Time picks Alan Wake as top game of 2010

By on December 15, 2010, 3:38 PM
With only two weeks left in 2010, you can expect the usual influx of yearly "best of" nominations and compilations. Along with naming Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg "Person of the Year," Time Magazine has published its picks for top 10 video games of 2010, with Alan Wake selected as this year's number one title.

Developed by Remedy Entertainment, the Xbox 360 exclusive hit store shelves on May 14 in the EU and May 18 in the US. It received an average rating between 8 and 9 out of 10, with numerous positive reviews praising its graphics, atmosphere and pacing. A sequel is rumored, but no details are available.

Angry Birds, an addictive casual game for smartphones, earned second place on Time's list. Third went to Red Dead Redemption, which was followed by Halo: Reach and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Indie titles Limbo and Super Meat Boy ranked sixth and seventh on Time's list, while Super Street Fighter IV took eighth.

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty occupied the ninth slot, while Mass Effect 2 was positioned dead last in Time's picks. We disagree with some of the magazine's decisions and we assume many of you do too. If you could recompile the list, what would it look like? What titles would you add, remove, or shift around?

ChrisG683 said:

This list is bass ackwards

princeton princeton said:

ChrisG683 said:

This list is bass ackwards

Somewhat. It's obvious the list makers were reta- I mean console gamers.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Time Magazine lost touch with the real world about 15 years ago. I can't say I'm surprised by this... Next we'll see Courtney Love and Amy Winehouse battling it out for the top spot on Time's sexiest women chart... :gag:

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

puh-lease!! This is as bad as when the Grammy's gave Jethro Tull a Grammy for "best heavy metal band."

These Time magazine voters are absolutely clueless and obviously completely out of touch with the gaming world.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

You don't bang your head to the flute Tomm? :/

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Oh I'm a big fan of Jethro Tull - seen them many a time and have most if not all of their CD's. Just a nonsensical pick for "best heavy metal band." Like these Time magazine game selections. :p

Best thing about Jethro Tull winning was that they beat Metallica and Megadeth to win that award, and the albums they beat out were arguably two of the best thrash metal albums made.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well Tom, they had to call Jethro Tull, "heavy metal", since if they placed them the appropriate category..., "Best Electric Renaissance Minstrel Band with Paranoid Delusions of Shakespearhood wearing Cod Pieces"...., they wouldn't have anybody to compete against, and only you and I would know what I'm talking about.

And yes Tom, verily, "I know how it feels to be thick as a brick"

killeriii said:

Top 10 Video Games for 10 year olds

princeton princeton said:

killeriii said:

Top 10 Video Games for 10 year olds

Totally.

lchu12 lchu12 said:

How or what are they ranking these games on!?!?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Totally.

I'm guessing you mean "Defender" for the original Atari 2600? Sadly they put out a collection of those old games for the PC which omitted "Defender".

I actually would still enjoy playing that game, and even "Super Breakout", but for that game, I couldn't tune my joystick to the feel of the old time paddle controllers.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Man, TIME magazine is on a roll! Not...

I've lost faith in just about EVERY award handed out these days. The only people I take seriously for awards are the folks at PC Gamer.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I've lost faith in just about EVERY award handed out these days.
Indeed! Look how many CMAs Taylor Swift got last year after the Kanye West fiaso. That was the best thing, (Kanye's interruption), that ever happened to her, although I doubt it felt that way at the time.

princeton princeton said:

captaincranky said:

Totally.

Arcade version of defender. I got to play it at funspot and had to have it put on my machine.

lipe123 said:

Lmao I read this article and thought to myself "err whatnow?!" I havent even heard of most of those games on there, except angry birds and a few others.

Seriousley wtf is the deal with console games taking over the world, someone needs to write some good console viruses to brick each and every one of them so we can get proper good pc games.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

princeton said:

Yeah, old classics like that are just the ticket for a challange...You can spend weeks (and still fail) trying to master games like Ghost's and Ghoul's for the Sega megadrive.

Donkey Kong Country for the SNES was quite tuff also, but a great game....Hmmm, might dig it out now and have a bash!.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

LOL Alan Wake... umm, no, leave the game picks to ppl who play games. RDR might have been a much better pick for #1, but even then there are tons of games just forgotten on this list, epic fail

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I suspect most main stream magazine reviewers never actually play the games, they just use game company marketing material.

ruben1992 said:

gwailo247 said:

^^^^

princeton princeton said:

Benny26 said:

princeton said:

Grab yourself an arcade machine(or a MAME emulator) and try the US v1 release of Donkey Kong. By far the hardest game ever made.

pgcharlie said:

wat about COD: Black OPs.. they forgot to mention that uhh????? this should have at least been in the first 5 ..

pgcharlie said:

wat about NFS Hot Pursuit.. i liked it a lot.. controlling the car,, graphics is awesome..

princeton princeton said:

pgcharlie said:

You mean that piss poor bug of a game that has poor texture/model work in addition to the terrible engine it runs on?

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

""Best Electric Renaissance Minstrel Band with Paranoid Delusions of Shakespearhood wearing Cod Pieces."

You mean that's not a Grammy nominated category? :p

"I still play donkey kong, pacman, mrs pacman, galaga and defender all the time. Those games challenge a player on a level that these modern games don't."

Props.

Bummer they don't have online versions of those. Seriously, how hard would it be to have a two player game online just like the old days? You put yer quarters in and take your turns. Oh yeah, I'd add Crystal Castles and Joust to that list.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

princeton said:

Benny26 said:

princeton said:

I would have to argue that the hardest game ever made is the first Prince of Persia. Especially without saving...

Decimae said:

How do you mean, no minecraft?

I can't actually see why the non-indie games belong here, except angry birds which should have a 10th place or something.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I know it is not an constructive comment which adds anything to this thread, but hell I've never heard of this game before (not that I am an avid game follower anyway); may be people at Times have something similar in mind when they selected such title.

g4mer said:

I never even heard about Alan Wake lol. What game is that??

Arris Arris said:

TomSEA said:

Crystal Castles and Joust to that list.

Me and a friend completed Crystal Castles, as far as it could be completed.

The level counter only went to 99, then back to 0

veedubguy said:

Worst.list.ever...

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

princeton said:

pgcharlie said:

Was thinking the same thing, if there is one game that doesn't deserve to be on any "decent game" lists its this one.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I've got one and i've tryed it. The arcade games are crazy compared to the console equivalent. Like Golden Axe for the sega was a great old classic to enjoy playing but when you try the arcade version on the emulator...You get about 2 screens across and BAM "Insert Coin".

I'de have to agree the most difficult game ever made must be an arcade game somewhere.

killeriii said:

Me and a friend completed Crystal Castles, as far as it could be completed.

The level counter only went to 99, then back to 0

lol, i did that with Mr.Do once.

princeton princeton said:

lawfer said:

princeton said:

Benny26 said:

princeton said:

Lots of people have done prince of persia that way. Only 3 people have ever reached donkey kongs killscreen.

Whats with all of the hate. Alan Wake was a good game. It was something new and different to a genre that needed a kick. And whats with all this old school game talk? Is everyone in here 50? ok you can keep your crap graphics, no story, and just complete lack of a game. I agree they were much harder than todays games but still suck. Videogames have become more than just games, its like watching a movie now. Speaking of where is heavy rain on this list?

edison5do said:

THOSE GUYS ARE NOT GAMERS, THEY ARE MOVIE CRITICS, This game is good as the sametime feel like if you are watching a long run movie, its not esensialy what games are.

"princeton said:

I still play donkey kong, pacman, mrs pacman, galaga and defender all the time. Those games challenge a player on a level that these modern games don't. "

I was about to write a joke about you trying to sell me some chicken wings and trying to get me to watch a video of you playing Donkey Kong. Then I saw your post about Funspot...

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I was banned by the game shop from playing Galga :/

Cota Cota said: