Portal 2 faces backlash over paid DLC, short campaign

By on April 20, 2011, 8:32 PM
With a Metascore of 95 based on 19 professional reviews, it would be an understatement to say Portal 2 was met with overwhelming praise when it launched this Tuesday. Of those 19 critics, all rated the game above 90 out of 100 and many of them described the sequel as a "masterpiece." Eurogamer in specific said Portal 2 is beyond perfect, scoring the game 100 out of 100.

Despite its universal acclaim among critics, gamers seem less convinced about the title's success. As of writing, approximately one third of Metacritic users have given the game a "mixed" or "negative" review, lowering the overall user score to 7.5 out of 10 for PC. Interestingly, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions are currently faring just as poorly at 6.9.

Most of the anger seems to be directed at Portal 2's virtual store. Like Team Fortress 2, Portal 2 lets you purchase in-game cosmetics such as gestures, hats and skins for co-op characters. There's reportedly $80 worth of downloadable customizations and although they don't affect actual gameplay, players are disappointed in Valve for the blatant nickel and diming.

The developer is also catching flack over its Portal 2-themed alternate reality game. The ARG concluded by having participants purchase and play indie games on Steam in exchange for having Portal 2 released early. Despite a large community effort, the game was only released a few hours ahead of schedule. One user called the ARG a "money-grubbing viral marketing campaign."

Besides the virtual store and questionable marketing, some users are ticked over the game's relatively brief campaign. The single-player portion seems to take between five and eight hours depending on quickly you solve the puzzles, while the multiplayer lasts about three to six hours. That's admittedly toward the short side of things considering the game's full retail price.

Although the first Portal was criticized for being short, most fans overlooked the game's length because it was considered a freebie alongside HL2: E2 and TF2 in The Orange Box. The concept of using portals was also new to most players at the time, whereas some fans of the original say they cruised through Portal 2 because Valve has rehashed many of the puzzles and challenges.

We've also seen angry comments by PC gamers who say Portal 2 is a console port. Apparently, Valve slipped up and left a small console-related message when the PC version is saving: "Saving Game… Please don't turn off your console." Although this is a bit sloppy, we think PC gamers often use the phrase "console port" a little too loosely and it seems unjustified here.

From our perspective, some disgruntled gamers have a fair argument. Valve's marketing strategy and virtual store feel tacky to us and we agree that Portal 2's single-player experience is shorter than expected. However, we get the vibe that most negative user reviews are out for blood instead of offering a balanced summary. Do you feel like you got your money's worth?

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Im upset myself. It was underwhelming. Definately not long enough.

Moneys worth? IDK, it doesnt feel like 60 bucks but if you pay attention to the fine details and the hard work they put in to all of the story and level around you then it will seem better. It is also the most fun i have had in a video game in a long time, I can only think of cod4 private matches and GTAIV free mode. so while it doesnt appear to be the best game of all time just go back through and take a deeper look at it.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

I've only played a couple hours into it, but the "loading" screen is pissing me off already. For a $45 game PC game, it should utilize PC's memory superiority and load much less than a console. I'm pretty disappointed in it overall, only because the price doesn't match the product. It should be a $20 game.

Cota Cota said:

Thats because your console overall gameplay flow sux :P

Personally i had been watching some videos of portal 2 and i cant wait to get my next payment to buy it.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

There is no doubt about it, Portal 2 was made for the consoles than ported to PC. On that note, it doesn't really matter because portal was never meant to be it's own game. Portal 1 was free and that's why I played it otherwise I wouldn't have. Portal 2 looks interesting but I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it if even and that was before the reviews of it. $60 for this game is a rip-off plain and simple and those who paid only make these companies realize they can get away with it, thanks 360 gamers for making $60 default *thumbs down*

You forgot to mention the thousands of PC gamers who cannot play the game due to a mulitude of crashes and bugs. A quick browse on the steam forum for Portal 2 reveals many disgruntled fans....

TrueBooleanFals TrueBooleanFals said:

at least they aren't 70 dollars by 'default', here's looking at you PS3. Why does nobody remember that the PS3 was overpriced on both console and game side?

Anyways, not gonna pay anything for a game that doesn't at least give me half of what I bought. I expect 30 minutes of gameplay per every dollar spent. If the game costs less than that... SCHWEET I got my moneys worth. I dont think this would be a kind of game that Multiplayer really adds any extra time to being played.

Add some easter eggs, make something 'hardcore', super star secret levels or something, races.

Look around, whiny gamers who want a million hours of gameplay and don't want to pay for it - you are why everyone is abandoning the PC as a dev platform.

You might as well promise to pirate everything for all the damage you've already caused yourselves.

Such amazingly entitled attitudes. It boggles the mind.

Also, I would like to note the "backlash" is largely in the minds of people who write stories for little blogs like this. In the real world, Portal 2 is selling like gangbusters, nearly universally praised, and will probably end up GOTY even though it came out in April.

i think it was worth the $45 and waiting to the last second of the count down to play whit my friend it even tho all togetter it took 9 hour to finish single and coop i still think they did a good job, they mit even add some more chambers to the coop whit the DLC and compare to the frist even whit about 6 of the orgiale portal chambers there are almost 8 x more than in the first plus there alot more to look for when achvement hunting

TrueBooleanFals TrueBooleanFals said:

who said anything about pirating? If a game was good, props, if a game was bad and I paid more than I thought I should have... no props. My money and leisure is more important than filling money hungry business-mens' pockets. A game like portal is good on gameplay and mechanics, but today, we must expect more. I doubt if anything pirating is 'hurting' PC game sales at all comparatively to console. Crack it, hack it, Mod it, what have you. Really hurting the PC? Its expandability and SO many configurations.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Hey bro. I want on the payroll to troll sites like this with my paid corporate bias. Where do I send my resume? Troll.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

This is precisely the reason for not pre-ordering games, and not buying them on the release date, unless you have a huge need to share your gameplay experience with others. Considering that these days you can have the feedback of a 100,000 users within 8 hours of a game's release, its always good to wait a bit to make sure there are no glaring problems.

I've been to 4 non game sites so far where I've learned all I need to know about this game. A lot of fun, kinda short for a puzzle game, console port thing is overhyped, and DLCs are par for the course "hatware" from Valve, and people are pissed off about the potato sack scam which only made the game come out a few hours sooner. No spoilers, nothing that would detract from my game experience if I chose to order the game right now.

And Guest above me, go back to your Xbox. If we want to sit here and reminisce about the good old days when PC games were good, not buggy, and a good value, we can. Its not entitlement, its called perspective. If you bought a car 10 years ago for $20,000 and it got 30 miles to the gallon, why would I not complain about spending $40,000 now and getting 10 miles to the gallon?

GOTY? I highly doubt it. If it does its because the complete refusal to admit that valve is now joining the ranks of the money hungry developers such as Activision. They are no longer the true Gamers development studio. Just another trying to squeeze every last dollar out of anyone they can.

O wait but look what valve lead devs have said in the past

ime-you-31677.phtml

"You buy the product, you get the content," Valve's Robin Walker informed Eurogamer. Reassuring news I suppose, but one would assume Valve's merely trying to make themselves look really good next to the console market's love of anally abusing its customers. Somewhat like the clever boy in class who swiftly answers a question that his classmate failed, so he appears smart until that same classmate drowns him in the toilet at lunchtime.

"We make more money because more people buy it, not because we try and nickel-and-dime the same customers." But enough about that, how did you get that freakin' valve in the bald dude's head!?

O wait how about the fact that CONSOLES get 8 FREE unlockable gestures and the PC get NONE.

Keep on believing that Valve is still the Mother Teresa of the gaming industry and before you know it you will have COD style DLC's forced down your throat for bugged out game.

I just beat Portal 2 and loved it! Yes, Valve is better than making so much DLC so quickly, but the purchases don't do anything. They aren't levels or anything important. I would say the game is worth 50 to 60 dollars. The co-op is also a lot of fun with friends. Portal 2 is easily just as good as the first. They made a few slip ups but still a fantastic game in my mind.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Guest just farted roses. *Sniffffff* Ahhh, that made everything so much better. Thanks.

Why all the hate? stop it!!! make the bad men stop!!! :'(

Yeah, he's a roll and paid by corporations because he doesn't agree with you. I'm gonna start pretending I think everyone who says negative things are paid by competing companies to trash games just to counteract you giant tools.

Check with anyone who's actually playing the game and isn't out trolling Metacritic or Steam, they're loving it. Everyone I know who's playing it is loving it. EVERYONE WHO KNOWS SH*T ABOUT GAMES IS LOVING IT. Best critical review scores of the year, period. Deal with it you trolling little pile of garbage.

insect said:

I love it... Yea, I already beat the game and got the achievements (which BTW grant you two free items { beanie and heart flag]) in 8.2 hours play time, but it was fun. The humor, the puzzles, the story.. all great! The money for non-game breaking "upgrades"... well, that's not going anywhere anytime soon and I expect it will be in all future Valve games, probably cause they've made millions on the TF2 store.

Personally, I don't see any issue.

---Store/DLC: You're not forced to buy it, it does nothing to change the gameplay, Valve will surely give actual DLC/expansions for free to the PC crowd, as they always do. No biggie here, at least for me, and I really don't see why it should bother anyone (but that's just me).

---Length: It's been reported for months that the singleplayer length of the game would be about twice the length as the first game, which would make it around 6 to 8 hours. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone who has read any preview article. On top of that, there's the co-op play, which was also said to add an addition 3 to 5 hours. Again, no surprise.

Anyone who was following the game even a tiny bit shouldn't kick up any fuss as they should've already known what was in store.

Compared to some games, $50 is a little steep for Portal 2 due to length, but I knew what I was in for. Don't like it, do your research next time. It's Pre-Order 101 to find out if it's worth it, don't go in blindly even if you love Valve so much. They're my favorite company, but I followed the game, I knew the general length, I have no regrets. I got what I was expected.

---Console message: Many pieces of games are developed with the same files across all platforms. They slipped and left what was probably a tiny file included in the PC version. It's easy to overlook, especially if they made it so all they would have to do is remove it to get rid of the message without breaking anything.

---ARG: No one was forced to participate. It's not like Valve threatened to not release Portal 2 if we didn't participate. Valve has always given tons of support to indie developers while other companies treat them poorly (Super Meat Boy creator talked in an interview about how Microsoft shafted him) or give them no attention at all. The ARG was meant to get us excited for Portal 2, find out a bit more about the story behind it and give some love to indie developers. What is there to complain about? Every other company delays games, what's wrong with at least being given a chance to get one early?

I dunno, just my feelings about it.

It seems unreasonable to complain about the length. Does a 1 hour movie cost half the price of a 2 hour movie? Is a really long book better than a short one? If they would have added 75 difficult "test chambers" then it would have been a much longer game, but it would have frustrated the average player by wasting their time and it would have made the story drag on unnecessarily. Portal 2 is brilliantly paced and not one second longer, or shorter, than it should be.

The ARG was a waste of time, and day 1 DLC is a shady move, but both of those are intended to be "extras" (for people who want to waste their time and/or money)... In other words, they have nothing to do with the game itself.

I'll wait until Portal 2 goes on 'special' months down the track and nab it from the virtual "bargain bin". Yet another FPS style game with a short campaign. It seems to take half a decade for developers to catch the needs of gamers. Long Story Driven Campaigns + Brilliant Multiplayer... how hard is this to get? Let's hope Duke Nukem Forever's campaign is as long as its original releases.

This sequel was awesome better than I expected it to be. Valve has been awesome with it's products in the past present and I'm sure the future. I can't wait to see how the Half-Life series intertwines with the Portal series!

PS: Master Piece is perfect to describe this game. Simply Amazing, Simply Valve! Keep the great work!

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

I've never seen so many Guest comments. Valve is spending their profit wisely.

over all, I thought this was a really well crafted game with some mind boggling puzzles. The campaign might have been a bit short but i knew this might be the case so i paced my self going through the game. The way i see it is, this game is a peace of art, it not something to be rushed. While my friends ran a head and finished it on the day felling happy about completing it, but soon after they felt a little short changed due to them finishing it so soon. While my self felt happy about completing it and quite satisfied because i took the time and didn't finish it on the day.

The co-op campaign was quite fun and really enjoyable, but seeing as i've played the co-op around 3-4 times now with different friends i hasn't really lost it's replay value for me.

A Stunning game .

rareh said:

Well i was really disappointed.

Short(4 hours).

Day 1 DLC(where are the values ?)

No DX11 or even DX10 and doesn't look like a 2011 game, looks more like a 2005 game or something ported from consoles.

No challenge maps like in the first.

Super easy(1st was much harder).

No split-screen like in the console versions.

The game tried way to hard to be funny and failed a lot of the times, i probably only laughed once.

No "versus" multiplayer only co-op, i can imagine a race multiplayer mode where the fastest to finish the map wins.

Not nearly enough new game mechanics.

Lots of the puzzles were reused from the first one.

Overpriced(if this were for 10 or 5 bucks then these issues wouldn't be much of a problem).

etc

My recommendation is get Portal 1, play challenge, advanced maps and download the hardest custom maps.

Get Portal 2 when its for 5 bucks or something.

Leeky Leeky said:

That, and the eventual reduction in price (although not as important as your point) are the precise reasons I wait before buying a newly released game.

Time and time again its the right decision - having severe problems playing a game would put me off so much I'd never use it again. Maybe others are more patient and don't mind, but I can't stand it.

To everyone complaining about the day 1 DLC: WHY?!? If you don't like it, ten don't buy any of it. simple as that. There are people in this planet, believe it or not, who WILL spend their hard earned money on these items. Why? because they WANT TO. Valve isn't forcing anyone to buy these DLC items. Not buying them doesn't make the game worse for any of you. I don't see why you get so upset about this.

I hope you all realize that the game industry is simply that, AN INDUSTRY. If you want a high production game, it takes a high budget.How does a company obtain a high budget? HIGH SALES. The developers need the money so they can not only pay their staff, but also get funds for their projects. People these days get so hung up on whether they get enough game play time or free content. If developers gave all of this stuff away, then there would be no budget for anything else.

Believe it or not, all the games you enjoy needed MONEY TO MAKE THEM. without this profit, you wouldn't be playing games. It's as simple as that. If they can make a profit off of dlc that some people actually WANT, then by all means I'd love to see them do so. It just means more money to more good games. If you don't think they're good, don't buy them. But don't act surprised that a COMPANY is trying to MAKE MONEY. It's how the world functions properly people.

Omnislip said:

supersmashbrada said:

Im upset myself. It was underwhelming. Definately not long enough.

Loads more chambers would have been really boring. I feel they got exactly the right balance between doing chambers, running away and doing the Bioshock-like exploring of something unknown.

just finished the game, both single and co-op. While the gameplay was as good as could be expected, I feel ripped off due to the length of the game. I don't care what anyone says, thats the last time I spend any money on the Portal franchise. If there's a part 3, im going to piratre it and get back what I'm owed from this game.

I feel robbed to be honest. If I could get my money back I wouldn't hesitate :( damn peer pressure.

Valve is all about the money. They make some quality stuff, but they charge 10X what anyone else does for the same amount of game play. It would be great if they gave you 10X the game play, but usually it is only 2X, but people eat it up.

I despise steam and valve software, but I give them credit for doing what they do well, make money.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I got the game from Skidrow (as I usually do to find out if the games is worth buying), and I found out that if I had payed 60 bucks for it, I would have been ripped off. Portal 2, as ingenious as the gameplay can be, is simply NOT worth $40-$60 dollars. It's just not.

Still, Top 10 game of 2011 easily though...

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

I have not bought the game, but I have played the original and really liked it.

I very much remember Valve saying that Portal 1 was just a "training ground" or similar wording about Portal 1, hinting that the second game would be much more difficult...

But most PC users are saying that the complexity of the rooms have been brought down, and that there is no longer any extremely accurate timing or aiming required like there was in the first game where you had to get multiple portals right while you where in the air sometimes.

This trailer is from last year, a promotion for Portal 2, it shows what I am speaking about.

[link]

If I'm reading the comments right then the Portal 2 that was released was "dumbed down" from this, I guess to cater better to the controllers on a console not offering anywhere near the level of precision a mouse + keyboard offers...

$30 dollar game. I would pay $9.99 for additional 100 puzzle puzzle packs.

The crashes I speculate are related to pirated copies. Everyone I know has had no problems and they own legit copies.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Per Hansson said:

I have not bought the game, but I have played the original and really liked it.

[link]

I can confirm that none of the puzzle are any where near the complexity of whats seen in that video, the only time I found it difficult was when I was falling asleep and couldn't concentrate properly (Long day of work and only got to the game at 10:00 PM) This was also towards the end of the game. Honestly the game was fun and can understand the cost of development that went into it, its worth playing just the price is a tad steep. On PC at $45 isn't too bad but it should have retailed at $40 and pre-purchase should have been closer to the $30 mark, console gamers are getting hosed as usual but that's not really my concern. Overall it took no more then 4 hours to play through at a steady pace and I do feel a little empty after, I don't feel "ripped off" just there was a lack of satisfaction. Maybe its the lack of replay ability or the linear nature of the game, maybe its just me.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I've had graphical glitches and a single crash, I did purchase the game and not pirate it. Might be a crossfire issue.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I do feel I got my moneys worth from Portal 2, especially considering some retailers were selling it for as low as $35 dollars before launch which is unheard of for a big release. However I am still a bit let-down with some decisions Valve made. I honestly expected the single-player to be longer, especially considering the early chapters were more of a reboot to catch up new players then a true sequel. Also all the loading between different rooms/chambers was kind of irritating. In any case, I'm sure these issues will be addressed by either Valve or the community in the coming months, at least I hope so .

Regarding the DLC, I can understand some of the frustration and feeling as if Valve is trying to nickel & dime everything, especially since this isn't a true multiplayer game like TF2. In my opinion they should have waited to add the in-game store until they release a major content patch. Either way, it is still being blown out of proportion considering that these are cosmetic changes only.

Per Hansson said:

I have not bought the game, but I have played the original and really liked it.

[link]

Indeed, the difficulty was definitely not what I imagined. I knew going in that the early part of the game was likely going to feel more like a reboot then a sequel and this is very much the case in the first couple of chapters. However continuing deeper into single-player the complexity never really grew to a degree where I was left stumped. Pretty much every puzzle I figured out by just a glance at the room rather then trial & error like the first. And while the new gel game-mechanics were a lot of fun, the lack of challenging timing & portal precision was absolutely missed.

Why are you even here posting on this 'little' blog? Clearly it's beneath you...or more likely you're just trolling. Get over it, not everyone here is going to share the same opinion as you. These complaints are being covered by several gaming & tech blogs, shoot even G4 who has a cable channel talked about it.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Here is a comprehensive post about all the bugs found so far in Portal 2. Maybe someone has a solution for your issue? This game isn't demanding whatsoever so ya you don't even need crossfire, but I'm sure you're already aware of this.

Portal 2 was perfectly paced. I can't believe people are using "length" as an argument for the single-player, this isn't half-life 2. You are solving puzzles that get increasingly difficult and challenging throughout the game. What Valve did was sacrifice length for gameplay and story, and rightfully so. If it was any longer it would have gotten old. Puzzles can only get so hard.

The story is not 4 hours, it is 6-12 depending on ability. Anyone who claims it's 4 hours can either not keep track of time or no-clipped their way through it.

Also, how can it possibly be a console port? Valve has ALWAYS been PC first. They developed it using PC tools designed FOR the PC and released to the public. The only thing that seemed "Consoley" to me is the loading screen mishap and the menu was scrollable using your arrow keys.

The Store is another thing entirely. I can't believe that people are such big babies that they are complaining that you can buy little stickers and flags for your co-op robots. Valve will never sell things you are required to purchase like new DLC. They're stickers and hats people.

Kayden Kayden said:

So your view on Crysis 2 with the whole "press start" thing is what? I could be an ass here but I'm not because I think your view is very short sighted because if they had proper work on the PC ver (both companies) this would not have happened. It is just ludicrous to give them wiggle room with this kind of stuff because we are seeing the proof in the pudding right there but you want to give them something they don't deserve when this is happening more and more with devs?!? I am a hardcore PC gamer I also play console games but I can not enjoy them as I do on the PC because I like speed and efficency and my PC hardware has both, console not so much. Examples: like looking around, load times and etc. Devs (valve and crytek included) are getting lazy and PC gamers are being treated with sloppy seconds plain and simple so it is justified to call this a Console Port through and through. I have no problems with other games keep this in mind Bulletstorm wasn't that great but I didn't feel like I was playing console port even though the level design did suggest it but it wasn't in my face like P2 or C2.

Quality over quantity. That is all I have to say.

I've beaten the single player twice, working on the co-op, and honestly, it seems to me that the only people complaining are those who cannot appreciate the story. The pacing was awesome, the writing was hilarious, and the voice actors were phenomenal. I don't feel ripped off in the slightest; you can really see all the effort put into this game.

And anyways, this is not an RPG, this is a PUZZLE game. Anything more than 8 hours would just be boring.

I'm pretty sure you've got your head up your butt; I go to a restaurant and pay $70, I expect a GOOD prime rib when I order a prime rib, not a McDonald's happy meal. I buy a game for $70 you have EVERY RIGHT to expect a game that is developed for the PC, and has more then 8-10hrs play total MP-SP. and if you do plan to charge this amount then you'd better be giving away DLC and extras online, which they most definitely are not..

single player is way too short. defiantly not worth the money. sort it out valve.

Puiu Puiu said:

The game is just really fun. Why can't people accept that and stop the stupid flaming?

quality over quantity. How many games have bought and stopped playing in the middle?

and what's wrong with supporting indie games?

i've seen people complaining about the graphics. it's a beautiful looking game and if you can't see this then you just want to complained and you don't know how.

PS: the metacritic score for the PC is rising: 7.8 as of writing this.

I for one dissagree with a lot that was being said. Portal 2 was Fantastic! the length? Considering the amount of gameplay between the single and multiplayer was amazing. Heres how I break it down.

Gameplay: 10

Humor: 10 (any game that can make me actually laugh out loud multipal times wins IMO)

Challenge: 8 (I played the first portal and I consider myself very good at the game.)

Length: 10 (I played all the way through single and multi-player. Length is just fine considering the first one was extreamly short)

Price on things in the stoer: 2 (I agree, things were way too expensive in the online store. Suggestion; make them ALL unlockable? due to achivements or something along those lines? I for one bought the whole pack for 34.99, which was said to be an $80 value.)

All in all.. the game is fantastic. Look past the stupid parts that ALL games have, and Enjoy the game!

~$ilver $p0oN

I don't care. I paid 38 dollars for Portal 2. I haven't paid full price for a game for ages.

Just wait for a couple of months Valve will put this on sale at USD 15.00 or so. it happened to Left 4 Dead 2 so it should happen to Portal 2. Also, it should be able to correct all the bugs this game has and maybe include a couple of DLC's as free for that matter.

Buying a Steam game on Day 1 does not cut it these days, look at Black Ops. Unplayable until after a month or 2 from release.

Zecias said:

for the people that dont think the game is worth the money maybe your should wait?

you know there are these things called sales where u can get stuff for cheaper right?

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Since Man Co, valve was lost.