YouTube starts rolling out new homepage to all

By on January 20, 2011, 2:30 PM
After testing a redesign of its homepage via "countless user studies and community surveys," YouTube has begun rolling it out to all of its users. The experimental homepage was first tried by millions of users who wanted to give it a whirl, and while not everyone loved it, Google says that most people thought the new homepage was better than the old one. The new homepage's aim is to be personally more relevant.

To do so, Google has removed some of the less-used modules such as "Videos Being Watched Now" and moved modules like "Spotlight" and "Featured Videos" to the right side. This makes room for a combined list of personally relevant videos made up of recommendations for the user, his or her subscriptions activity, and videos being shared by his or her friends.

Google lists the following enhancements offered by the new homepage for logged-in users only:

• Increased focus on videos that matter to you (subscriptions, friend's sharing, recommendations)
  • You can easily filter your homepage to show only the latest uploads from your subscriptions
  • Don't miss anything; if a channel uploads four videos in a day, you'll see all four - instead of just the latest video
  • Quick access to the inbox when you have new messages or comments
  • Knows what you have seen (videos you've watched are grayed out)
  • Remove any video (hover and click the "x" button)

Can you seen the new homepage, and if so, do you like it?

Jurassic4096 said:

i dont like the new layout. its actually worse than the new facebook layout by far. you have to scroll so much to see your subscription videos, and they arent even grouped. well they are, but you could have say, (in my case), break.com at the top with some videos, then scroll down, and there is break.com again with more videos.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I do see it as a little bit more cloggy to be honest...How many times do people say "if it aint broke, don't fix it". Nobody ever seems to learn.

freedomthinker said:

I don't know , i have no problems with it , im just a regular youtube user that watches and comments occasionaly . Maybe most people that don't like it , are probably very prone to change , they probably find it hard to adapt to new things ;]

WildEast said:

horrible page imo, totally like the first one

matrix86 matrix86 said:

I have no problem adapting to change, but the new homepage is a huge mess. I liked how all my subscription uploads were in the same place, as well as my recommended videos. Everything was clean and together. Now it's just thrown out everywhere. I don't want to see what the people I subscribed to are watching. I don't care what they favorited or voted on. They should at least give us an option to select what we do and don't want displayed on our homepage.

As I said, I have no problem with change and embrace it, but my homepage went from being orderly and clean to nothing but a complete mess.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I agree with Matrix, change can be good but this seems more like a mess then anything else. Youtube should let us organize our own homepage like iGoogle then we won't have to deal with irrelevant stuff that doesn't interest us.

princeton princeton said:

Judging by the amount of criticism it's getting I'd say they should roll back.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

princeton said:

Judging by the amount of criticism it's getting I'd say they should roll back.

If Facebook is any indication, you'll know this'll never happen.They'll use the same excuse Facebook used which is they are trying to be more social by giving you more views of your friends/subscribers/subcriptions or some crap like that.

I do agree it should be like iGoogle, where it's very customizable. I could find a better way to mix the old view and the new view to meet my personal needs.

Nima304 said:

I don't understand why social network sites don't have a variety of layouts the end users can choose from.

63Jax said:

don't like it either! it's chaos out there.

windmill007 said:

I didn't like the one before and I don't like the new one either...I just search for what I want..Maybe someday they will have a cool front page..>Looks like a bunch of crap to me.....Is it suppose to be helpful in some fashion?