Weekend Open Forum: Your favorite video game genre

By on January 14, 2011, 6:51 PM
We’ve got an article coming up next week that we hope will help you keep track of some of the most anticipated PC game releases for 2011. Like we did last year, we’ll be listing around 30 titles spanning nearly every genre alongside their expected release date and other relevant information. From the looks of it, gamers are in for another great year, with most of 2010’s delayed titles finally hitting store shelves and many other anticipated games making their debut.

The role-playing genre seems to be getting quite a few proponents this year, with several of them focusing on massively multiplayer online gameplay, and of course there won’t be any shortage of fast-paced first-person shooting action with Crysis 2 and Duke Nukem Forever – we’re crossing our fingers for that last one. Besides telling us what games you’re looking forward to the most, this week we want to know what’s your favorite type of game.

In the embedded poll below we’ve included a list with some the most common video game genres – which we simplified for practical reasons, as game categories can get really specific nowadays. You can tick one or more options, and of course if we’ve missed something or you want to elaborate feel free to sound off in the comments.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Shooters when I'm tired, strategy when I'm not.

mailpup mailpup said:

Shooters first and RTS second although my all time favorite game is the RTS game Homeworld.

g4mer said:

FPS and fighting !

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

Now what would music games go under...?

princeton princeton said:

hellokitty[hk] said:

Now what would music games go under...?

Like audiosurf?

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

i think she means like band hero and such...

shooters and racing games... i am terrible at RTS

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

I've updated the poll with an "other" option (it should be visible soon).

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I guess it would be easier for me to say which genres I don't care for - sports, platforms and the above mentioned music/dance games. Other than those, my gaming library pretty much covers it all with a heavy emphasis on the hybrid shooter/rpg's like Fallout, Mass Effect, Bioshock, etc.

grvalderrama said:

RTS all the way and beyond!

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

EXCellR8 said:

i think she means like band hero and such...

shooters and racing games... i am terrible at RTS

Oh c'mon Ex....Metro 2033 is your all time favorite :p

Recycle said:

I picked other for music/rhythm games.

My obscure favorites aside, DDR is still pretty popular.

treeski treeski said:

Action / Adventure

Puzzle (Only a favorite in the case of Portal, which is arguably a FPS)

RPG / MMORPG

Shooter

Zirotek Zirotek said:

I tend to lean towards FPS as a force of habbit these days but honestly, enough with the military shooters.... arcade racers like Burnout revenge and NFS:HP (yeah im a criterion fanboy) are good to break it up but even they can get a little tiresome.

PSN and XBLA games are becoming the new breeding place for innovative ideas and concepts for games (on consoles that is.. i never got into PC gaming but im guessing the equivelent would be steam) ... That Game Company have really come up with some unique concepts and I really enjoyed playing through flower and am looking forward to their next game Journey because it does get tiresome looking down the barrel of a gun.

Favourite Genre - Arcade, theres always something new and different out.

With games like Pacman CE, Geometry wars, Super Stardust HD, Flower, Dead Nation, how can you not like arcade ... unless you're prone to seizures. Graphics are nice, but give me gameplay over graphics anyday. Even CoD :BO had its own secret title menu arcade game which was awesome.

As you can tell ... not much of a pc gamer.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

I usually follow shooters and sports games, maybe because neither genre requires complete time commitment but can be enjoyed in shorter bursts. That said, a handful of my favorite all time games have also been RTS, platformers and even puzzle games.

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

I play anything that's good in the genre. Except perhaps hardcore simulation.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Shooters for me, mainly FPS but third-person also depending on story and game play.

Yad Yad said:

FPS and RPG,sometimes strategy

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

depends on the platform

PC - Everything, but mostly MMOs & Strategy

Console - Action / Adventure & Car racing

Mobile - Puzzles

If i had to define the 2 most favorite genre: Diablo Like & God of War Like LOL

'hey ... it's all about G.A.M.I.N.G !!!'

cheers!

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Role Play for me....I love a good story

I prefer MMO's. I have been playing games for 20+ years, and find that the quality of games goes up, the length of the game shrinks, and I complete it shortly there after. The joy of MMO's is that they never truely have an ending. I've jumped from WoW, EQ, and such and located EvE which is holding my interest now.

Route44 Route44, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

RPGs - first and foremost but NOT hack and slash. H&S are real snoozers... Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Divine Divinity, the Gothic Series, NWN 1 and 2, Morrowind, to name a few of what I prefer.

RTS - the C&C universe is my favorite.

AnonymousSurfer AnonymousSurfer said:

MMORPG's are the bomb... World of Warcraft specifically.

NickV said:

I like Shooter gaming

DokkRokken said:

Whatever genre Just Cause 2 is.

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

DokkRokken said:

Whatever genre Just Cause 2 is.

Sandbox shooter I'd say

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Julio said:

That's why I play MMORPG's.

The title of the discussion is "Your favorite video game genre", but what games I enjoy is one thing, and what games I like is another. Of course I like the games I play (wouldn't be fun otherwise), but I'm not playing stuff I like, and might like even more than what I am playing, because I've gone casual and don't have a lot of time to dedicate to gaming.

I used to love strategy games, both realtime and turn based, but they're a real time drain. My longest even gaming session was about 17 hours playing Heroes of Might & Magic III some ten years ago (or a little more). This is one genre that I've pretty much stopped buying recently, even when it's heavily discounted on Steam. I do own but have yet to play HoMM 5 and King's Bounty: The Legend.

I love RPG's (Planescape: Torment is certainly in the running for my favourite game ever), but have also somewhat stopped playing them, because they can be long and require to remember the plot and mechanics, which is hard when not playing much. That's where MMORPG's come it, as they tend to have shorter story lines and often simpler mechanics. I go for "free to play" ones so I don't feel like I'm wasting $15 a month not playing. I wish City of Heroes had something like that, since I love that game and think it's great for casual play.

I used to play a lot of adventure games, I think I just lost some of the patience required to play them. I did enjoy a subgenre of them recently, the hidden object games. They're a more casual variety, that still has a story and puzzles, but has in-game hints and shorter play. Plus they have real applications in real life, for example finding the toddler's bottle amongst the toys.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

@ET3D - I see what you mean, i too have the problem to find time to play all the games i have on my main two platforms & ended playing CoH more often for can come back to any missions anytime & only TFs last longer than 3hours ... (did a 1 & 1/2 yester-nite ... :S ... now complete Out of Service :P)

Yet don't like F2P for it attracts too many not necessarily interesting players ... it could plague the game, i just wish they would go with cheaper gaming cards for shorter periods like a 1$/day kind of card, will cost more than 15 for a month but u can allow casual games to come & play then leave!

cheers!

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

RPG and Action - I can't stand waiting for my turn like in most RPG's, getting steamrolled good, waiting for my turn still. Thus, Mass Effect, and Mass Effect 2, really sums up my favourite genre's!

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I just noticed I wrote something really stupid: "what games I enjoy is one thing, and what games I like is another". Should have been "what games I play is another".

edison5do said:

I would put RPG, but as Real (Old Style) RPG's basically dissapear, I did not, Because I really dont like the MMORPG and every company that has good RPG's on their wallet are looking to options or resources to make it a MMORPG, and not everybody like that.. sighs... Squar....Ubi.... Im gonna cry Now..

emmzo said:

In this order:

MMORPG: Guild Wars

RPG:Mass Efect 2

RTS: Starcraft 2

Cheers!

I used to play Shooter and Strategy a long time ago. After getting hooked up on MMORPG, there is no going back ;)