T spokesperson said in a statement. "The fact is wireless customers have choices and a record number of them chose AT&T in the third quarter, significantly more than our competitors."

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

No no no... it is damage control at this point especially if that verizon rumor becomes more popular (or becomes more than just a rumer), and the reason why so many people chose AT&T third quarter is because iPhones are EXCLUSIVE to AT&T, unlike most other smart phones (which is why they are more spread out).

If the iPhone gians service from Verizon (or even Sprint), I'd bet money that AT&T will hemorrhage iPhone customers.

Complete rubbish on behalf of the spokesperson and AT&T.

Leeky Leeky said:

You gotta factor in those iPhone4 sales in the mix there. It would be interesting to see the differences minus the locked in iPhone sales.

I'm not American, but I don't hear many good comments regarding AT&T.

As a Verizon user I am afraid that the iphone coming to Verizon could bog down verizon's network to at&t's current level

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

My big problem with my iPhone 4 on AT&T is not the data service, it's the phone service. It's downright inexcusable - I dropped 4 calls yesterday on my drive home from work and I work 7 miles from my home. I had to keep calling back and apologizing. My wife who does not have an iPhone gets much better service than I do - almost no drops. My old iPhone original release would've only dropped that call one time (I know, it did it all the time.)

Cota Cota said:

I gota agree that AT&T kinds of let us down, like deep down sometimes (yeah i was whit them), but if you come to think on the service you are asking...... im surprised they can keep it up. Changing all their network to a better state will take time, if they are doing it..... BTW keep away your IPhone away from my beloved Verizon *growl*

dummybait said:

Burn baby burn!

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Verizon as a digital network is far better grounded than AT&T, and Verizon would likely (or would be wise to) reinforce their network in heavy traffic areas prior to officially carrying service for the iPhone.

jobeard jobeard, TS Ambassador, said:

I've been with AT&T through three transitions (AT&T, Cellular, and back again) and have found it to serve my needs (both roaming and at 9,000 ft in the Serria Nevada Mts).

My Nokia works well and doesn't drop calls, but then I use it ONLY for calls and only rarely for data. All that other stuff is (imo) pure eye candy and not truly useful.

For me, the iPhone is a regression - - too much and not easy to navigate below the first level.

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder

cyriene said:

I hear a lot of bitching about ATT, but I haven't had many problems at all with my Captivate. The 3g works well. My friend on Tmobile has worse coverage than I do and will be on Edge while I am on 3g many times.

KG363 KG363 said:

I love my AT&T wireless, internet, phone, and TV

I never have any problems. Also, AT&T has the best coverage here in Miami so it's a no brainer

ATT takes a lot of heat for its iphone service but from experience, the Iphone causes a lot of problems with call dropping. I had a phone that dropped almost every call and apple blamed it on AT&T. I finally insisted they test it and replace it which they eventually did and my call rate dropped 95%. I think there is something either in the hardware or software of the iphone that isn't quite right and I thought I remembered them having issues with 3G call switching. Maybe not but it isn't all AT&T. My Blackberry service on AT&T previous to iphone was excellent.

Sorry...dropped call rate fell 95%

I haven't had a dropped call on the Verizon network since switching from Nextel four years ago.

Pubic hair ftw lol