Weekend Open Forum: Will Windows 8 be worth buying?

By on May 6, 2011, 8:25 PM

Calling Microsoft's latest operating system a success would be an understatement. In roughly a year and a half, Windows 7 surpassed XP as the most used operating system in the US and it's hailed as Microsoft's all-time fastest-selling OS, moving 300 million licenses as of January 2011. With Redmond recommitted to a three-year release cycle, Windows 8 is poised to arrive sometime next year -- but is anyone ready to pony up for another upgrade?

Most users seem thoroughly satisfied with Windows 7 as it represents a much-needed overhaul for XP and it addresses many of Vista's issues. Logic stands to reason that if Microsoft wants to lure customers away from Windows 7, its next operating system will have to take some risks -- and we all remember how that worked out for Vista. Based on Redmond's announcements and leaked pre-release builds, Windows 8 will bring the following changes:

It doesn't take an expert to see that many of the updates are intended to make Windows more relevant in the mobile market. Considering full-fledged desktops and laptops are the meat and potatoes of Microsoft's Windows revenue, we assume some features are also instore for the standard user. Our question to you is: what will it take for you to purchase Windows 8? Will you buy it no matter what? Are there any changes you'd like to see?

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Cueto_99 said:

Don't think so... Not gonna pay a grand for some OS "DLC"... I'll wait for a complete overhaul...

treeski treeski said:

Just from all of the rumors I've seen... A huge resounding yes! I love the 'metro' theme that Microsoft has been pushing, and a lot of the new features look great. I'm excited!

tw0rld tw0rld said:

I think the timing is wrong. I do not see businesses transitioning to win 8 when they are just getting accustomed to 7. Also the cost will no doubt make companies hesitant.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

treeski said:

What rumor are you hearing that we haven't? On the latest builds we've all seen, there's no metro theme, just a metro-like logon screen. If you're willing to pay 200+ for that....

PaulWuzHere PaulWuzHere said:

I see a 5 year release cycle being more sensible, but what do I know? I'm only a consumer.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

If they have a beta, I'll try that out, if they don't I'll try it out through other means, and go from there.

The ribbon/cloud, etc, is not that much of a big deal for me. I expect that it will run like 7 under the hood, so I would not expect any major performance gains, so it will probably be down to the integration between the desktop/tablet/phone.

Also depends if they provide some kind of upgrade benefit for 7 owners. I could see them having XP or Vista owners pay more or less full price, but to expect 7 owners to shell out $200, well, they'd have to really put something impressive on there to warrant the purchase.

But we're still talking about a year, so I'm really just gonna wait and see.

I'll probably install it somewhere just to play with it, but for a real, usable OS, you're generally better off skipping a version. Example:

Win 98

skip ME

XP

skip vista

Win 7

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Win 98

skip ME

XP

skip vista

Win 7

.....and skip Windows 8

Buy Windows X-Holographic.....Damn, I wasn't suppose to leak that!

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

I wouldn't pay $10 for this. It would have to improve speed all around, including under 5 seconds boot up and shut down, and instant resume...then and only then would i consider getting windows 8.

As b. gates is still making billions, don't you think these new OS versions should be a tad cheaper?

motrin said:

if theres going to be a discount for students then yes.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

If it's inexpensive enough maybe, otherwise no.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Why does everybody blame the boot up time solely on the operating system?

If they improve the app software, then maybe. For example, Media Player needs to be able to play blu-rays etc with 7.1 sound and have all the functionality of Foobar for music too...this is just one example. Considering the cost of Windows, it really needs to have better apps.

Microsoft seem to have a habit of releasing their software too early with loads of bugs in it just so they can start a revenue stream from it.

So, I'll be hanging on for Win 9 in 2014.

I'm still using XP on this computer. I have Ubuntu 11.04 on my music server and Win 7 on my notebook.

If osx can boot fast not sure why windows can't either. It does boot pretty quick but it can be a tad better.

Leeky Leeky said:

If I can grab another cheap as chips academic license I'll get it - the rest of the house is staying on W7 for the next few years at least.

I'd sooner move everything else over to Linux full time and save the money tbh!

Jurassic4096 said:

Can't wait! My inner techie is getting too used to W7.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

.....and skip Windows 8

Buy Windows X-Holographic.....Damn, I wasn't suppose to leak that!

What happened to "Windows 9"? Or do you think that it will be a named version? Maybe, "Windows, Oops, We Screwed You Again", with Britney Spears a** for wallpaper.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

captaincranky said:

Why does everybody blame the boot up time solely on the operating system?

No kidding, since I got an SSD my boot time has improved markedly, but it still takes 30 seconds to get out of the ASUS BIOS.

Jurassic4096 said:

paulwuzhere said:

So as consumers we are forced to buy it? Thanks, I did not know that.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Is it Phoenix-Award or something else? The Phoenix Award in my i3 box(Gigabyte H-55) seems to zip right by. (Although I've never actually timed it. Hm, maybe I should). With the HDDs running in AHCI, most of the IDE polling crawl never shows.....?

Leeky Leeky said:

So as consumers we are forced to buy it? Thanks, I did not know that.

That doesn't matter, they'll sell billions off of the back of OEM sales on new equipment alone.

They'll more than make their money either way.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Too little, too soon. Wait another 3 years before releasing 8 and I'll be tempted.

They need to be upgrading Windows 7 and Vista with new features, not playing Apple with their updates.

Jurassic4096 said:

gwailo247 said:

captaincranky said:

Why does everybody blame the boot up time solely on the operating system?

30 seconds just to POST? I've had three ASUS boards back to back to back and i've never experienced that long a POST with IDE drives, but went Gigabyte this time around, and it takes my system 35 seconds for a complete restart on a Gigabyte board and C300 64GB on SATA II port.

Jurassic4096 said:

Leeky said:

So as consumers we are forced to buy it? Thanks, I did not know that.

They'll more than make their money either way.

I know that, but that wasn't what he was implying.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

At what point to you think they'll summon the cajones to try and ram a subscription OS up our collective kisters?

Not too far fetched actually, as Adobe is starting this as of CS 5.5 issues.

Jurassic4096 said:

Not too far fetched actually, as Adobe is starting this as of CS 5.5 issues.

And of course the only software available is made by Adobe and Microsoft.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

just a guess, but 8 is built from the same kernel as 7. I'm a guess'in '9' will be back to alpha name. They will probably have a contest. Wasn't windows XP named ostensibly from a contest? I seem to have a vague memory of that.

I cant believe they have not done it so far.

Not for me...until you cant purchase it anymore. Which will probably be next month. I bought my copy of CS5...think they will try to retroactively make it a sub? I would not put it past them....I didn't read all the fine print.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

And of course the only software available is made by Adobe and Microsoft.

Well no, obviously it isn't. But for an OS and imaging software, those are the big two. but suppose you're a company with volume licensing, or an individual that needs Adobe product, A pro using Photoshop, is not likely to be happy with some Arcsoft or Corel imaging garbage. Besides, most imaging plug-in software is designed to run in Photoshop.

If you're thinking along the lines of "Adobe Reader" sucks, so I'll install "Foxit", I suppose that'll fly, if you like toolbars.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well, I'm sure you've figured out that activation is automatic, you can't avoid it. And "Adobe Updater" is almost pure spyware. The trash wanted to update itself to a newer version of "Adobe Updater". When it's not doing that, it's trying to sell you more s**. So, it's adware and spyware.

In spite of the fact that PSE-7, is allegedly a serial number activated program, it still has, "FNP Licensing Service" running in the background, and that's supposed to be activation protocol.

Next time, try letting this: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/eulalyzer.html read Adobe's BS for you. Wait until you see all the red flags that's likely to throw up.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Yep, unfortunately, not much you can do about it. There just isn't anything else out there that rivals it, so they get away with it. I do wonder why 3DSMax 2012 doesn't do the same. It doesn't have any real competition, but I don't see any of that garbage, or maybe it's just more stealthy.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

captaincranky said:

I rebooted and I timed it at 23 seconds. Takes 42 seconds to get to logon screen, then about 5 more to load up all the startup items.

BIOS are American Megatrends.

It has slowed down a bit over time. Used to come out of sleep almost instantly, now it takes a second or two longer.

p51d007 said:

LOL who boots a computer these days?

My home computer is only booted after a win update requires it.

The laptop stays in sleep mode most of the time. Heck, I can stuff it in the bag Friday after work, leave it in sleep mode (HDD power down after 1 hour), and Monday morning I still have between 92-97% remaining.

I'm a gamer.

I'm not gonna say I'm 100% sure what to call a platform these days, but it seems to me that DirectX is becoming more of a "platform" than Windows itself.

WinXP was limited to DX9, so I simply had to get Vista in order to use my DX10 hardware and play what few DX10 games were out there. Then Windows 7 hit the fan with DX11, which you could only get with Windows 7. I go where the DirectX goes, and I'll keep on doing that for as long as games require DirectX. If this trend, adding a new version of DirectX with each new version of Windows keeps up, then (as a gamer) the choice has been removed from the equasion.

I just did a couple searching and read a little bit about Win8, and it seems it might be shipping with DX12. If it does, and if you can't get DX12 for Win7 then that's that. I'd have to get Win8. Case closed.

The way Microsoft has been using this situation to force gamers into buying their next OS is pure marketing genius (and potentially also pure evil).

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

The "most evil tech companies" was the subject of last week's open forum. The thread is still open if you feel the need for additional venting: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic164498.html Go ahead, it'll be fun.

Zecias said:

p51d007 said:

LOL who boots a computer these days?

My home computer is only booted after a win update requires it.

for the laptop to use so little energy it must be hibernate, not sleep(sleep: computer instantly starts, hibernate: takes around 20-30secs).

and as for your desktop why waste energy just to save the 1-2 mins it takes to boot your computer? you could probably buy an ssd with the money you save and reduce the boot time to 30-60 secs.

mosu said:

Too soon 2 tell.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

LOL who boots a computer these days?

My home computer is only booted after a win update requires it.

Mostly people that are aware of the fact that Windows, (particularly XP), repairs itself during the boot process. Of course VIPs such as yourself needn't bother.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Not one of those "upgrades" I have an interest in. And absolutely loath the ribbon UI. I'm very happy with Windows 7. Believe I'll be staying with that for quite a while.

ess333 said:

OS DLC .... good one ... i will refrain from buying ..

nismo91 said:

two words: too fast.

If next improvement of windows os come together with an improved version of KINECT (as hardware) and has embedded api support for that, then it will success.

The IT industry needs something clever and revolutionary and something like that is not necessary hard in implementation.

Ithryl said:

I just hope the 3 year release cycle doesn't become a 1 year release cycle and then a half a year release cycle. Windows 8.5, 8.75 or whatever. Kinda like what Adobe does nowadays. You almost get to order an upgrade for CS 5.5 before you even get to try the CS 5 out properly.

They better put some more work to DX and development for Windows as it's still a pain in the arse.

rajmond said:

I do not have the clue what to expect from it. I think when we have it, and after some time of usage, then we can give a comment to this post!

yowanvista yowanvista said:

No need to buy it, I get all my OSes from P2P

Have to agree, whilst the OS has to have some effect, most PC are still using BIOS which is hugely outdated and is a massive drag on boot times. Use an SSD and UEFI and the boot times drop alot

@ tw0rld Businesses have to wait until they move to a new operating system, for all the security and reliability issues to be fixed. A lot of them are still running XP and Vista (well, most of them to be honest). Only after Win 7 SP1 did some of them make the transition. So a lot of time will pass until the transition is made to Windows 8.

Windows 8 will be mainly a consumer product for the first few years I will wait a couple of months and see the reviews, but most probably I will buy it too.

SSaywell said:

Yh, I'll buy it, Reason: Love having the latest stuff

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

DirectX 11 is not limited to Win7, it is available for Vista aswell.

The limitation they did in not making it available for Windows XP has hurt PC gaming enough.

Still to this day 50% are on XP, and only a fifth or so of systems are on Win7.

This divides the PC landscape and makes the lives of game developers so much harder.

Why do you think most games released today a decade after DirectX 9 was released still only support that API, and not the later releases?