Comcast launches 105Mb/s Internet tier for $105

By on April 14, 2011, 6:01 PM
Comcast has finally announced the initial availability of its Extreme 105 Xfinity Internet service, which is currently available to 40 million homes in major markets such as Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Indianapolis, Miami, Philadelphia, Portland, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, and Washington DC.

First introduced last May, the service delivers download speeds of up to 105Mb/s (10Mb/s upstream), which is a substantial boost over the company's previous 50Mb/s service. According to the company's figures, you can download an HD movie in five minutes and a standard-def TV show in 20 seconds.

That speed comes at a premium, of course, as pricing is currently set at $105 per month when customers add it to their "Triple Play" bundle (TV, phone and Internet). That's an introductory rate which expires in 12 months, and then you're looking at $130 a month on top of your cable and phone.

Although that probably sounds like a lot, it's far less than the $200 per month Comcast originally intended to charge when it first announced its 105Mb/s tier. It's also relatively competitive with Verizon's flagship FiOS offering of 150Mb/s download and 35Mb/s upload for about $200 per month.

Considering Extreme 105 Xfinity requires DOCSIS 3.0, you'll probably have to upgrade your modem unless you intend to lease one from Comcast. Also, despite its blistering speeds, the new tier still has a data cap of 250GB per month for residential accounts. Business accounts are unlimited but cost more.

KG363 KG363 said:

I just can't go back to comcast. I'll stick to AT&T Uverse

TechGreek said:

You give them a GREAT speed and then put a 250GB cap on it still? Seriously? WAY TO GO COMCAST - You're doing it wrong!

CamaroMullet said:

I hate comcast as a company, too expensive, terrible customer service, but I'm currently a comcast customer. I've switched between dsl and comcast like 5 times over the course of my adulthood. I get so pissed at comcast, for either raising my prices ( seems every other month ) or just plain $hitty CS, leave them for a few months, then go back because I miss the speed.

This new package although awesome in speed, for 130 dollars, I don't think so. What's with the 250gb cap? Booo on you comcast!

TrekExpert TrekExpert said:

Wow, you would think at this price that they would get rid of the data limit at least. At that speed you can hit 250gig in 5 hours. I don't how some people live with data limits. I use about 5gig per day without downloading anything. I would rather have a relatively slow connection that I can actual use as much as I want than a fast one. This also reminds me of those stupid smart phone data plans which can reach there maximum in 2 minutes...

Cota Cota said:

Seems like they are working hard to win "that" trophie again :P

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

105 bucks

that is just ridiculous.. totally...

250 gig cap... stupid... so u could watch 30 +/- 1 movies a month

pretty stupid a cap... my god man

hey i would pay 20 bucks extra a month for "C O M M E R C I A L" free tv...

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Comcast still doesn't hold a candle to FiOS. It's too bad Verizon isn't offered in my area, or I'd go with them in a heartbeat. Till then, I'm stuck with Brighthouse (RoadRunner).

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

That's 42 cents per gigabyte. Comes out to be about $10.50 for a 25 GB HD movie. At least 2 bucks for a standard DVD, that you can pick up at RedBox for a dollar.

It will be news when Comcast, and other broadband vendors, start charging $1 per Mbps. Everything else is just marketing hype.

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

250 GB cap equals to 5,25 hours of downloading time at maximum speed... that is not very interesting, I'm afraid... not even at 105 Mbps.

5 gb/day is 150gb/month why are you conplaining about a 250gb limit?

Leeky Leeky said:

Out of curiosity how much more is a business acccount? If its say $10-20 more would that make it more viable?

I'll stick with my 50mb/5mb service, with truly unlimited downloading/uploading over any service thats faster but capped.

Coodu Coodu said:

Sigh, here in Australia I pay 100 dollars for 10 megabyte internet, things like this just make me want to move to the states.

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

Well it is nice to know that I am not the only one who hates Comcast. There is a reason why Philadelphia is one of their citys on that list. Basically because of PA's former Governor, I'm sure you get the picture there.

I have had some terrible service with Comcast, we would keep losing the signal (on the TVs) and Comcast kept saying, "Oh we'll have to put in another signal booster in." I do not know if they ever did or not but the TV signal still sucked. Also, they ripped us off too because they do not tell you about their deal changes, we only found out when we got a HD TV and wanted a HD box.

We ended up getting FiOS once it came to my neighborhood and I have been very happy with it ^.^

Wendig0 said:

I feel bad for ya Wendig0 and I hope FiOS comes to your area soon.

My current bandwidth with FiOS is 35Mbps/35Mbps

The upload bandwidth it's much more important than the download. Why not 1 gbps up and down? Do you afraid the big numbers?

Bandwidth access is human right in the 21 century.

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

Bandwidth access is human right in the 21 century.

Dont start that again! lol

Im a comcast tech, i believe the limit has been changed (Although dont quote me). Its now 400Gb.

waqasr said:

EPIC FAIL!!!! With data cap I don't think any one would go for this package.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Comcast customer support: And who exactly told you that the cap is now 400 Gb?

Techspot reader: Uh...Guest?

Comcast customer support: Can you be more specific?

Techspot reader: Uh...Guest #18?

CamaroMullet said:

Comcast customer support: And who exactly told you that the cap is now 400 Gb?

Techspot reader: Uh...Guest?

Comcast customer support: Can you be more specific?

Techspot reader: Uh...Guest #18?

hahaha, nice !

TrekExpert TrekExpert said:

5 gb/day is 150gb/month why are you complaining about a 250gb limit?

Because I don't even use my internet as my TV. If i did i would easily hit twice that amount.

I live in Romania and we have a 100Mb/s internet for 18$/month. And as bonus for a 2year contract we get a land line phone number and a phone plus a 3g usb modem with unlimited data plan. Oh, and for the actual internet contract there is no limit as well. :P

Dude, get DVR box than ....

TrekExpert TrekExpert said:

Why is it that everywhere else BUT North America gets super-fast internet...

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

TrekExpert said:

Why is it that everywhere else BUT North America gets super-fast internet...

Because most of the world was lucky to have indoor plumbing, whereas a lot of our infrastructure has been around for ages, and you have to deal with easement, eminent domain, and half the world's lawyers when you try to do any major construction. (Case in point 710 Freeway in Los Angeles, for anyone familiar with the situation). We're saddled with so much bureaucracy, red tape, sweetheart deals, and so forth that it takes a miracle to upgrade anything.

Someone has to pay for all this stuff. Its a lot easier to install something that was never there in the first place than upgrade aging stuff. This is one of the downsides to being first in everything. For instance, a quarter of South Korea's population lives in Seoul, not that difficult to give everyone there super fast internet.

Why you giving me a hard time. I have just discovered the site, so i havent decided to be a member yet. Im a field tech, and i dont have any concrete info. I just remember having a chat to our advanced (TECHNICIANS only) support line.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I feel bad for ya Wendig0 and I hope FiOS comes to your area soon.

My current bandwidth with FiOS is 35Mbps/35Mbps

I miss it a lot! I used to have it when I lived near Atlanta. Man what a difference it made! They have it in central, and on the West coast of Florida, so I hope it is only a matter of time before they bring it to the East coast of FL.

anguis said:

I've been waiting for Verizon FiOS for years now...Comcast is available but what's the point of paying for a service you can only use at maximum for 5.5 hours?

manabharana said:

hihi im downloading 300GB from my 2Mbps Line

Yes...but you have to live in Romania.

What in the world are you people downloading??? 250gb + is crazy, that means you need about 100tb harddrive space, i'm sorry get a life!!!

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Movies mostly. Keep up with the times man. DVD's are going to die, and digital downloads are taking over.

I'm with TechGreek on this one. Comcast is evil and its not just internet its with any of their services. The fact that its titled "Extreme" makes me not want it right there..ha ha.

Even their basic high-speed internet comes with the same 250gb cap. Go over or even near it and you get a 'serious' call from Comcast threatening termination of service if the cap is approached again. And if the data amount can be used up easily with the basic service I can't imagine how quickly it would go with the "Extreme" internet..whats the advantage again??

This is the opposite of what the internet is or even how legitimate business works. You pay a fee for cable, you pay a fee for your unlimited phone plan...do you only get a limited number of shows on tv to watch?!? No. Can you only make a certain number of calls or talk for a certain number of minutes and then the phone is out-of-service til the next month?!? No. Seriously I hate to be dramatic but its such a scam..its basically communism. Comcast isn't the only guilty party, many other ISP's are just as bad..and in many countries they have it worse than the U.S.

Seriously it almost seems like a joke..what is the point of being able to download/upload data quickly if you are inherently limited in the amount of data you can download/upload? Maybe I'm stretching a little but it seems like thats approaching a catch-22..

Flannelwarrior said:

I would love to have that kind of disposable income. My room mate works for Comcast and we're somehow stealing internet with some kind of hacked modem. It's about 16Mbps down.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

flannelwarrior said:

Congratulations on admitting your criminal activities. I can tell you're the intelligent one in the house.

Odds are good that as a comcast employee he gets free internet. Doubt he's *stealing* it as you say.

efits.html

"Courtesy Services

If you live in an area serviced by Comcast, you may also be eligible to receive complimentary cable TV, Internet, and deeply discounted phone services."

Glad you fellows have time to watch all those HD movies. Me, I work for a living.

Flannelwarrior said:

Derp, yeah, because Comcast is tracking every post by me.

[link]

"Courtesy Services

He's contracted, he doesn't work directly for Comcast.