Microsoft ships Windows 7 Service Pack 1

By on February 22, 2011, 12:28 PM
Microsoft has announced that the first service pack release for Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 will hit the download servers starting today. The company had already released the final code to OEM partners earlier on February 9, followed by MSDN customers, TechNet subscribers and volume licensing customers on February 16, but now anyone will be able to get it either via Microsoft's Download Center website, through Windows Update or here (download links at the end).

So, what can you expect from SP1? For Windows Server 2008 R2, two new features that directly affect Microsoft's desktop virtualization platform: Microsoft Dynamic Memory and Microsoft RemoteFX. The former gives on-the-fly control of a virtual machine's memory while the latter provides a virtualized 3D graphical experience for remote users. For Windows 7, this is mostly a compilation of minor bug fixes and previous updates you might have already installed, but it also includes an updated Remote Desktop client that takes advantage of RemoteFX.

Still, the release of Windows 7 SP1 is an important milestone as it could help to further fuel adoption of the operating system among enterprises, which typically wait for kinks to be ironed out before jumping on the bandwagon.

We should note that users running a previous iteration of SP1, such as a beta or release candidate, will need to uninstall it first before grabbing the final release. Instructions on how to uninstall a service pack are available here.

Download Links:
Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 32-bit
Microsoft Windows 7 & Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 64-bit

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

Weighs in just under 2GB...

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Weighs in just under 2GB...

That includes all 3 versions, ia64, x64 & x86...

Just checked and the MD5 matches the leaked build released just over a month ago for x64 version...

28D3932F714BF71D78E75D36AA2E0FB8

[link]

Oh, and MS servers are quite snappy, I maxed my 100mbps line when downloading it

pcnthuziast said:

The download is an ISO. Am I supposed to burn it and boot from it to install?

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

pcnthuziast, the ISO just contains the 3x installer EXE files for ia64, x64 & x86.

So either you burn the ISO to a DVD and install like that.

Or you extract the file you need, by opening the ISO with for example WinRAR.

www.rarsoft.com

princeton princeton said:

Why not just do it through windows update? Then you only have to download the version you need :P

BlindObject said:

So, uh, does this work with "Special versions" of Windows 7 that are found on torrent sites?

princeton princeton said:

BlindObject said:

Nobody is going to answer that. You should know better then to ask that here. Go ask on the site where you got your "special version"

BlindObject said:

It didn't hurt trying. =)

princeton princeton said:

BlindObject said:

It didn't hurt trying. =)

On other forums out there you'd be permabanned on the spot. Go back to the TPB forums to ask about that stuff, they're the people who handle that.

treeski treeski said:

The update failed through Windows Update... go figure. I downloaded the service pack through the link above and am installing it now

BlindObject said:

I'm not intimidated by "permabans." Gamespot permabanned be once because I implied on something about pirated games lol. The "register" button is right there for use again. Anyway, I don't use the TPB forums. Thanks for the suggestion though.

princeton princeton said:

BlindObject said:

Typically a permaban bans your IP. And unless your ISP is piss poor the IPs don't change that often.

gooderguy gooderguy said:

Ah man, my ISP sucks big wieners, I get random disconnections so the download keeps failing after having downloaded hundreds of MBs and I have to start over. I know Microsoft would never support the torrent format, I wish they did as this works so much better.

I can't find a torrent for this yet, has anyone else found one???

ViNCiLiCiouS said:

installed from windows update flawlessly (windows 7 professional x64).

one important fix for windows 7 users is the HDMI fix:

my monitor has an HDMI audio passthrough and whenever i restarted my computer it would not detect any HDMI audio connection- had to disable/reenable audio in NVIDIA control panel (from my GTX 460)

in microsoft's words:

Improved HDMI audio device performance:

* A small percentage of users have reported issues in which the connection between computers running Windows 7 and HDMI audio devices can be lost after system reboots. Updates have been incorporated into SP1 to ensure that connections between Windows 7 computers and HDMI audio devices are consistently maintained.

Chazz said:

Download is 87.2MB for me through windows update x64 version. Prepping to install right now.

PaulWuzHere PaulWuzHere said:

Gotta say, little excited

This will make fresh installs much easier!

Lurker101 said:

And once again I'll just stick to XP64. It doesn't matter how often they try to thrust Vista SP3 into peoples faces or how popular it gets, I'm not swapping over. Especially when Windows 8 is a very short wait away.

mbrinsley said:

On one of my computers the download failed, because it did another one. 2nd try I did SP1 alone and it worked.

LightHeart said:

Downloaded the .iso at work and installed OK (Win 7 x64) though the install took a long time, 1.5 hrs. At home I updated via Windows Updates and total download / install took about 0.75 hrs.

Had to reinitialize Window Media Player and reconfigure a sound option, other than that all is well.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

lurker101 said:

Why?! I've had XP64 and compared to 764 its slower to respond, cannot multitask any where near as well and supports DX10,11 so I can fully utilise my GPU. Plus it boots up way faster and the Windows XP mode fixes any compatibilty issues (I use it for Nero 7) why not upgrade? or is there a particular reason you don't want to?

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Got it thru Windows Update this morning. File size was around 73 megs ( Windows 7 x64 ). Just left running by itself and after a reboot, my PC was ready to use. Not much visible changes, I guess most are under the hood.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Princeton said:

BlindObject said:

No, it wont work on your special edition... and for the record, people will answer you here... personally I have no problem with that and ask questions in comments myself.

I see no problem asking here, or there, or in the forums.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

I have this installed on my ASUS Eee PC Netbook with Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit OC with ASHE and 2GB no issues..