Windows 98 traffic higher than Windows Phone 7 traffic?

By on January 14, 2011, 3:07 PM
Chitika, a Web advertising company, has posted some interesting graphs that show Windows Phone 7 isn't doing so well. After analyzing data from more than 100,000 websites and about 3 billion monthly ad impressions in their advertising network, Chitika has concluded that visits from users running Windows 98 is still almost double the visits from Windows Phone 7 users.

Windows 98 grabbed about 0.019 percent of all traffic on Chitika's ad network at the beginning of January. By contrast, Windows Phone 7 secured a little less than 0.010 percent market share.

WP7 is still very new, and it is growing, but not very quickly. In December, WP7 was sending about 0.40 percent as much traffic as iPhone and Android (combined). At present, that number has risen slightly, to an average of 0.44 percent.

While we realize that Chitika's conclusion is a grab for attention, it still makes us wonder about Windows Phone 7's progress. Even after what LG said about the Windows Phone 7 launch, we still find this data surprising. Last month, Microsoft announced it sold 1.5 million Windows Phone 7 devices to retailers, but wouldn't say how many of those consumers had actually purchased.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Even accepting that Windows Phone 7 isn't doing so well, this still surprises me. I've got a dual boot system with WinME and Ubuntu and anything online is so limited with Win9x. FF3 doesn't work, Opera doesn't work, IE is limited to 6. I do realize there are some specific apps at businesses that might still require 9x to run, but I wouldn't expect those boxes to be doing much online other than sending data/email to something else in their business/company.

gobbybobby said:

Most websites won't display correctly in Windows 98, hell they may even work better on the win mobile, but wow a fair few still use W98.

WOW! Almost 1/100th of 1 percent.

I would think advertisers would still love to market their stuff to WP7 users, hey they were stupid enough to buy Windows Phone 7, they will be stupid enough to buy our products too.

TD25x TD25x said:

How many phones run Win98?

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I have my hd7 and the web browser is awesome. But its still missing flash, Silverlight, multitasking and copy&paste.

You can't use it as a Satnav yet either.

Until it has most of these features I can't see it changing much. Shame, I'm bit kidding but the browser on my hd7 is so fast , clear and the screen large, its like a tablet. Shame so few are using it.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I meant I'm not kidding, not bit kidding. Anyway best mobile browser yet imo

JudaZ said:

An Symbian then? Still the biggest player of them all, Chitika just forgot about them?

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Considering that I use the browser on my Samsung Focus very little compared to my computer's browser, I don't read into this too much. I'm on the Internet a LOT, but it's much easier and faster to do it with a keyboard and larger screen with a browser that supports all types of media and web forms. It would be nice if Chitika showed the percentages of ALL OSs, but then I think it would put it in context thereby making it even more obvious that they're just trying to make noise and headlines.

And what the heck is an ad impression anyway??

krayzie said:

who the hell is running 98? wtf?

And what the heck is an ad impression anyway??

An "ad impression" is when a particular ad shows up on a user's screen allowing for the possibility for an "ad click" where the user then clicks on that ad.

AnonymousSurfer AnonymousSurfer said:

Sad but believable...

treeski treeski said:

The internet connection on my phone is used more for e-mail or looking up specific, occasional information on the go. I never use the browser on my phone to... "browse" (or at least very rarely).

hynesy hynesy said:

You my friend get +1 for a stupid, ill-informed comment. I own a WP7 after owning both an Android 2.2 and iOS4 device and so far much, much prefer it even without cut/copy and paste.

Leeky Leeky said:

Kudos to you then, I wouldn't give up my Android phone for anything, after owning a iPhone its a breath of fresh air tbh.

I can't really comment on the Windows phone really, as not used, owned or even touched one.

aj_the_kidd said:

W7 will probably better in a couple of years but for now Android does what i need it to do, I'll stick with Android as well.

What a stupid comparison is this!?!

Windows 98 is a desktop OS, WP7 is Mobile!

And Win 98 doesn't support any of the new stuff like browsers, so accessing websites won't be easy either...

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

^ Thats the whole point Guest - Win98 despite not being able to run anything modern, and being 12-13 years old, still has a larger online presence than Microsoft's attempt at a Phone OS.

Windows 98, especially 98 SE and ME do support modern browsers [Firefox 3.6.13, Opera 11] and other new/NTx-only software, like Adobe, Open Office, games, etc, including recent Flash releases, with KernelEx installed [free GPL, open source]:

Please research and learn before posting nonsense:

Extensive community driven [knowledgeable professionals who dedicate their spare time] support, updates/fixes/patches, guidance + help are available for free for all Win9x users at MSFN forums:

[membership is 100% free, no-spam policy strictly enforced].

You're COMPLETELY missing the point: WP7 generating less traffic than an obsolete piece of **** worthless OS that's over a decade old.

Probably older general users (age 50+) on their old computers and older computer hobbyists are using Windows 98.

I have both Windows 98 and WinXP on my computer, but prefer Win98 for internet access, much higher safety from malware. The key support/community site for Win98 is http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=8

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Please research and learn before posting nonsense:

[membership is 100% free, no-spam policy strictly enforced].

I did know of that. But its not posting "nonsense" when you have to install an unofficial, open source add on to your OS to get programs to run. On top of that, I've got it installed on my dual boot Ubuntu/WinME machine and the patch isn't the miracle cure you are making it out to be. Programs still don't run quite right. When you have to do registry edits to get some programs to run that goes above the amount of effort most people want to put forth. Running Windows 2000 would be a much better option.

@krayzie/#11: People who don't have the intelligence to adapt to anything newer, that's who. Times change, electronics change, computers change, how we use electronics and computers change, software changes. It's called progress and innovation.These people don't understand it and would like to pretend it's still 1995.

Well progress cannot be stopped but it's good to make open HW and SW standards and keep them for compatability to prevent endless loop of data conversion, and trashing and buying new peripherals etc. But it's not the economy interest. Some people like increase amount of sells and shorten the lifetime. It's rotating spiral going to singularity :)