Ubisoft: Sony will not be able to stop PS3 pirates

By on January 13, 2011, 1:15 PM
Ubisoft believes that Sony will not be able to combat piracy on the PlayStation 3, which was recently hacked. Martin Walfisz, former CEO of Ubisoft subsidiary Ubisoft Massive, was a key player in developing Ubisoft's new DRM technologies. Since playing pirated games doesn't require a modchip, his argument is that Sony won't be able to easily detect hacked consoles.

"If that hack works as reported, I don't believe that Sony can regain any control," Walfisz told GamesIndustry. "And given that it seems that users won't even need a hardware mod-chip to play pirated games, I don't believe that Sony can even detect which users to lock out from PSN. They could try to employ a similar system to Xbox Live, so that people running hacked systems won't have access to PSN. But Sony won't be able to stop people from running pirated game copies as long as the machines are not hooked up online. I would assume that pirated copies can be stored on the HDD as well, making it so easy to use that PS3 piracy, given time, might even surpass the handhelds."

Sony's only possible solution is to revise the PS3 hardware itself, which would be a very costly process. Changing the hardware could possibly work for new console sales, though there would be the problem of backwards compatibility with the already-released games. Furthermore, current users would still be able to run pirated copies on current hardware.

Last week, hackers publicly posted the PlayStation 3 root key, which is used for code signing games. The root key lets the PS3 know that a piece of software is legitimate, meaning other hackers can use it to make custom software or use pirated games. So far, Sony's only response has been to file a legal complaint against the hackers.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

for sure it will be hard for SONY, so it's about time the developers lend a hand & start to protect their games more until a true solution is found & let us pray real gamers are mature & honest enough not to steal other people's work ...

cheers!

lol ps3 is doomed and i am happy chappy........i can't wait to try out the emulators on my PS3 lol.

Define real gamer??

and maturity? since when does maturity involve purchasing?

pp is happy also ps3 deserves evrything coming..........ps3 sucks

captainawesome captainawesome said:

does anyone know if this root code leak will enable the use of other OS's again. If it means I can install XBMC on it - I'm all for it. I'll stick to PC gaming though - I hate console gaming

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Define real gamer??

and maturity? since when does maturity involve purchasing?

Because I guess that Robot dude you were replying to believes that it is more mature to buy games than download them for free.

Which to a degree, I agree with. I think the thing I hate most is second hand games though, mainly because the developers don't get any of that money. Maybe Microsoft, Sony etc... should find some way to kill second hand sales?

Anyway i'll shut up.

captainawesome captainawesome said:

Do you by chance happen to be a dev?

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Whatever solution Sony comes up with, I hope it can be defeated with a Sharpie.

The only way too stop this is for sony to issue CD-keys with all new software, Just like PC. Which has to be activated online or over the phone. That way the security is removed from the PS3 hardware and now is apart of each indiviual software app

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

captainawesome said:

Do you by chance happen to be a dev?

Nope, i'm a remote support technician for multiple companies in the UK

edison5do said:

I dont know whay you think, but as I live in a 3 world conuntry I can Assure you lots of people was waiting for this moment, due to the fact that they cannot afford pay for every game they want, now they will get the ps3 Hack it and done!..... This will make the PS3 the best selling console just like the PS2. 100 millions 80% hacked, THIS IS REALLY BAD FOR DEVELOPERS BUT NOT FOR SONY, IT WILL SELL MORE... Just my though...cheerrss!!

Mizzou Mizzou said:

This is not good for Sony because game developers will now be concerned about mass pirating on the PS3. Depending on who's numbers you believe the install base for the PS3 as of last November was approximately 42 million consoles. Even if Sony modifies the hardware on new consoles this will only be a small percentage of the total install base for a long time to come. Complicating matters even further is the fact that the PS3 now has a lot of competition from increasingly affordable Blu-Ray players. While the PS3 is certainly a capable Blu-Ray player (I own the original) there are now plenty of viable alternatives that integrate better with most home theater systems.

Creating unique CD-keys is one possible stop gap, but this will also increase overhead for the developer which in turn could lead to higher game prices for the PS3. Hopefully, Sony can pull a rabbit out of the hat and find a way to resolve this that does not require a hardware modification.

Tanstar said:

Define real gamer??

and maturity? since when does maturity involve purchasing?

I think his point is that stealing is immature. Lots of other good reasons to want to unlock a PS3 though that are perfectly mature and legal.

Time to release a PS4? :P

I don't think pirating games is effective yet due to the size of the games. So Sony just need to stop big HDDs being made >.>

So now that piracy is now gonna be rampant on all 3 platforms (PC,Xbox360,PS3)

Does it mean you guys and start making PC games again to actual use our hardware and not hide behind the piracy Bullshit!

O wait I just woke up from a dream where the dev's actually gave a ****.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Those who were going to pirate it wouldn't have bought the game anyway. You prob won't be able to go online a hacked game so most games in which online are important will sell very well anyway. This just means now you can have emulators on your ps3. Also im sure a PS2 emulator wil be very popular. The biggest thing to understand is you can run 360 emulators and wii ones aswell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PS3 is going to destroy in console sales, and software sales will prob just remain the same % wise. It truly will be able to do everything now lmao

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

I LOLed at Robot dude ! Thank you burty117

I meant that piracy is bad for developers & gamers alike, we may think like if someone wasn't going to buy a game in the first place then decide to steal it, makes no difference, well it does.

I'm talking about those who sell modded consoles with bunch of free games (i\m not talking about downloads anymore for games are 4, 10, 25 & up to 50 Gb NOW & i work for an ISP, i know what are being prepared to track the usage ... BEWARE!)

Only someone immature won't see the implication of piracy, to everyone i've talked only or offline, those supporting hacking have same thing in common: hiding behind the hypocrisy of homebrew & do whatever we want with our purchased material.

I just wish that someday those same become artists / developers / movie-makes in their future !

homebrew never brought killer apps to anything, what do we want 8-32 pixelated games on an HD console when it's far better on a mobile one. do we want fake scanners / fart generators & flashlight for the PS3 ... if the homebrewers bring me something as good as indie games or even bad movie-tie in like games i would say WOW!

the PC is great for homebrew, just stop hiding the true intentions of stealing ... it hurs the gaming industry, soon you will find out.

well i guess it's no use trying to convince some, i'll say good luck & wish SONY & developers do find a way to stop this & it's not a matter of whose platform is better ... it's all about the games !

cheers!

Buy out GeoHot ... let SONY hire him by giving him an offer he can't refuse and let GeoHot work in SONY's Anti Piracy Dept. LOL

Slightly offtopic. While devs accuse PC of piracy and they probably have good statistics behind it. I'm more pissed of devs like EA screwing their PC users with poor performance and poor quality titles. Battlefield bad company 2 was good example of sluggish performance on PC. Black ops was good example of impossible online play until 5 patches. So please tell me the PC end user, who would LIKE to BUY the overpriced 50 pound(because for them 1pound=1usd) game, I'm left with something unplayable/unenjoyable and throwing my money out of the window. To add insult to the injury there are usually no demos! So what are my options - piracy?

So as far as this topic is concerned, as every platform is hacked now, I am hopeful this will change the tune of developers hiding behind the piracy bullshit.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not and i apologize ahead of time if you are but do you really want this digital only future they are pushing for where you own none of your games, can't recoup the cost of what you spent on them and can never get used games cheaper? I don't know about you but until i started making money i always subsidized new consoles by selling the old one and the games with it.

yRaz yRaz said:

This wont change anything, more people still have consoles than PC.

The OtherOS option is made redundant. You can sign ANYTHING on the system. Nothing to stop you signing another OS and booting it directly.

"source" for that sweeping statement?

think you may find pc's out number consoles by quite a wide margin

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

@ Guest / on January 13, 2011 2:26 PM :

I never said the word 'purchasing' but insist on 'not to steal' ... for if it's free, well it's free !!!

cheers!

Could this allow viruses to be made for the PS3?

Honestly, I really wouldn't want to risk the chance of being banned from PSN, Its not really worth it IMO. I mean sure the HomeBrew stuff is cool but only for a little bit.

I hate Sony. They can rot in hell for all I care.

princeton princeton said:

The piracy argument is BS. TomSEA is the only person who actually believes it. Devs don't care for PC because consoles have more revenue. Not because of piracy, because of number of users.

It's a shame it's all Sony's fault for limiting what was advertised on the consoles. They removed features that was available on shipping, geohot did a service for the consumers by releasing the key to regain what features you were promised and paid for, so in the end Sony shot themselves in the foot, and they deserve anything negative that comes this.

yowanvista yowanvista said:

Pirates are always ahead, whatever anyone will do it will never affect them...

its crazy to think that Sony could even prevent whats happened. As you can already see they don't know what to do nor can they really do anything. Taking the gifted hackers to court wont stop anything and attempting to take down all the content thats used for hacking is far fetched. it's like throwing a pebble at the hulk lol (hulk being the unstoppable piracy). I hacked my ps3 slim within the hour of geohot releasing his cfw. i'm now running my backed up games, which i own. Within the same day, tools for signing your own packages were released and hombrew starting popping up. the next day the whole ps3 scene put their minds together and found a way to play games through eboots. Now 1 week after geohot's cfw release, hundreds of games have eboots posted around the internet with instructions that my 8 year old brother can follow. Today i saw that most forums have now added ps3 sections to there downloads and the ease of posting the games up on the net is crazy! i truly agree with Martin Walfisz's comments, and i do think ps3 piracy is going to be the biggest scale of piracy the gaming world has ever seen. Everyone has been waiting for this console to be hacked. This all is Sony's own doing!!! they took off otherOS which got me PISSED and other hackers even more pissed. So, they all focused on the ps3... HA! Sony... now we can have native MKV support, watch blurays without worrying about regions, install OS, change our browsers turn our ps3 into a supercomputer or a BBQ grill and none the least play backed up games. I just hope games will continue to be released.

Sony asked for this when they took away the OtherOS functionality, haxorz didn't concentrate on breaking it till they took that away. Surely enough less than 6 months of taking that function away and the system is broken.

AnonymousSurfer AnonymousSurfer said:

Why am I not surprised?

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

to those who said it was because SONY removed features like otherOS, you should try stop using this argument for even if wasn't justified to my taste & caused me big troubles while i wasn't using this feature (had to backup all data & recover my reserved space), it was because of Geohot's attempt to hack the system with Linux that it was removed ! & if you come with reasons like we use it for programming & the Air forcer bought it as cheap alternative to build clusters, well you had the choice not to update & keep the feature & i'm sure for the Air force they didn't need the update!

homebrew: hypocritical way of stating you want piracy, for, sorry if repeating here, i never saw a really good homebrew killer app, for me it is equal to : cheats / virus / fart generators / fake scanners / virtual torch light ... etc ... just come with something worth it for once ...

i just don't understand why people want a major gaming console to be more than just a console & risk losing so much, but i'm sure the real reason would be that people doesn't care about other people's work, so i'm sorry, let's call a cat.. a cat here, you want the hack for piracy & you deserve to be punished like any thief & sure hope not just the ban hammer, but legal actions are taken against anyone involved!

just put what you 'somewhat WANT' & 'NEED' the PS3 to do & check out if it's not already doing so ....

Zone limitations & MKV support, WOW that's all ! Region free disc exists & MKV isn't used anywhere else except illegal copies of movies / TV series on the web (& this is about to be monitored & tracked soon) & it's not even a multimedia format but a package file ... if it wasn't for licensing issues i'm sure the support can be added legally by SONY.

What's pathetic is the same 'somewhat not mature or intelligent request' we see ... like as if all those wanting this are kids under 12, sorry, i know some kids who prefer their PSN or XBLA for online gaming, so i'm sure it's more a pathologic issue with some adults who deserve the true reality of hacking : no more online, no more peace of mind, no more bonuses & new games, no more support & friends not lending you anything or become victims too, when soon you release something you created & see others enjoying without you getting a dime, you suffer the cheaters & the virus infections & you may even experience identity theft for this is what hacking is & this is what piracy & hacking brings ...

i'm sure the PS3 can become a pirated system, worst than the PSP, but on the other hand, knowing what's cooking in some big ISP's kitchen, i wouldn't really bet on that, beware people for like i always say, there's reality & the perception of reality ...to this ...have a nice day / night / week ...

cheers!

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I hate Sony. They can rot in hell for all I care.

Awww that's not very nice. Someone obviously didn't get that playstation on that christmas morning i see.

"source" for that sweeping statement?

think you may find pc's out number consoles by quite a wide margin

But most PC's are not bought for the purpose of gaming...Take the thousends of computers trapped in offices around the world, their only job being to mince a few numbers. Poor soles, never getting used to their full potential