More details emerge about Intel's Cougar Point chipset flaw

By on February 1, 2011, 8:30 AM
More specifics of the problem affecting Intel's 6 Series chipset (codenamed Cougar Point) have emerged courtesy of Anandtech. Speaking with Steve Smith, VP and Director of Intel Client PC Operations and Enabling, the site was able to confirm that the fault affects both P67 and H67 chipsets, pin-pointing the problem to a transistor that's connected to the 3Gbps SATA II ports.

Cougar Point has two sets of SATA ports: four that support 3Gbps operation and two that support 6Gbps. For the first set Intel states that performance of SATA-linked devices "may degrade over time". However, since 6Gbps SATA III circuits have their own independent clocking trees these ports will be unaffected by the problem.

Apparently an OEM that was testing the platform with extreme heat and voltage environments originally discovered the problem and reported it back to Intel. The chip giant believes that no end users have been affected so far -- and even if they are at least data loss isn't a problem. Intel estimates that the failure rate over a 3-year system life would be about 5%, which is high enough for the company to stop shipments and work on a silicon fix.

Current 6-series motherboard owners worried about performance issues are advised to try and only use ports 0 and 1 (the 6Gbps ports) until they can get a replacement or fix. Of course, for those with more than a couple of drives this will be impossible to do, but thankfully many motherboard makers often support additional SATA ports through third-party chipsets, or on a PCI-E SATA or RAID controller, and these will remain unaffected.

The scenario is a little less clear for Sandy Bridge notebooks since they don't usually have a lot of storage bays and thus don't always use all of the ports a chipset offers. If the design only uses SATA ports 0 and 1 then the end user would never encounter an issue and models currently in the pipeline shouldn't be affected by any delays, at least in theory.

leondobr said:

The real question - what will they do for customers?

I bought an ASRock P67 Extreme4 motherboard and Intel 2600K chip. This thing overclocks to 4.847GHz stable and runs SuperPi 1M in 7.691s. They will only get this rig out of my cold, dead hands. Overclocking depends heavily on the particular motherboard and chip, as well as the positioning and make of the heatsink. I got lucky and everything came together perfectly! First time ever to max out everything!

I have an SSD on SATA port 0 and a fast 1 TB drive on port 1. The seldomly used DVD player is on port 5. E-SATA is on both the OEM SATA ports. Only the DVD may possibly be affected if anything ever goes wrong with the SATA II connector, and nothing may.

So, what are they going to do to replace this board or fix it? I'd be happy if they just sent me a free PCIe SATA controller in case I ever need it and maybe a coupon good towards a future product.

mcmurphy12 mcmurphy12 said:

I only have two drives and they are both connected to 3Gbps SATA ports. If I move them to ports 0 and 1 they will still work, right?

Arris Arris said:

leondobr said:

I'd be happy with a tube of thermal compound and sending me a replacement board BEFORE I send my one back.... but yes, I'm enjoying my machine, had the last one for almost 4 years. Not looking forward to sitting with everything but the motherboard for weeks :S

zillion said:

mcmurphy12 said:

Yes they will work perfectly, just note that we still talking about a 5% decrease over a 3 year lifespan and even then u still have to be a super user on hdd workload, so i seriously doubt many ppl will be affected since u prolly replace your current newly pruchased mobo within that limit.

Staff
Jos Jos said:

It's not a 5% decrease in performance, but rather an estimated 5% failure rate. In other words, besides the performance issues which you may or may not experience, there is a chance that during normal use some of the 3Gbps ports will stop working altogether over the course of 3 years.

mcmurphy12 mcmurphy12 said:

Well, I don't plan on having more than two drives in this computer anyway, so if I do run into issues I will probably just move them to the other ports. If, for whatever reason, I decide to expand, I will probably just purchase a PCIe SATA controller.

This kind of issues, make sense on wait for next geration CPU or Ivy Bridge possible later this year.

I think, it isn't good hurry to buy sonthink with a fail.... Yes, I will wait for the Ivy Bridge on 22 nm.

Tick-tock-tick-crash...

I am so glad that I moved over to AMD, even if their performance is not as great.

Mmmm.... FAIL!

princeton princeton said:

The issue will barely affect any intel users. If they hadn't owned up it probably wouldn't have become a widespread issue in the future.

mcmurphy12 mcmurphy12 said:

Still an Intel user. AMD has failed too many times for me in the past. I think it was great that Intel did own up and didn't let it slide.

princeton princeton said:

mcmurphy12 said:

Has anyone noticed a continued trend of flawed technology products? The iphone 4 had too many to list, the galaxy s has a flawed gps chip and the Bell versions have dying internal SDs. We have the android 2.2 issue where it sends texts to the wrong contact. We have the Notion ink Adam being bricked. Now we have this issue.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Gigabyte motherboards have a 3 year warranty.

Hopefully the failure will time itself to the day before the 3 years expire, not the day after.

leondobr said:

Ports 0 and 1 are the SATA III ports. Ports 2 thru 5 are the SATA II ports. This should be mentioned in the article, it was on AnandTech. Also the AS Rock manual.

Mizzou Mizzou said:

It also looks like Gigabyte is going pro-active in addressing this problem.

Gigabyte Stops shipping all 6-series motherboards

Gigabyte has halted all Sandy Bridge shipments and it's setting up an online program for all consumers who happened to buy a 6-series motherboard.

Gigabyte noted that the SATA issue would eventually affect about five percent of all users over the course of three years, so there doesn't to be much to worry about in the short term.

The company has set up call centres and users are advised to visit http://ggts.gigabyte.com for online support.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I have nothing concrete to base this on, but I will take a shot.

1) I would wager that the in the interest of getting new tech out the door, testing time has shortened, and 'artificial aging' has not been perfected yet.

2) It has been speculated that 11-16 nm is the theoretical limit for transistors as we know them, (and we are getting down there) I have read that every shrink it becomes exponentially more difficult to control gate length.

....Just a theory

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

I have nothing concrete to base this on, but I will take a shot.

....Just a theory

1) I agree

2) Will probably become more of a problem with gating in CPU's. The Intel SATA controller transistor fault probably wouldn't factor in here as the controller is built on the 65nm process used for the previous (P55/X58) platforms.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

1)The Intel SATA controller transistor fault probably wouldn't factor in here as the controller is built on the 65nm process used for the previous (P55/X58) platforms.
So, if we were to draw a conclusion, should the older P55-X58 platforms succumb to this fault also, or is it specifically inherent to the new chipsets?

Probably not as much as the comsumer's greed for more tech products sooner has gone up.

When you mix the two, it starts to become a "chicken or the egg" paradigm.

So, which came first, more buying, or less testing. I think that's how that would go.

I

"Artificial Aging", is normally accomplished through accelerated UV exposure, and heating and cooling cycles.

So, it works far better with a product intended for outdoor use, than an indoor product such as computer. You can only overheat a semiconductor so much, or else it fails. So, thermal cycling loses a great deal of its efficacy also. Beyond that, any thing else that might be attempted, causes excursions far beyond normal operating parameters, thus perhaps nullifying many of the results.

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

Princeton said:

Has anyone noticed a continued trend of flawed technology products?... Has the worlds standards for quality gone down by so much in the past couple of years?

You're probably right in some ways because I feel like there's a culture of "We'll fix it with a software update later".

However, problems like these have always been there, but now they are produced on an even more massive scale, integrally affect our lives more than ever and publicized like never before. The level of effort gone into quality control probably hasn't gone down, but as things become more complex, QC probably hasn't increased accordingly.

We also have a problem with sensationalized media and the speed at which information moves these days (twitter, blogs and their ilk). Bugs like the iPhone's alarm clock not working after New Year's would have NEVER made the news 10 years ago. It's silly and non-consequential to the vast majority of the world.... but boy do we ever hear about it... and from multiple sources.. multiple times a day.

I remember a long string of much more serious issues from long ago ranging from the MTH bug on i820 boards (Pentium III... affected millions of computers around 2000) to massive recalls from manufacturers like Dell, HP and others due to bad caps, faulty batteries, defective GPUs and god knows what else (pick any year for the past 20 years). The IBM "DeathStar" incident (affected multiple brands, actually around 2003), RRODing Xboxes (circa 2006), data loss on Intel-based VIA chipsets (2002ish) during heavy PCI load and.... You get the picture.

You can go futher back in to the 90s and remember gems like the (infamous) Pentium FDIV bug (1995), Pentium III 600Mhz recall due to stability issues (1999), laughable amounts of battery/AC adapter recalls from all brands (all the time), various CRT recalls for catching on fire, tons of vehicle recalls (every year for decades) and much more, I'm sure.

princeton princeton said:

Rick said:

Princeton said:

But look at video games. Nowadays they're filled with bugs because they can just be patched up later. You could argue that games in the past were more simple, but Smash Bros Brawl for the wii is just as complex as a call of duty game. And it suffers from very few bugs, none of which disturb gameplay. In my opinion this is because games on the wii typically can't be updated.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I would think that communication and coordination between individuals, departments, and yes, computers, are issues that effect QC dramatically.

I think I read that it took about 130 employees to pump the yearly issue of, "Madden Football" out the door. Look how many it takes Intel to pump out a chipset.

Competition between makers also gas to effect QC. "We gotta get it to market before the other guy gets his to market", doesn't seem like a fertile ground to allow perfect QC to spring up.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

As I understand it, the problem is peculiar to the Sandy Bridge controller only. Tinkering/tweaking with the controller during the redesign process ( from exclusive SATA 3Gb to SATA 3Gb + 6Gb).

I'm still at a loss to understand why Sandy Bridge owners are supposedly stampeding to get their boards returned. I've only put together two SB systems (one Asus, one Gigabyte) and as far as I can tell from contacting the support sites, neither company has yet organised a schedule for RMA since Chinese new year has effectively shut down most of Asia.

Common sense might indicate that only users who like the idea of RAID but are too tightwad to invest in a hardware RAID card are probably the only users who have the potential to be majorly inconvenienced. Judging by the hysteria you'd think that the chipset was in danger of combusting and emitting Plutonium in some kind of alchemical transmutation.

I think you can guarantee that RMA's will be handled in batches as revised chipset deliveries come on stream -hopefully RMA's take prescedence over pushing new revision boards into the channel, but I suspect that most vendors will allocate stock to fulfil both areas.

The main concern going forward would be that the dodgy chipset boards already in circulation don't magically find their way into the resellers market or less scrupulous retail/etail stores.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

So, basically, early adopters are being victimized by their own impatience. Am, I correct in thinking these early glitches will be be attended to by the time most board revisions are released?

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

As far as I know the SATA issue is/was the only fly in the ointment. Sounds as if (given Intel's timeframe for controller revision) the transistor fault is already being rectified on chips at Intel's foundries- probably due to partially manufactured chips already in the process line having the revised metal layer(s) of the chip substituting for the faulty layers that would have been laid down.

The only sure thing at the moment is that the Z68 chipset boards ( onboard video out + overclocking friendly and the more eagerly awaited Rapid Storage Technology 10 for SSD's ) should be defect free when they launch in April(?).

As far as I'm aware the new revision boards should start appearing in a month or so. Made somewhat murkier no doubt by returned older (launch) revision 1.0 boards entering the channel after undergoing a swap de-soldering/re-soldering of storage controllers (and adding a valuble skill set for the younger initiates at Hon Hai no doubt).

To answer Captaincranky questions, yes and yes.

It's always the risk you take as an early adopter of any electronic device.

Hence, the conversation about poor quality releases of various hardware products over the last couple of years.

I agree, there's a trend. Apple used to be known for products that were not "buggie", now that's not so much the case anymore.

I like the chicken and the egg paradigm....good analogy. I think it's fitting :-)

And of course, the "we need to be first to market" statement's alway's been true.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

is part of this problem of faulty hardware have anything to do with (besides complexity and process size) intentionally having each portion worked on blind from the rest of the project for patent/design reasons? so...you know...Rambus doesn't sue them or something

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Gosh, do they still do that? I remember years ago on some news program, watching people decompile software, then handing the results to others to avoid possible infringement issues. I think the decompilers and their successors had to be "virgins", in the sense they had to have never seen the code before, have no idea what it was for, and on.

It was years and years ago, circa the IBM PC, which was being "cloned" and rebranded, or perhaps stolen if you will. The details are a bit fuzzy, after this length of time.

if nvidia would make chipset for "intel core i", then we would have an alternative ...

Thanks Intel for not allowing others to make chipsets for core i !!!

(sarcasm).

mcmurphy12 mcmurphy12 said:

I just got an e-mail from Newegg saying I could return my motherboard for a full refund. I find that pointless as I would have to wait for however long it takes to fix the flaw. Does anybody know if they will still accept the return when they come out with the fix?

The real cost of sandy bridge has been revealed?

Intel claims that the recall of the 8 million sandy bridge processors (or MoBos?) will cost it $700M. The simple calculation is that, on average, the cost of each unit is ~$43 (700/8/2)! Is that the real cost of the "most advanced" computer chips on earth?

mailpup mailpup said:

Have you considered asking Newegg?

5% of failure rate is too much for a computer system !

Thank Goodness AMD still exists.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

The real cost of sandy bridge has been revealed?

It's an I/O hub not a CPU. The whole board usually costs less than the CPU that resides in the socket. The LGA1155 family of boards differs very little from the LGA1156.

You might also bear in mind that the $700m charge will likely also include the cost of shipping returns (from individuals as well as bulk consignment from OEM/etail/retail/regional support warehousing), freighting replacement boards, desoldering and resoldering costs, labour charges, repackaging where applicable.

The ~$40 cost of the PCH is Intel's wholesale pricing, not the manufacturing cost.

"Intel estimates that the failure rate over a 3-year system life would be about 5%, which is high enough for the company to stop shipments and work on a silicon fix." 5% of failure rate is too much for a computer system !

Probably why Intel initiated a recall

mosu said:

Princeton said:

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Mosu said:

"------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------"

I think we caught that the first time around...when Princeton wrote it.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Ah, that's what happens when you try to translate the art(!) or mime to the (un)written word.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The biggest issue with the whole recall thing will be forced downtime on those systems already in use... Unless the vendors are willing to cross-ship a replacement board and have you send yours back, you have the disassembly, return shipping, waiting for new fixed board to arrive (however long that might take), reassembly and testing process. I can see why many would just forget about it and take their chances with the flawed products.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

That's probably going to be depandant upon where the board was purchased. Gigabyte have already come out and said that their boards will all be exchanged by the outlet that sold the board. I notice they are also offering a refund, although I can't see many people holding onto their CPU's when they cant plug them into a board.

Locally that means either cross-ship for the high profile/enthusiast retail/etail outfits, or overnight courier -which can turn into two days-for the standalone stores (or physically going to the location and doing the swap).

peas said:

captaincranky said:

Early adopters have always taken on the most risk. You're new to this tech thing aren't ya? :P

Mizzou Mizzou said:

Early adopters have always taken on the most risk ...

Absolutely, I have a very impressive collection of HD-DVD's to prove it ... they still work though. Someone has to drive the process by jumping on board, if you want to play with the new toys it's a risk you must be willing to take.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Not at all! I've Been around electronics for over 50 years, and here for 4 years and 5000 posts.

I enjoy watching people squander their money on new tech. You "early adopters", can pay off the R&D costs for me, I've got time.

Are you actually that proud of scarfing up what wind up to be prototypes?

If so, why all the moaning about having to send the junk back? If you have one of these defective motherboards, hang on to it. You can always try to pass it off as a "collector's item" on Ebay.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

But its part of my indefatigable spirit and charm..
If you say so.
"You're" a prince though, Jus' a showin' you how to use, "you're", in a sentence. Leading by example, I were! (Yeah I know, I should blow it out my asterisk)!

What happens when the Cougar Point" chipset logic fails, the computer sprays on your furniture?

and then attacks power walkers on walking paths.

So then, there isn't that big a downside after all?

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

That's some savage editing right there. Keeping up with what's left is akin to sitting through an Ingmar Bergman triple feature.

So in retospect:

Cougar Point is a fizzer for the time being...that's bad

Could put AMD on a more equal footing with Intel if both launch/re-launch in the same time...that's good

Cougar Point B2 chipset boards will likely become a ~100% RMA proposition...that's bad

Cougar Point B2 chipset boards can still be used for their intended purpose for the majority of users....that's good

red's spirit and charm are indefatigable (but are they indomitable?)....that's good.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Yeah, savage. The best part is there was no profanity, no flaming, just some humor. But then what good is humor at a tech forum. It's really just a bunch of people that like to argue, with one track minds. Oh, and let's not forget myriad useless guest posts that say, "but will it run Crysis". (Over and over and over, ad nauseum).

So, to recapitulate, capricious editing, based on very little necessity.

The humor seems to have been getting more interest than the thread, (judging by the hit count), which was pretty much dead, save for the argument between Princeton and Kibaruk, or was that in the "AMD drops their pants further on the price of CPUs" forum? It's so hard to keep up, same fight, different arena.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Yeah, savage. The best part is there was no profanity, no flaming, just some humor. But then what good is humor at a tech forum..

Ahhhh, I see. So i'm guessing you and G took a wander into OT territory.

BTW: Did you know that Ivy Bridge's chipset will be called Panther Point...after Cougar Point's detour into RMA-land maybe they should call it "Fat 'ol Housecat who sleeps 20 hours a day Point" -catchy, no?

It's really just a bunch of people that like to argue, with one track minds.

Hey, if Mom isn't going to show them any attention....

BTW: Apparently, Sandy Bridge being on hold means that everyone will be flocking to the iPad, because the tech world is engulfed in tablet fever (not to be confused with Saturday Night Fever) - and we all know that tablets are a natural substitute for desktop PC's and high-end laptops

...Oh, and let's not forget myriad useless guest posts that say, "but will it run Crysis". (Over and over and over, ad nauseum).

Ah, the old forced meme. noted for it's lack of notability!

BTW: Gigabyte have a software download that can help detect whether a users board will be affected by the faulty transistor bug

So, to recapitulate, capricious editing, based on very little necessity.

Capricious: Adjective of Chevrolet Caprice (Sh*v'rō'lay Kuh-prees) To be a workmanlike people mover of uninspired design......(or an Impala by any other name would smell as sweet)

The unintentional comedy quotient is quite high though. Personally I was hoping for a bite from the non-fanboy (amazing how well Google works when you refine the parameters)...oh well, there's always a next time....unfortunately

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

So in retospect:

Cougar Point is a fizzer for the time being...that's bad

Thats a 10!. i think I hear a position with Readers Digest beckoning Chef.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Thanks G, already there. Maybe you missed my riveting (condensed) articles; "I Am Joe's Thermal Compund" and "Isopropyl Alcohol is the Best Medicine"

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Does this mean that you two are not going to drop everything you're doing, and assuage my deep rooted, nagging fears, about the possible failure of a motherboard I don't actually own, and have no intention of buying?

Giving it some thought though, I wonder if I should submit my article, "DRAM, now available in Suppository", to the "Digest" as well....