Leaked: 64GB iPhone 4 prototype

By on March 9, 2011, 12:23 PM
A prototype of a 64GB iPhone 4 from the Foxconn factory in China has leaked. The phone does not look like a fake, according to a video put together by the Hong Kong-based website MIC Gadget (embedded below).

The current iPhone 4 has 16GB and 32GB capacities available. Apple's estimates, which are of course grossly exaggerated like any OEM's estimates, say that 32GB of storage gets you about 7,000 songs or 40 hours of continuous video. So just think of approximately double that for the 64GB version, with a higher price tag of course.

The highest rated comment on this video caught my eye: "The serial number indicates that this particular prototype was produced in early 2010. So, while Apple may be working on a 64GB iPhone in the future, this particular one was an old prototype that pre-dated the launch of the iPhone 4." The device is running iOS 4.1, which is not the latest version of Apple's mobile platform, so this further supports that this is an earlier prototype.

We don't think that Apple is preparing to sell a 64GB version of the iPhone 4. It may be revisiting the idea with the iPhone 5, however, which is set to debut this summer. Specifically, we're expecting Apple to release its latest and greatest, with a rumored larger screen, in June 2011.





User Comments: 8

Got something to say? Post a comment
example1013 said:

It's not like the tech isn't there. If they could fit 64gb in the iPod Touch 3G, the only reason why they didn't put it on the iPhone is because likely no one would want to pay $500 for a phone that's not unlocked.

princeton princeton said:

example1013 said:

It's not like the tech isn't there. If they could fit 64gb in the iPod Touch 3G, the only reason why they didn't put it on the iPhone is because likely no one would want to pay $500 for a phone that's not unlocked.

In reality they could sell the 64gb model for $1 more than the 32gb and they wouldn't lose any money.

RaiDeR55 said:

64gb be nice.. if the cost wasn't to bad..But how much storage do most of you guys run in your phones etc.8gb 16gb 32gb 64gb???.. 32gb here.. More be better for videos,multi-media stuff..other than that, its alot of space for just pics.. But then again more and more apps use the sd card to install to.As far as iOS doing this I don't know since I don't own iphone 4.

princeton princeton said:

RaiDeR55 said:

64gb be nice.. if the cost wasn't to bad..But how much storage do most of you guys run in your phones etc.8gb 16gb 32gb 64gb???.. 32gb here.. More be better for videos,multi-media stuff..other than that, its alot of space for just pics.. But then again more and more apps use the sd card to install to.As far as iOS doing this I don't know since I don't own iphone 4.

With my galaxy S I use the 16gb internal storage and a 32gb micro SD. I couldn't imagine getting by with only 16 or even 32gb of storage. 48gb is fine but 64gb would give more freedom.

KG363 KG363 said:

I assumed there was a 64GB iPhone 4. Why wouldn't there be?

princeton princeton said:

I assumed there was a 64GB iPhone 4. Why wouldn't there be?

Because apple prefers to give you as little as possible for your money.

Ipad 2 is an exception.

bonniesmith bonniesmith said:

This is just getting more and more amazing, 64gb in a phone. I remember just 15 years ago it was hard to get a few GB in a pc. How things are changing for the better

Guest said:

@example1013

Good point. Except that an unlocked iPhone goes for 685 Euro in Europe. (about $950 US at 1.389 3/10/2011).

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/258436/apple-iphone-4-16gb-zw
rt.html

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.