Samsung designs AMOLED display that can be folded 100,000 times

By on May 15, 2011, 2:55 PM

Samsung researchers in South Korea have designed and built a prototype of a seamless foldable Active-matrix organic light-emitting diode (AMOLED) display. The display's mechanical and optical robustness were tested by performing 100,000 folding-unfolding cycles. The relative brightness at the junction decreased by just 6 percent, which is hardly recognizable by the human eye and so the deterioration can be considered negligible. The findings have been published in a recent issue of Applied Physics Letters.

The display consists of two AMOLED panels, silicone rubber (a hyperelastic material), a module case, and a protective glass cover (which not only prevents scratches but can also serve as a touch screen). The display has a very small folding radius of just 1 mm, so that one panel lies almost completely on top of the other when the display is folded at a 180° angle. "All the materials in a foldable window unit (glasses and silicone rubber) must have almost the same optical properties and attach to each other strongly without any optical property change," coauthor HongShik Shim of the Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology told PhysOrg.

In their study, the researchers explain that most flexible displays, which are becoming increasingly more viable and interesting to mobile companies, are bendable or rollable to avoid the creases that occur from folding a material completely in half. The researchers have overcome this problem by creating an AMOLED display with no visible crease: the key to pulling this off is to control the optical properties of the materials.

Some believe that foldable displays could be the future of mobile devices as they solve the problem of minimizing the size of the device while simultaneously maximizing the size of the display. A display that can fold completely in half is the best way to achieve this goal, but so far it has been a challenge to eliminate the visible crease between panels. Now that obstacle has been surmounted, at least in the prototype phase.

Scshadow said:

Just think... a phone that can fold out to a tablet. Thanks for the very interesting article.

dotVezz said:

Hmm... interesting. We've all been dreaming of folding display panels for years, maybe someday we'll actually get one?

Modeazy said:

Wow.Sometimes I worry:what will we leave for future generations to achieve?

freythman freythman said:

modeazy said:

Wow.Sometimes I worry:what will we leave for future generations to achieve?

Time travel. Teleportation. We have a long way to go.

princeton princeton said:

Make an e book reader that you can hold like an actual book by using each screen for a page.

"Time travel. Teleportation. We have a long way to go."

World peace, no more hungry people, justice, no more killing, people don't using time travel or teleportation to kick somebody else ***?, we hace a looooong way to go.

PinothyJ said:

freythman said:

modeazy said:

Wow.Sometimes I worry:what will we leave for future generations to achieve?

Time travel. Teleportation. We have a long way to go.

Time Travel cannot exist and they have already created working teleportation , albeit on a very small scale. They have already created an invisible cloak and levitated a tiny piece of gold, again, on very basic and/or small scale but the technology is still there in its infant form.

How about they sort out global warming...

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

scshadow said:

People in 2050 will pick out their watches, pop them open - out comes a crumbled piece of cellphone. They shake it once, it unfolds to the size of a tablet, wow - the future is near

Based on Nikola Tesla's work in the fields of electromagnetism, scientists have also levitated several ferromagnetic objects ranging from metal bowling-balls to a package of yoghurt.

mpsteel said:

pinothyj said:

freythman said:

modeazy said:

Wow.Sometimes I worry:what will we leave for future generations to achieve?

Time travel. Teleportation. We have a long way to go.

How about they sort out global warming...

You should really say, traveling back in time cannot exist. Traveling into the future is possible, Albert Einstein theory of relativity proves this.

A very promising hardware development neither the less.

ramonsterns said:

You won't be alive when they make spaceships capable of interstellar travel.

;_;

NeoFryBoy said:

They won't make spaceships capable of interstellar travel.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

neofryboy said:

They won't make spaceships capable of interstellar travel.

Not at the rate they're going, lol. We're just taking steps backwards, it seems.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I never knew that yogurt was ferromagnetic

Arris Arris said:

Now awaiting Nintendo to jump on this technology for next gen "Game & Watch".

"How about they sort out global warming..."

I read somewhere that they have a possible solution already.

Silly gizmos that make you think less. Why exercise your memory when you have all the info you need with you, right ? I'm not the alarmist type, but a time will come when the "information age" that's supposed to help us will be our downfall.

Am I the only one that misses live concerts where people would sway their lighters and not put up their cells to take a shot ?

Yeah, go to Pulto get a chunk of ice and drop it in the ocean, job sorted.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Cellphones, tablets? Come on people, I'm thinking of ePaper, as in a screen the size of a normal piece of paper, and about as thick as a piece of posterboard or construction paper that is self powering and pulls its display via wifi/NFC, etc.

Guest@4:49 AM: Or worse yet, they have a lighter app on their phones to "simulate" having a lighter... Where's the fun in that? =/

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

pinothyj said:

How about they sort out global warming...

Haha, that's a good one!

Oh, wait. You were serious...

ramonsterns said:

neofryboy said:

They won't make spaceships capable of interstellar travel.

Yeah, I know.

It's like those ****** in the middle ages who thought men couldn't fly.

Oh wait...

MilwaukeeMike said:

Time travel into the future happens constantly... GPS sattelites are adjusted for it, and astronauts aboard the IIS age about 30seconds less over the course of a few months than they would have if they had stayed on earth. Regarding into the past... to quote stephen hawking... "I've never met anyone from the future'. (cause it's impossible)

How about something useful, like fusion. Or something that really improves my quality of life like something to make my morning commute obsolete.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

How about something useful, like fusion.

Fusion is 10 years away.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hey I'll comment just to make a snide comment...

Oh wait...

Dont be smart arses please. Technology is flying at exponential incresing speed.

Cota Cota said:

[Sarcasm]Really innovating, magnificent, amazing, cool and great, but it needs a stapler [/Sarcasm]

NeoFryBoy said:

ramonsterns said:

Yeah, I know. It's like those ****** in the middle ages who thought men couldn't fly. Oh wait...

People in the middle ages were uneducated.

Mankind merely expands and improves on current technologies without ever inventing anything new, but you can't bootstrap space travel.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wow....But then alot of people knew it was coming.

Just think, one day you might be able to fit a 50 inch TV inside your pocket!...Burglary and shoplifting are gunna get a whole lot easier

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

neofryboy said:

ramonsterns said:

People in the middle ages were uneducated.

As for the debate on interstellar travel, I don't see why we would not have it in the DISTANT future, but it won't be glamorous as science fiction makes it, and certainly not fast. Rather, I think it will most likely be advances in communication and medical technology that'll enable interstellar travel, as opposed to propulsion and power generation technology (though it will help immensely).

ramonsterns said:

neofryboy said:

ramonsterns said:

People in the middle ages were uneducated.

And maybe someone off in the far future will call *us* uneducated from the comfort of his floating chair in a space station off in a nearby solar system.

Whoaman said:

There is only change. Time is a delusion caused by the misinterpretation of memory in collusion with crude sensory aggregates. The ancients were aware of this. Don't confuse education with conditioning. There is a profound difference that comes from responding primarily in relation to concepts in the mind rather than directly perceiving phenomenon uncolored as it arises and passes. A primary mechanism of object consciousness is to interpret phenomenon in accordance with preserving the integrity of the delusion - otherwise there would be no feeling of a you or me (duality). But we all know when we stop distracting ourselves long enough to examine it that the death of the great deceiver (I) can and does come at any given moment often when least expected. And typically this results in a catastrophic collapse and disintegration of identity and relative truth (object consciousness) in general. Human is really only special on this planet in the fact that we are born so utterly relatively helpless and co-dependent mentally and physically that we are able to program (condition) our little ones to interpret the world however we like. It is this factor (starting off with a great big empty head) that explains the unfathomable quantity of nonsense that we are able to generate and perpetuate.

I think it is a mistake to think of technology as "advancement". A lot of it isn't motivated by the desire to rid the universe of our ignorance (which is the only worthwhile definition of advancement I can think of) but more often the more base primitive afflictive emotions which are rooted in that very ignorance.

be well

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

be well

Whoa...! Man, are you full of s***...

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Originally Posted by Whoaman

be well

Whoa...! Man, are you full of s***...

Remember that scene in Indiana Jones when the swordsmen began wheeling his scimitar around in a very skilled and furious manner....and then Indy pulled his six shooter?.....

matrix86 matrix86 said:

madboyv1 said:

I would make the same argument for our current times, myself included (to a degree). Back then it was largely a lack of common knowledge and creativity. Now it is a matter of oversimplification and automation of tasks. When most of your college educated friends can't do simple math like leaving tip for a meal without the use of their in-phone calculator, or when people cannot write a statement without relying on spelling/grammar check, I think there's a problem..

I am sadly one of those people, lol. I can't do math in my head, and my spelling is terrible. But I can spend all day giving you lectures on music theory, I can teach people how to play musical instruments, I can make a mediocre choir into a competition choir, I can tweek the hell out of Windows, and I can memorize a monologue for a play in about 2 hours. When it comes to creativity, I got it. When it comes to the other stuff (math, spelling, history, anatomy) i'm as dumb as a brick, lol. But that's what makes me special :P

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

matrix86 said:

madboyv1 said:

Your a "right sider" Matrix

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Your a "right sider" Matrix

So a left-sider would be someone ground in the analytical, and...

a back-sider would be someone that knew ALL their sh...?

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

So a left-sider would be someone ground in the analytical, and...

a back-sider would be someone that knew ALL their sh...?

Geeez...I didn't even know there was a third side Chef

Now I can start telling the fanboys to get their head out of their side!

Whoaman said:

Wash the window and let some light shine in.

There is no meaning of life. Life subsumes meaning. And life is fleeting.

Connect the dots.

No future. No past. Only an infinite ever-undulating ocean of now. Ebbing and flowing to the erratic offbeats of misdirected hopes and fears.

What we call History is an amoeba's dream sleeping in a droplet of water marooned on the desert sand in the blistering afternoon sun.

Technology is that amoeba's pseudopod.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Wash the window and let some light shine in.

I did that, birds keep flying into the window

There is no meaning of life. Life subsumes meaning. And life is fleeting.

I thought it was "must see Thursday TV"

Connect the dots.

I did with my two year old...it was a pony.

No future. No past. Only an infinite ever-undulating ocean of now.

Three kids and a ill wife...I'm up to my *** in ' now'

Ebbing and flowing to the erratic offbeats of misdirected hopes and fears.

You have obviously never seen the movie "the Ring"...scary

I think they make SPF 50 for single cells.

Technology is that amoeba's pseudopod.

Only because they can't see over the steering wheel of a Veyron.

princeton princeton said:

Whoaman said:

be well

What the fu-. He was high. No I'm serious there's no other possible explanation. He just, got high and jumped on the internet.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

dividebyzero said:

Your a "right sider" Matrix

So a left-sider would be someone ground in the analytical, and...

a back-sider would be someone that knew ALL their sh...?

I'm a mid brainer then I guess. I have a considerable amount of analyticaland spatial talent, though not too much more than your average person. I too know some music theory and have considerable play time with a couple instruments, and driven by my urges and desires (a pun for the hypothalmus, which is near the center of the brain). I guess what sets me apart is more common sense and practical knowledge than most of the people I know, but who needs that nowadays? Also, my mother who would definitely be a "right sider" can do the kind of math I described in her head just as well (if not better lol) as my "left sider" father. =p

Anyways... How about dat awesome folding screen? I think someone mentioned an idea with such a screen being mashed between the equivalent of some book binding to make a digital book, I'd be interested in this.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Right, while reading either of his mellifluous rants, I pictured Tommy Chong taking a big hit and reciting that while Cheech giving at him with a WTF look. Have to hand it to him though....I think Opera would make it a 'book of the month' selection.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

And "Opera" should have "Whoaman" on her last show. I wonder what she'd do for the audience on that momentus occasion?

Wait, I know, "you get a fart, you get a fart, you get a fart,....[ ]....and you get a fart...!"

While he's not demonstrating to us how much he loves the sound of his own voice, or how "deep into it" he is, Whoaman is a defender of the "Appletonian" faith.

Accordingly, the fabled choice between the three doors becomes a moot point. There is no lady, there is no tiger. The three doors are labeled, "Port-a-Potty", and all there is to find, would be three foul smelling, steaming piles of post to try and clean up.

Wouldn't it be great if they made "Port-a-Potties" out of this new super flexible material? Then you wouldn't need as big a truck to deliver one to the site of Whoa's next rant....!

Diction in the title should be corrected..or maybe I'm just not up on my tech and should no what AMOLED means haha...when first read I thought it was referring to the phenomena where you can only fold a piece of paper IN HALF seven times. I was thinking..huh, thats a pretty big jump from 7 to over 100,000 folds...ha ha..

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

It would indeed....but when you folded it up, it would start to leak.....and...yuck

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Diction* in the title should be corrected..or maybe I'm just not up on my tech and should know what AMOLED means haha...when first read, I thought it was referring to the phenomena where you can [supposedly] only fold a piece of paper IN HALF seven times.

*You probably mean Grammar. I took the liberty of correcting some other the other "diction" errors in your sentence.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

DBZ... maybe you could clear something up for me also. Why must "IN HALF" be capitalized?

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Maybe just Guest/Random internet guy's psychotropic meds are only partially suppressing the urge to go full caps lock, or possibly Guest is under the impression that the myth of a sheet of paper only being able to be doubled over seven times is some kind of REVELATION

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well, as always, thanks for clearing up the "7 degrees of separation" from REALITY that "guest" brings to the table.

.I think Opera would make it a 'book of the month' selection.
On more thing though, was Red talking about "Orca Winfrey" here...?

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

On more thing though, was Red talking about "Orca Winfrey" here...?

Well how could I forget Oprah-harpo...at least Orca Winfrey hasn't made the dictionary yet.

We're gonna need a bigger boat.