Battlefield 1943, Bad Company 2 Onslaught cancelled for PC

By on February 3, 2011, 5:47 PM
Break out the tissues. DICE has just announced the cancellation of two anticipated PC projects: Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Onslaught. The former is a complete game that launched on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in July 2009, while the latter is a new game mode for Bad Company 2 released as downloadable content for consoles in June 2010.

Both were supposed to be available on PC in the near future but DICE has decided to halt development on the projects to focus its energy on a completely new title. "There comes a time when we as a studio have to choose where to best put our efforts," explained general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson. "This is one of those cross roads where I need to make a hard decision."

Although the developer will continue supporting Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and previous games, much of DICE's manpower will be allocated to the creation of Battlefield 3. The upcoming installment is being developed with a new version of the Frostbite engine and will be unveiled at a press event before this year's Game Developers Conference (February 28 through March 4).

"Our goal is crystal clear: we're going to build the best Battlefield game ever, and we'll do whatever it takes to make this the biggest launch in DICE's history," Troedsson said. Little is known about Battlefield 3, but Frostbite 2.0 supposedly takes "full advantage" of DirectX 11 and 64-bit processors. Building hype, Troedsson told fans to keep their eyes peeled for some exciting news.

Update: Game Informer has revealed its March cover featuring none other than Battlefield 3.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Wow...that's actually quite a shocker. I saw both of those games on a number of "2011 most anticipated" games listings.

Wonder what caused DICE to drop them? They had to be extremely deep into development as is.....

princeton princeton said:

TomSEA said:

Shitstorm incoming. PC gamers are NOT going to be happy. If us PC gamers didn't support 1942 there would be no BC2 or 1943.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Shitstorm incoming.

And then some.

I bet this one gets reversed.

treeski treeski said:

Why?! Ugh... this kind of news is always a bummer.

princeton princeton said:

red1776 said:

Shitstorm incoming.

And then some.

I bet this one gets reversed.

I really thought Dice and Crytek had some ability to see past profits. Apparently they don't. As much as I dislike how valve uses an engine that should have been killed off in 2005 they're the only devs who care for PC gamers.

princeton princeton said:

Ahaha. I just saw a thread posted a thread "somewhere". I have a feeling Dice might be affected by some sort of cannon that shoots ions from low orbit.

*wink wink*

mccartercar said:

Oh Golly,

I just cant wait to see what I'll be missing out on by buying the PC version of BF3.

/sarcasm

Ok, so I was midly excited for BF'43 PC but I didn't even know about onslaught for bf:bc2, so this doesn't really upset me. What does upset me as a PC gamer is this current trend, but it's no surprise at this point.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

The PC is like the first wife of an actor who finally made it big. Now that he's successful, he doesn't need the first wife that supported him while he was going to auditions, now he can move on to a "better" wife, leaving the old one in the dust.

princeton princeton said:

gwailo247 said:

Wow. That's actually kind of deep.

BF1942 & BF Vietnam were two of my favorite PC games.

I still occasionally listen to the BF Vietnam soundtrack.

Today I am a sad camper.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If this mean Battlefield 3 is better, and not delayed than I have zero complaints. At least DICE isn't one of those companies that releases a new game EVERY year that has little improvement over the previous year but everyone buys for some reason, I think we all know what I'm referring to...

IAMTHESTIG said:

Hmm, i'm not that bothered... BC2 is okay but i'm really gearing up for the successor to BF2. I think putting more manpower toward BF3 instead is a good move. Not everyone may agree, but I don't really want anymore BC games, I want the classic BF2 play style back.

All I can say about BF3 though is... DICE, take your time, listen to your community, give us (multiple) beta's to try it out, and then respond to our feedback with changes to a follow-up beta. Obviously i'm not expecting the beta thing but it would be cool and would rally up a large amount of your PC gamers. I don't know about the rest of you but i'm tired of rushed releases. I'm willing to wait for a good product.

While BC2 isn't my favorite, there were plenty of things I liked. The graphics are quite good, the sound effects are excellent, and a lot of gameplay elements are fun... but lots of little things bring it down in comparison to how BF2 worked in my opinion. I just hope BF3 is actually very similar to BF3, just bigger, newer, and better. I'm pretty sure a good portion of the PC gaming community feels the same way when reading the official BF3 forums.

Oh and release an official demo at the same time, or before the full game releases. Without a demo, many people simply wont buy a game until they can see it first hand which really hurts your initial sales figures. And we all know that is your most important aspect of any game, is initial sales figures. Well, at least for the distributor it is, not sure about the developers.

ruben1992 said:

Surely it wouldn't take that much time to port something that is already finished over to PC?

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Losing a BF console port and BFBC2 DLC in exchange for a cutting-edge BF sequel sounds reasonable to me. Every developer has to make optimal use of scarce resources. My only appeal to DICE is : live up to your hype and give us the best Battlefield game that you can make.

yRaz yRaz said:

Looks like I'm not buying anymore Dice games...The only ones left are Valve, Bethesda, Crytec, and 2K. I was going to pick up Vietnam sometime in the near future, but that isn't happening now. eff you dice, I own BF1, BF2, 2142, BFBC 1&2. I'm not into gaming anymore so it's easy for me to stop supporting a developer who doesn't give a rats a** about me. I don't pay ludicrous amounts of money for a PC only to have developers say, "too bad." I think that after Crysis 2 and Elder Scrolls V I'm done with gaming. I'm getting too old for this crap anyway.

@yRaz, There is always Crysis 3 and Elder Scrolls VI, etc.

@ the article, This news is saddening. I was actually looking forward for the Onslaught DLC. It would have been fun to play against bots with a squad of friends, kinda like L4D meets (insert any generic modern military shooter). It is hard to believe it would be so difficult to port a DLC of a released multi-platform game to the PC given that they have already done a DLC port already (BC2 Vietnam).

They must likely did a cost-benefit analysis and decided PC would not bring much in sales given that they were already so late. I do believe that they will use the freed assets to focus on BF3, but that doesn't mean they the freed up assets will work on the PC aspect of it. For all we know, the freed up people could have been put to improve the console version and possibly start working on a console exclusive DLC for BF3. Just some thoughts and speculation.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I don't care (anymore).

Have you seen GI's cover of Battlefield 3? I've never pre-ordered a game, as I usually buy them after I actually play them (no, no gameplay videos), but this one? Ha! This one I might even buy a second copy as a thank you to the devs. They say that the Frostbite 2.0 engine that powers BF3 is incredibly amazing. BFBC2 is powered by Frostbite 1.0, and look how good that game looks and plays (especially Destruction 2.0, which is presumably to be 3.0 in BF3).

If the multiplayer and general gameplay is as good as BFBC2, I'll buy it. Onslaught would have been nice, of course, but BF3 is so around the corner, that BFBC2 Vietnam can hold me off a couple of months. Besides, many other great games worth buying are coming out, such as the very Crysis 2.

It's all good DICE, we forgive you.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I'm not too surprised by the cancellation of 1943, considering its constant delays. And the Onslaught mode for BF:BC2 being canned as well is a bit sad as I really wanted to give it a try. But if this will better BF3 I'm alright with it, DICE better deliver now however considering what a big franchise this is for PC gamers on the multiplayer front. Guess we'll see tomorrow and in the coming weeks what BF3 will be bringing to the table .

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

Well that sucks, I play BC2 regularly. Oh well, once BF3 comes BC2 will be collecting virtual dust.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Wow. That's actually kind of deep.

Yeah,so deep I think there's a movie called the, "First Wives Club"!

Ooo look, there is; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Wives_Club

Thats okay, please just make Battlefield 3 awsome then!

ok i guess i'm confused....there cancelling bf3 and bc2 onslought, to work on bf3??? i guess i'm missing somhing...

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

No, they are canceling Battlefield 1943 (digital game only) and Onslaught DLC Mode for BF:BC2 to work exclusively on Battlefield 3. Both were developed a while a go, just DICE never got around to porting them over.

And with this Battlefield 3 news, I don't think most fans will miss them especially with DICE focusing on exclusive stuff for PCers to make a true sequel to BF2. Hope they have Onslaught built right into BF3 this time around.

ElShotte ElShotte said:

I guess that's good news. In my opinion, what will make or break BF3 is the support or lack thereof 64 player combat. Im sorry but what made BF2 epic were 64 player battles. I hate playing the newly released super huge maps with 32 players in BC2, theyre just no fun.

ElShotte ElShotte said:

Hey Relic, thanks for posting that BF3 link. Just from the title of that post, I can tell it's gonna rock. This game will bring back ALOT of players back to the PC.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

ElShotte said:

Indeed, I hope this will be a true sequel and with this news it looks to be heading in the right direction. The PC hasn't had a major multiplayer FPS title in years that wasn't some port that could have been better optimized and designed for the PC. I feel this could be the one that starts off the next generation of awesome PC shooters, or at least I hope so :P .

edison5do said:

Im Doing my savings to my next upgrade when Battlefield BC3 comes out, I want the whole eyecanDY, and Im sure my Ath II X3 and my 5770 just canĀ't please me in those matters, This Game Will rock!

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

captaincranky said:

Yeah,so deep I think there's a movie called the, "First Wives Club"!

Ooo look, there is; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Wives_Club

Never pegged you as a big Bette Middler fan cranky.

I like being shat on so a CEO can go buy a Ferrari instead of a Vette.

KG363 KG363 said:

Why should I be angry? "oh no! They're not gonna make 1943 and instead they're putting more and more resources behind a bigger, fuller game!"

That's good news people

miska_man said:

Isn't this a good thing because now they have more time and people to work on BF3 and make it awesome?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Never pegged you as a big Bette Middler fan cranky.
No way, I'm a leg man. Somewhat sheepishly though, I admit to being very fond of her song, "The Rose". Beyond that, not so much.

Actually, another title came to mind later, even closer to this theme, "The Starter Wife"; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0810726/

very well said, feels like we have been dumped