Nvidia releases WHQL-certified 270.61 GeForce drivers

By on April 18, 2011, 3:16 PM
Nvidia has released the first 270-family GeForce drivers with Microsoft's blessings. The WHQL-certified 270.61 update is largely comprised of the changes we saw in the previous 270.51 beta, including a massive 241% to 516% performance optimization for GTX 560 Ti and GTX 580 owners running Dragon Age II with specific high quality settings.

In certain configurations, both cards also get a 4% to 19% improvement when playing Mafia 2, Metro 2033, Left 4 Dead 2, H.A.W.X. 2, Civilization V, Far Cry 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops, and Just Cause 2. Although no specific gains are mentioned for GeForce 400 series products, Nvidia says the latest update contains minor tweaks for last-gen cards, so don't be surprised if you see a slight boost.

Desktop: Windows XP 32-bit | Windows XP 64-bit | Windows Vista/7 32-bit | Windows Vista/7 64-bit
Mobile: Windows Vista/7 32-bit | Windows Vista/7 64-bit

GeForce version 270.61 also brings an "Nvidia Update" feature that notifies you when new drivers are available and directs you to the download location. Although this isn't as streamlined as Steam's solution for AMD Radeon owners, it's a step in the right direction. Nvidia 3D Vision and 3D Vision Surround users will want to skim the release notes (available on our download pages above) as there are tons of new profiles and other updates.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Great. Have the beta installed... Updating now.

Has anybody burned out their graphics card with these drivers yet?

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Not me, because I'm not using a beta driver from nvidia any time soon after the vga's blowing up.

I did install the new nvidia drivers but then BSOD showed up leaving my computer useless, didnt even enter Windows. Made a fresh install of windows 7 64 bit tried to install the drivers again, thought it was a conflict with the old drivers but same thing. People beware of installing this update!!

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I ran the beta 270.51 for a while now, and upgraded to this. Hadn't seen any issues, and I've been taxing my 460 with about 2 gigs of Fallout 3 graphics mods. Maybe newer cards have problems.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

New driver "problems", regardless of whether AMD or Nvidia tend to affect the Guest account "contributors" graphics cards exponentially more than those of registered forum members as a matter of course.

backo said:

Installed the new driver yesterday - no problems what so ever!

I am running a GTX 560 Ti.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I installed them and they burned my cards right up! They should tell you that they don't work with AMD cards....I'm livid I tells ya ....livid!

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

So much for unified drivers !...obviously 270.61 is not that unified.

Might be an isolated incident....I'll try updating the HD3000 graphics on this 2600K I've got here....fingers crossed.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

So much for unified drivers !...obviously 270.61 is not that unified.

Thats the spirit! okay The Chef's on board!...who else?...who else?

....now if we can get the linux drivers installed for the K2600.....oh rats

Mizzou Mizzou said:

Well, I installed these drivers yesterday and got a BSOD this morning waking the system up from sleep mode. Rolled back to 267.91 and everything appears to be normal again, guess I'll wait for the next release or hotfix.