China denies hacking Canadian government

By on February 18, 2011, 3:17 PM
The Chinese government has denied any involvement in a recently reported cyberattack against the Canadian government. This is despite the fact that the hacking was ultimately traced to Chinese servers, according to ComputerWorld:
The Chinese government is firmly opposed to hacking and other criminal acts, Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ma Zhaoxu said at a press conference Thursday. China is also a victim of computer hacking, he said. "The allegation that China supports hacking is groundless," he said.

Chinese hackers were accused of gaining access to an abundance of highly classified federal information from the Canadian government. The attack, first detected last month, was initially mentioned by the government as an attempt to access their computers. The hackers were, however, successful in their attempts. Canada's two major economic departments, the Finance Department and the Treasury Board, were the main victims of the attack.

We're not too surprised that China has denied the hacks. The country has never admitted to doing anything negative in the past. It doesn't really matter if this is the truth or a lie; chances are that if the Chinese government is responsible, only a few people are aware of it, and the actual hacking was probably outsourced anyway. What do you think?





User Comments: 20

Got something to say? Post a comment
princeton princeton said:

"The Chinese government is firmly opposed to hacking and other criminal acts"

That's bullshit. The Chinese government has obviously been involved in large scale hacking of other countries. Even if they weren't involved in trying to steal our secret beer and maple syrup recipes that doesn't mean they haven't tried to get info from other countries

Guest said:

Or the fact they have been hiding sleeper-cells for decades.

Remember a couple years ago in the USA they expelled four chinese people for spying and transferring sensitive documents? Mainly about electrical power grid systems and nuclear facilities. HMMMMMMMMMMM..........

Jibberish18 said:

"The allegation that China supports hacking is groundless," he said.

I know this might sound stupid but if you look at the last word he uses, "groundless", it almost makes you think that's he lying right off the bat.

negroplasty negroplasty said:

Must have been someone else...

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

Where the heck the China outsource to? India? If that's the case is anything made in China o.O"

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The Chinese government is firmly opposed to hacking and other criminal acts

Coming from a government that gives zero democracy to it's people and rules with an iron fist...That quote is rather laughable.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

The allegation that China supports hacking is groundless

Hmmm that is usually said by people who are guilty... "you have no proof".

Ahmed90 Ahmed90 said:

lol you people are talking for real ?

i,m 100% sure that almost every government have its own hacking team / agency not only china and ofc it looks lying its simple plane political respond .. xD

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Hopefully we have a Chinese version of Stuxnet around...just in case.

treetops treetops said:

I think it would be pointless for the Chinese government to attack Canada through hacking. If it is China this is just a test to see how the world reacts before they hack into other countries like US, Russia, Japan, Uk. Superpowers. If no super powers get attacked after this then I bet its citizens not the government. They have what 1\3 of the worlds population in there country? Anytime there is any cyber attack by anyone on earth theirs a 1\3 chance its coming from China...

Lurker101 said:

Well you didn't expect them to come out and say, "yeah, it was us who hacked Canada. All your base are belong to us", now did you?

Guest said:

The problem here is that the Chinese government have close to zero merit when it comes to telling the truth. At this rate the definition of "China" in the dictionary will soon read:

China

-------

1. A bold faced lie.

2. A stab in the back.

3. Plastic crap.

4. A country.

They should have stuck to Lao Tzu, Buddhism and even Confucius. Instead they chose a conceited fool name Mao.

God help them.

Guest said:

Treetops,you obviously have no clue about the world around you, China has more reason to attack Canada then most other countries in the world for one simple reason, primary resources. China has already bought or has significant shares in metals mining in Canada and they have been denied the purchase of the largest pot ash and boxite mines in Canada, The world had best wake up to China's Agenda, Americans and most countries do not see it because the stores are flooded with cheap ***, dangerous and even radioactive, consumer goods. But from my world of fabrication i see it all too clearly, China is buying up the worlds strategic and primary resources. They are literally buying control of the modern world. To give you an example of one reason this is important, WWII was lost solely due to lack of primary resources on the part of the Germans and the abundance of resources afforded to the allies in Canada and the US in particular. Now take a look At China which is a massive country and has allot of material, however they don't have them all, so they are buying up what they don't have in vast quantities and storing it in massive colliers. Every day that goes by, gas prices , aluminium , stainless steel prices all climb in the rest of the world because China is cornering the market, owning the market in some cases. Open your eyes, China is at war with the world and right now it's winning because the people that know that make decisions care more for the multi millions going into their pockets from the sale of mines, resources, corporations.. Canada has taken a stand however and denied the Chinese the ability to walk in, wave their blood money around and take off with strategic resources and companies.. So this is why China has attack Canada. People only need to read their history books and understand the continental Asian genome 'mentality' over the last 3000 years..

fpsgamerJR62 said:

I'm pretty sure that the Chinese government would have "plausible deniability" if it was indeed involved in the recent hacking attacks on the Canadian government sites. Just think for a moment, would computer hackers, like the ones involved in the hacking attacks, with this level of sophistication and available resources, be allowed to operate freely inside a totalitarian communist regime unless they were under the control and supervision of the government ?

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If one considers for a moment that Chinese Govt. did it, did it not make one think that American or other western governments are not snooping around in China? I think people mostly just don't try to come to grip with the political dimensions of the very nature of 'nation states'. Chinese know that they pretty much have americans in the bag by the scruff of their necks (due to heavy dependence of americans on china's ability to continue to stockpile their 'printed' dollars); Guest above right fully pointed at the fact that it is all about 'resources' as the Chinese requirements grow they will look for newer options; and what better way to explore them by having whatever information they can get their hands on. By the way Guest, every colonial power of its era does have same genome and hunger to dominate, and who is the current colonial power? Right you don't know who it is.

raybk said:

Chinese government is one of the untrustworthy governments in this world.

It speaks and acts differently.

How can one trust a goverenment without democracy?

I heard that a parent of poisonous milk powder who speaks for the victims is now in prison.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Chinese government is one of the untrustworthy governments in this world.

Does e.g. American Govt. behaves any differently (remember Gitmo? torturing?)? I don't think so. Democracy works only if it is being served by honest leaders; not by a bunch of lunatics like we have now in many countries. One major reason of degradation of democracy is 'corporatization' of society and politics in general, stifling free speech / freedom of expression in the process.

princeton princeton said:

Guest said:

Treetops,you obviously have no clue about the world around you, China has more reason to attack Canada then most other countries in the world for one simple reason, primary resources. China has already bought or has significant shares in metals mining in Canada and they have been denied the purchase of the largest pot ash and boxite mines in Canada, The world had best wake up to China's Agenda, Americans and most countries do not see it because the stores are flooded with cheap ***, dangerous and even radioactive, consumer goods. But from my world of fabrication i see it all too clearly, China is buying up the worlds strategic and primary resources. They are literally buying control of the modern world. To give you an example of one reason this is important, WWII was lost solely due to lack of primary resources on the part of the Germans and the abundance of resources afforded to the allies in Canada and the US in particular. Now take a look At China which is a massive country and has allot of material, however they don't have them all, so they are buying up what they don't have in vast quantities and storing it in massive colliers. Every day that goes by, gas prices , aluminium , stainless steel prices all climb in the rest of the world because China is cornering the market, owning the market in some cases. Open your eyes, China is at war with the world and right now it's winning because the people that know that make decisions care more for the multi millions going into their pockets from the sale of mines, resources, corporations.. Canada has taken a stand however and denied the Chinese the ability to walk in, wave their blood money around and take off with strategic resources and companies.. So this is why China has attack Canada. People only need to read their history books and understand the continental Asian genome 'mentality' over the last 3000 years..

Wow. Have you ever heard of paragraphs? How about proper sentences? That was PAINFUL to read.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Guest said:

Treetops,you obviously have no clue about the world around you, China has more reason to attack Canada then most other countries in the world for one simple reason, primary resources. China has already bought or has significant shares in metals mining in Canada and they have been denied the purchase of the largest pot ash and boxite mines in Canada, The world had best wake up to China's Agenda, Americans and most countries do not see it because the stores are flooded with cheap ***, dangerous and even radioactive, consumer goods. But from my world of fabrication i see it all too clearly, China is buying up the worlds strategic and primary resources. They are literally buying control of the modern world. To give you an example of one reason this is important, WWII was lost solely due to lack of primary resources on the part of the Germans and the abundance of resources afforded to the allies in Canada and the US in particular. Now take a look At China which is a massive country and has allot of material, however they don't have them all, so they are buying up what they don't have in vast quantities and storing it in massive colliers. Every day that goes by, gas prices , aluminium , stainless steel prices all climb in the rest of the world because China is cornering the market, owning the market in some cases. Open your eyes, China is at war with the world and right now it's winning because the people that know that make decisions care more for the multi millions going into their pockets from the sale of mines, resources, corporations.. Canada has taken a stand however and denied the Chinese the ability to walk in, wave their blood money around and take off with strategic resources and companies.. So this is why China has attack Canada. People only need to read their history books and understand the continental Asian genome 'mentality' over the last 3000 years..

"i" instead of I, incorrect use of commas, no paragraphs, two-period ellipses... Oh lord, what have we done with the education system?

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

You don't hack Canada because there is nothing worth stealing in Canada

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.