Rumor: iPhone 5 won't be getting NFC, delayed till 2012

By on March 14, 2011, 9:33 AM
Apple was expected to include Near Field Communication (NFC) hardware in the 2011 releases of the iPhone and iPad, in order to allow customers to make purchases at retail stores with said devices. The iPad 2 was released without any NFC technology, and it now looks like we'll see the same story for the upcoming iPhone 5, according to The Independent:
Sources at several of the largest mobile operators in the UK revealed Apple had disclosed in meetings that it would not be including Near Field Communication (NFC) technology which enables payment for products with a wave of your phone on a reader in the latest version of the iPhone, be it the iPhone 4GS or the iPhone 5. One source close to the discussions said: "The new iPhone will not have NFC, Apple told the operators it was concerned by the lack of a clear standard across the industry." Yet Apple is understood to be working on its own NFC proposition, which would link payments through iTunes. It hopes to introduce the technology in a handset likely to be released next year.

NFC technology adoption is widely anticipated to ramp up this year; it's arguably the biggest addition to new mobile OS versions, or at least that's what the industry thought. It's thus disappointing that Apple will not be on board as the company has enough market share to make or break a standard. Waiting until 2012 could change everything.

When Google officially introduced Android 2.3 and the Nexus S late last year, NFC support was a go. Although most Android phones don't have NFC built-in right now, Google was clear that it believes future phones should have it. Apple is apparently not at that stage yet.





User Comments: 19

Got something to say? Post a comment
princeton princeton said:

Well I'll be laughing if NFC does become widely adopted. Because my nexus S has it and the iphones won't :P

Cota Cota said:

Finally! a Mac device that isnt outdated so soon, maybe Jobs is dying and he is trying to mend his mistakes?

NFC isnt that fast.... even a cheap Bluetooth would do the work more faster, however. A NFC can work whit powerless devices such like cards or even an unpowered cellphone (lol?) and more important it haves a low range that would help keep a lot of communication waves off the air, but still this is a technology that will die or live depending on how its adopted to our daily life (for me it will live but stay like the bluetooth, "like a rock in your yard wich you use to sit down once in a while" .

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

They'll badmouth it until they come out with their own version, because it will be 10 times better, and have a racing stripe on it which looks very sharp.

Raswan Raswan said:

"Apple told operators it was concerned by the lack of a clear standard across the industry"

Even without the next sentence, read "Apple told operators it was concerned its own proprietary system wasn't the standard, so it could make even more money than it already does. Don't worry though, we will be bludgeoning them into submission in the near future, as we are working on our own system."

Apple, you suck. No one buys your feigned concern over industry standards when it so clearly serves as a cover for your attempts at vertically integrating every stage of the market. If Standard Oil couldn't get away with it a hundred and fifteen years ago, what makes you think you will today?

mario mario, Ex-TS Developer, said:

@raswan yes that's why they were one of the first companies to encourage usage of the USB and WiFi/b-n standards, and now they are using ThunderBolt in their new Macbook Pros another standard that they hope will be ubiquitous in the next few years.

And besides Google, it's my opinion that they are the second largest company in technology with interest in open-source and by developing and open-sourcing Webkit they've enabled mobile operating systems like Android and webOS.

Raswan Raswan said:

marioestrada said:

@raswan yes that's why they were one of the first companies to encourage usage of the USB and WiFi/b-n standards, and now they are using ThunderBolt in their new Macbook Pros another standard that they hope will be ubiquitous in the next few years.

And besides Google, it's my opinion that they are the second largest company in technology with interest in open-source and by developing and open-sourcing Webkit they've enabled mobile operating systems like Android and webOS.

Except they've done any number of things over the last couple of years to prove they are not interested in open-anything, but rather in closing the market to anyone but themselves. Techspot has reported most of these: the switch from regular screws on the back of the iphone to pentalobe screws and their attacks on the kid from NY who was selling converter kits for white iphones are the ones that come most readily to mind. There are a host of others. You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion. What you are not entitled to are your own facts.

Guest said:

Seriously? An apple product outdated too soon? Why don't you look around and see how many g4's are still in use and working just fine. Sure, Apple charges more for their stuff, but it works for years longer and has a much higher resale value, put that in your pentium 4 and smoke it.

Whoaman said:

Perhaps they should rename this site to MacHate. It often seems like a repository for disgruntled envious non-Apple users to punch vilely at their keyboards for therapy. We'd probably still be using DOS if it wasn't for Apple building on the Xerox technology and making it accessible to the masses.

There are so many under the delusion that as long as they believe they have diminished another that this somehow augments themselves. A lot like how the American politics of denigration seems to function.

mario mario, Ex-TS Developer, said:

@raswan I did not make up any facts as your post might suggest I was just pointing out how Apple also contributes to standards and is always pushing new technologies, their DisplayPort standard was also adopted by Intel for usage in ThunderBolt. Yes they do have a lot of proprietary technologies because they are running a business, they make a lot of money by licensing their 30-pin connector to third parties, but that's not how they always behave. They've actually been very opening to new standards when they abandoned their great ADC connector in favor of DVI.

If you want to keep on hating on Apple, that's great I have no problem, I'm just trying to put a clearer picture on the reality. When Microsoft tried to push their Windows Media format down everyone's throat Apple opted to implement their formats on the h.264 standard (AAC, MP4, M4V), yes they built a DRM system on top of it but know most of the iTunes music media has no restrictions.

When it comes to the future of computing Apple has always been interested in writing it, when it thinks one technology will benefit by being a standard or open they do release it. Lately when they announced Facetime they also announced their intentions of making it a standard protocol, but don't know how that is working out.

And finally are you really using as an argument that Apple doesn't care about standards the fact that they changed some screws and stopped a kid from selling black market parts. The story about the screws was started by a site that makes money selling those screwdrivers and those black market parts where original and the kid got them illegally.

Raswan Raswan said:

@raswan I did not make up any facts as your post might suggest I was just pointing out how Apple also contributes to standards and is always pushing new technologies, their DisplayPort standard was also adopted by Intel for usage in ThunderBolt. Yes they do have a lot of proprietary technologies because they are running a business, they make a lot of money by licensing their 30-pin connector to third parties, but that's not how they always behave. They've actually been very opening to new standards when they abandoned their great ADC connector in favor of DVI.

If you want to keep on hating on Apple, that's great I have no problem, I'm just trying to put a clearer picture on the reality. When Microsoft tried to push their Windows Media format down everyone's throat Apple opted to implement their formats on the h.264 standard (AAC, MP4, M4V), yes they built a DRM system on top of it but know most of the iTunes music media has no restrictions.

When it comes to the future of computing Apple has always been interested in writing it, when it thinks one technology will benefit by being a standard or open they do release it. Lately when they announced Facetime they also announced their intentions of making it a standard protocol, but don't know how that is working out.

And finally are you really using as an argument that Apple doesn't care about standards the fact that they changed some screws and stopped a kid from selling black market parts. The story about the screws was started by a site that makes money selling those screwdrivers and those black market parts where original and the kid got them illegally.

I readily acknowledge that competition can only help the tech industry, and that if the tables were turned Microsoft would be doing (as they have done in the past) everything in their power to use patent laws to protect profit margins rather than as they were intended--to protect the intellectual property of inventors and innovators. I have no problem with Apple making plenty of money; I have an iPod, and had I an extra six hundred bucks lying around last year would probably have an iPad as well.

But you can't pretend that in spirit they are anything but closed. There's is a demonstrable difference between making sure your innovative product gets its fair share of the market, and aggressively trying to shut out everyone else by every possible means. You're living in a dream world if you see Apple behaving in any other way, and nothing I say will reach you.

My examples were completely legit, and I know you know this because you felt the need to marginalize them by saying things like "they changed some screws and stopped a kid from selling black market parts" in order to strengthen your own argument. I'm not an Apple hater, but I do hate when Apple takes advantage of their name recognition and market share as well as the general naivete of the average consumer to, for example, switch the screws on your iPhone when you send it in for completely unrelated service. Just like I hate it when anyone else does the same thing.

Raswan Raswan said:

Perhaps they should rename this site to MacHate. It often seems like a repository for disgruntled envious non-Apple users to punch vilely at their keyboards for therapy. We'd probably still be using DOS if it wasn't for Apple building on the Xerox technology and making it accessible to the masses.

There are so many under the delusion that as long as they believe they have diminished another that this somehow augments themselves. A lot like how the American politics of denigration seems to function.

Maybe you should change your name from Whoaman to ILivetoTroll. Plenty here dislike Apple for any number of reasons, some of them more legitimate than others. Henry Ford also made a new product accessible to the masses, or we'd probably still be riding bikes around and only the super-rich could afford cars. Did that confer upon him the beneficent, untouchable halo you seem to want to place around Apple's collective head? Did it mitigate the fact that he kept producing the Model T until 1927, in the same color (black) until GM forced him to build the Model A if he wanted to continue to compete in the marketplace? Or that he was a raging anti-semite? Nope.

Yet there are so many under the delusion that as long as they dismiss the varied, nuanced, and complicated arguments of an informed minority in language that appeals to the lowest common denominator, this somehow counters them or somehow augments themselves.

Cota Cota said:

Guest said:

Seriously? An apple product outdated too soon? Why don't you look around and see how many g4's are still in use and working just fine. Sure, Apple charges more for their stuff, but it works for years longer and has a much higher resale value, put that in your pentium 4 and smoke it.

And any wireless device CAN get interferences if it is overcrowded, thats why they work in "cells" from there it comes the name "cell"phone and from what i can remember theres has been paybacks to the users in some of the generations on the iPhone, due to close buys b4 the launch date of the new version or a price drop after holiday season; and from what i had seen from some Mac users "scratched = doesnt work get new one" so it doesnt matters if it last cus you are getting a shiny new one. Finally i use a 5.3k Marks CPU not a P4, i3, i5, i7 like you use to measure your CPU speed, noob troll.

Whoaman said:

Raswan said:

I have an iPod ...

This absolutely qualifies you to offer varied, nuanced, and complicated arguments about Apple and all its products and it would be a terrible miscarriage of justice to accuse you of being an iLiveToTrollApple offender. You are quite obviously overqualified and I for one am humbled that you are willing to take the time and effort to educate far more experienced Apple|PC|Android|iOS users such as myself.

Henry Ford would be proud of you.

jobeard jobeard, TS Ambassador, said:

Maybe you should change your name from Whoaman to ILivetoTroll. Plenty here dislike Apple for any number of reasons,

And some that have decades of experience with multiple platforms read comments like this drivel and see it like a comic strip :lol: :giggle:

Oh to be a teenager again; everything is just black and white. :more giggling:

Raswan Raswan said:

And some that have decades of experience with multiple platforms read comments like this drivel and see it like a comic strip :lol: :giggle:

Oh to be a teenager again; everything is just black and white. :more giggling:

And some look at comments like yours and see an old man who thinks just because he lived through something that it qualifies him to open his mouth. You're claimed age and the fact that you have "decades of experience with multiple platforms" means less to me than the rabbit-sized turds I leave in the toilet the morning after fajitas. If you are unwilling to offer much more than trite, overused colloquialisms like "oh, to be a teenager again" we'd appreciate it if you'd leave and save us the time of reading your nonsensical posts.

You're unwillingness to engage lumps us in with those who DO hate companies like Apple but have no other reason than "they're Apple", and dismiss rational, reasoned arguments for irresponsible company behavior. Get involved or get out. Thanks

Whoaman said:

Raswan said:

we'd appreciate it if you'd leave and save us the time

Apparently not just a teenager (or juvenile perhaps?) but, sadly, also suffering from dissociative identity disorder.

mailpup mailpup said:

This would be a good time to remind everyone to please confine your comments to the subject of the article and refrain from personal attacks. If you feel you cannot, I suggest you no longer post in this thread.

mario mario, Ex-TS Developer, said:

Thanks Mailpup, everyone please chill and remember there are bigger and more important things happening right now. Getting back to topic and back to current events I recommend that everyone read this article [link] and to take online discussions more lightly.

Whoaman said:

Thanks for the link marioestrada. With so much suffering in the world, Japan and Libya especially right now, it really does make these techno fanboy\egoistic tussles seem ludicrous at best. Apologies for my part.

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.